Replacement hose for the flexible 1/2 inch hose

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I haven't checked the interior diameters, but another possibility might be to get a 4 ft. or 10 ft RV water hose and cut it up.

57chevyconvt

It has been several months since I was seriously looking for the white vinyl hose but my recollection is that the PEX clamp will not fit over the heavy duty clear plastic hose. I am sure that the clear plastic hose would do the job but would require worm clamps. I also recollect that the white vinyl hose ID is somewhat larger than the PEX fittings, therefore a considerable amount of squeezing is require to make the seal. Since I am currently in Ft. Lauderdale for the remainder of the month, I will venture over to West Marine's new store and check on hoses and fittings. Otherwise I think John's idea of using the regular 1/2" white hose that can be purchased at WalMart on the RV isle. Just sharing some thoughts.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think that the water hose stuff in most cases is not very sturdy. I think I want to use something a little more ridged that a water hose. But I maybe wrong.

57chevyconvt

Don't know about the water pipe routing in the Landmark's but in my BH, the water lines from the UDC if made from PEX poly pipe would reqire a lot of fittings to pipe up to the 3-way valves and the water pump. I believe the white vinyl hose has sufficient burst strength, it is just getting the correct hose ID to fit properly on the OD of the PEX fitting. As I write this note, I wish that I had the ID/OD measurements of the PEX poly pipe and the PEX fittings as compaired to the ID of the white vinyl hose. Will have to put that on my 'to do list'.

2psnapod2

My LM sounds just like yours. But I believe that most of my smaller leaks have been due to the connections on the flexible tubing. That's why I am looking for a little better product. as far as piping with pex it is doable, but not sure how much pressure I would loose.

JohnDar

If the RV water hose can handle what's coming from the CG spigot, it should be able to handle whatever pressure is on the other side of the UDC wall.

traveler44

When I replaced the check valve at the water heater I had a hard time getting the hoses off because they didn't want to swivel. I think these are the pex fittings. I feel lucky that I didn't twist some holes in this tubing getting it on and off. If I ever get at it I would like to put swivel fittings on enough hoses that they can be removed easier.

2psnapod2

John I know thats right, but the hose on there now seems to be the same kind as a water hose and is leaking. I am thinking that a little more ridged line might stop the leaks better. Right now the hose that is on my coach can be spun around even with the clamps tight. So a better hose with better clamps might work to stop the leaks.

jnbhobe

Something to remember when replacing the hose with Pex is that they use the hose to help keep the noise down. The vibration from the pump make the hard Pex lines vibrate and if they are touching anything will make a lot of noise especially when getting up to pressure just before shutdown.

JohnDar

John I know thats right, but the hose on there now seems to be the same kind as a water hose and is leaking. I am thinking that a little more ridged line might stop the leaks better. Right now the hose that is on my coach can be spun around even with the clamps tight. So a better hose with better clamps might work to stop the leaks.

If the hose is too stiff, you may run into a problem trying to compress it uniformly to conform to the barbs on the fitting. That and trying to bend it into the position you need. You can bend PEX some, according to this info I found.

http://plomberie.per.free.fr/Documents/PPFA 2002 PEX Installation Handbook.pdf

Table 1: Bending PEX
Tubing size (in.nominal) Tubing O.D. (in.) Minimum bending radius (in.) CTS
3/8 0.500 4
1/2 0.625 5
3/4 0.875 7
1 1.125 9

OK, copying it looks like doo-doo, but for 1/2" PEX, it says you can bend it down to a 5" radius.

lwmcguir

If the hose is too stiff, you may run into a problem trying to compress it uniformly to conform to the barbs on the fitting. That and trying to bend it into the position you need. You can bend PEX some, according to this info I found.

http://plomberie.per.free.fr/Documents/PPFA 2002 PEX Installation Handbook.pdf

Table 1: Bending PEX
Tubing size (in.nominal) Tubing O.D. (in.) Minimum bending radius (in.) CTS
3/8 0.500 4
1/2 0.625 5
3/4 0.875 7
1 1.125 9

OK, copying it looks like doo-doo, but for 1/2" PEX, it says you can bend it down to a 5" radius.

You can purchase the 90 degree radius PVC/plastic forms to hold the bend. We use them when plumbing and are available at all the box stores or on line.

porthole

Retired
Series 162 hose is rated "best" by west marine for all potable water systems, hot or cold, up to 250 PSI.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...001&storeId=11151&partNumber=214783&langId=-1

I have used this and the similar white jacketed hose with my PEX. I use the clamps that crimp by squeezing the tab. They fit on the hose. The clamps that are just a ring that get crimped around the entire circumference may not fit. The hose fits a little loose on the pex adapters, but have no issues being crimped up tight. I try and stay away from the worm gear clamps now for the small stuff.

Going right from a water pump into the trailer system I would use a piece of hose like above in a loop if possible.
As others mentioned, straight PEX to the water pump will make a racket