Replacement Batteries

WBG

WBGavin
Any recommendations on replacement batteries? We have a 3570 which is not over three years old, and thought it would be good to make some plans just in case they give out. I think I would prefer to stay with two twelve volt batteries.

Thanks for your help.

Oregon_Camper

Do you dry camp? I replaced our factory batteries (Deca) with 2 Trojan t-1275's. They are not cheap, but they provide a lot of power!

WBG

WBGavin
I use NAPA Group 27 RV batteries, and the rig is plugged it 24/7

How long have you had them? Do you know the specs on the battery - Amp Hrs. etc.?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Do you dry camp? I replaced our factory batteries (Deca) with 2 Trojan t-1275's. They are not cheap, but they provide a lot of power!

We do not Dry Camp, at least so far. The rig came with Interstate HD24-DP Batteries and they have been fine so far. I have heard a lot of great things about the Trojan Batteries. This may be just the time to upgrade.

jnbhobe

This is my second pair I change them out at 5 years I think they are a hundred and 40 amp hour they were the best ones that they had

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

We do not Dry Camp, at least so far. The rig came with Interstate HD24-DP Batteries and they have been fine so far. I have heard a lot of great things about the Trojan Batteries. This may be just the time to upgrade.

First, I am huge fan of Trojan batteries. I’ve had them in my last 3 RV’s.

Now, if you’re just going from site to site, where you have AC power (ie...not dry camping), then I wouldn’t recommend you spend the money for Trojan batteries. I think you’d be well served by one deep cycle battery from Costco. I have heard great things about the Costco deep cycle battery.

It’s your money, but I think you’d be spending extra $$$ for no real benefit.

Jim.Allison

Any recommendations on replacement batteries? We have a 3570 which is not over three years old, and thought it would be good to make some plans just in case they give out. I think I would prefer to stay with two twelve volt batteries.

Thanks for your help.

Trojans do cost money, but they are industrial batts and are built to do what they say they will do. Properly cared for you can get 8 ++ years from a set. I strongly recommend the Trojan T1275 AGMs.

I have the Trojan T1275 in FLA. But I have recently become convinced in the capabilities and durability of the AGMs.

AGMs can endure deeper cycles and charge faster than FLAs. Yes they are an investment, but you will get great service from them. You might also consider "Continental Batteries". Their part number Relient T1275 AGM.

Take this opportunity to go to 12v batts, there is no advantage to using 6 volt batts in series to accomplish the same task as you can by using 12v batts, 6v require more cables and connections to do the same task.

Good Luck

Lynn1130

Everyone, to a person, I have talked to about AGM's over flooded and I have talked to a bunch of battery sales people, tell me that there is no advantage of AGM over flooded other than off gassing and any angle installation. At least two RV service shops told me that in all of the batteries that they have replaced they find that life is not that much better with an AGM and the expense is much greater. Believe me, I have tried to find a reason to replace my flooded with AGM but with the info that they do not last any longer, especially in Arizona, the expense is not worth it.

I know I am reviving a discussion that already has volumes of threads. This one is much like tires and trucks, where you sit is where you stand.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What would be the benefit of two 12-volt batteries over one?

I know the obvious . . . longer run time between charges . . .

I've been thinking of adding a second battery as our previous TT had two . . .

WBG

WBGavin
Thanks to everyone for their sage advice. Not sure what I am going to do at this point, but feel I have the basis for a much better decision, given your input.

Thanks again

WBG

Jim.Allison

What would be the benefit of two 12-volt batteries over one?

I know the obvious . . . longer run time between charges . . .

I've been thinking of adding a second battery as our previous TT had two . . .

Yes the obvious, two 12v 150 ah batts in parallel =12v, 300 ah.

BUT two 6v 100 ah batts in series = 12v, 100 ah.

So if you have two slot in your battery compartment, then you would be two 12v in parallel rather than six 6v batts in series then in parallel for 300 ah.

WBG

WBGavin

So if you have two slot in your battery compartment, then you would be two 12v in parallel rather than six 6v batts in series then in parallel for 300 ah.

Well said and right on!

WBG

JohnD

The battery compartment on our Prowler can be seen in my sig shot (the vertical door in front of the basement door) . . .

I would have to install a shelf above the current battery, but I think there would be room to add another battery.

I asked our dealership to put the two batteries from our Trail Runner in the Prowler, but they didn't do it for some reason.

They had a week from when I dropped off the Trail Runner for trade in until the day we picked up the Prowler . . .

Oh well!

Oregon_Camper

The battery compartment on our Prowler can be seen in my sig shot (the vertical door in front of the basement door) . . .

Why not simply move the batteries (yes…2 now) to the front compartment like the other 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheels? Then convert the existing battery location to storage for something else?

JohnD

Why not simply move the batteries (yes…2 now) to the front compartment like the other 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheels? Then convert the existing battery location to storage for something else?

You know . . . a small beer keg would probably fit in there perfectly! :cool:

wdk450

I found a guy on Craigslist in Sacramento who refurbishes and re-sells handicapped scooters and wheelchairs. He had 2 group 24 SLA deep cycle batteries for sale for about $70 each, and he posted that they tested good with a load tester. I have been using those 2 batteries in my 4 battery bank for about 4 years now. I also credit the Progressive 9200 series converter/charger with the 4 stage charge wizard for their long life.

I have a 2016 Big Country that has two batteries that need replacing. I want to either buy AGM or GEL (maintenance free?) batteries. Is there a particular brand that is better...reliable....warranty. I live in the hot Nevada desert. I've heard that NAPA batteries are great, especially their warranty that is honored by all dealers. Thank you for any input.

danemayer

Hi LasVegasEnnis,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure someone will have suggestions for you soon.

Oregon_Camper

I have a 2016 Big Country that has two batteries that need replacing. I want to either buy AGM or GEL (maintenance free?) batteries. Is there a particular brand that is better...reliable....warranty. I live in the hot Nevada desert. I've heard that NAPA batteries are great, especially their warranty that is honored by all dealers. Thank you for any input.

Will you be dry camping? If so, what is the normal amount of time you will be away from power?

Are you looking to simply replace what you have, or do you want "the best"?

I've been using Trojan batteries in my last 3 RV's and LOVE them. They do not come cheap, but they provide a lot of power for long dry camping trips.

Basically, I'm asking what are your goals for the battery? If you normally camp where there is power, then you're probably ok with just one low cost 12v battery.

Once you get your head wrapped around your battery solution....then start thinking about solar. Solar has allowed us to camp 21 days straight with no hookups and 100% power everyday.