Remodeling Prowler

AKMan279

Hello, I have decided to do some renovating inside our 2021 290BH Prowler and remove the rear bunks and expand the bathroom and storage. Has anyone done anything like this and if so what major concerns are there to worry about? We really have found the bunks useless as they are not near big enough for adults and very uncomfortable so we would rather have a bigger bathroom and more storage. Then we will swap out the useless jackknife couch that came with it and buy some theater seating style seating for that area. Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• 73B3DC8D-C8C8-44F1-B1F4-96ABA2E7EC0E.jpeg
    73B3DC8D-C8C8-44F1-B1F4-96ABA2E7EC0E.jpeg
    730 KB · Views: 10
  • A9BC1289-5B05-45CF-A8A6-69766CEA2D70.jpeg
    A9BC1289-5B05-45CF-A8A6-69766CEA2D70.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 10

thewanderingeight

Removing the bunks should be fairly straightforward. The only thing that may cause an issue is if they are using the bunks to hide wire runs or potentially holes that were cut for various building purposes. When I removed the dinette in my previous travel trailer, it left a hole for the water heater area exposed. I just made a little access door to cover it up.

I would be interested to know more about how you are planning to expand the bathroom!

AKMan279

Removing the bunks should be fairly straightforward. The only thing that may cause an issue is if they are using the bunks to hide wire runs or potentially holes that were cut for various building purposes. When I removed the dinette in my previous travel trailer, it left a hole for the water heater area exposed. I just made a little access door to cover it up.

I would be interested to know more about how you are planning to expand the bathroom!
We would like to create a larger shower, a bigger sink with some counter space, install a medicine cabinet (do not understand why they wouldn’t have put one in) and build some more storage for linens, towels and supplies. I know my water heater is in the rear under the bottom bunk and that the small storage is under the bottom bunk but we still have room to expand the bathroom by a foot or more in width for floor space and then the storage areas can be built above the areas that house the outside storage compartment and the water heater as long as we still make those accessible.

thewanderingeight

It sounds like you may need to move the wall to accomplish this task? If so you may want to find a way to do some exploratory scoping in the current wall to ensure there isn't something like a vent pipe already in there that will need to be dealt with.

You may also run into an issue with support. If you install a bigger shower, will there be a stud or something structural to screw into? Do you have enough room under the bigger shower to build the support platform? If the factory didn't put in a medicine cabinet, is there anything in the wall to attach one to?

Just a few things to mull over before you start. Please post pictures as you go along, I am sure it would inspire a lot of people to see what solutions you come up with.