Replacement screws for 3055

patrick1945

At this point most of the screws on the outside of my Bighorn are rusting and would like to replace with stainless. I have taken one of the 1" OEM screws to the Big Box and couldn't find a stainless replacement or a knowledgeable sales rep.

So I am no going to look on the web but am unsure of the terminology I use when searching.

Besides Pan Head what else should be in the description?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At this point most of the screws on the outside of my Bighorn are rusting and would like to replace with stainless. I have taken one of the 1" OEM screws to the Big Box and couldn't find a stainless replacement or a knowledgeable sales rep.

So I am no going to look on the web but am unsure of the terminology I use when searching.

Besides Pan Head what else should be in the description?

Although this company is located only in Michigan, you might look for something similar in your area, rather than a big box/Chinese blister pack store. This is where I go when I need real fasteners.

http://www.midstatesbolt.com/

patrick1945

I did the prime and paint screws and they lasted for a few months and started to rust so I am going to do it once with stainless. My problem is the nomenclature of the screws so I will ask the factory to tell me what they specify.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
They are called 'Self drilling, square drive, pan head screws'. Probably #8. I don't know if you can get self drilling in stainless, but the holes are already drilled so you would not need self drilling.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Sometimes they are also called a (TEC) screw for the self drilling part. You could also look for a Hex Washer head witch would be a 1/4 in drive with a washer built in. I used to use them when I had TT's custom built. If just replacing screws you don't need the drill point.

pegmikef

I don't know if you have ace hardware or westlake hardware there, but if you do they have a lot better selection of screws, bolts, etc than the big box stores and they sell them loose (no package). I know they have a lot of stainless steel and if you are replacing, why does it necessarily have to be the square drive head as long as the screw is the right size?

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Stainless steel phillips pan head screws will work fine and will easier to find than the square head or tek (drill screws). You don't need the drill screw(drill point) on the end as your hole is already there. Any good hardware store should have a few in stock. Also mcmaster-carr.com will have them, maybe grainger.com too.

1231ChaseB

Hi ! I went on E-Bay and got a box of a hundred at a very good price ! Stuck them in a piece of card board and painted them white and replaced most of the screws in the unit ! I hate rust !!!!
Chaseb

caissiel

I get all my SS screws at the Home Depot here.
I keep a box for all the different size on the trailer. I replaced most of the screws with SS already and they do look better.
I learned from 17 years of pevious trailer ownership that the painted screws rust of at the treads and will ruin the material/hole they screw in. Hope SS will keep looking good for the rest of the life of the trailer. I removed all the panhead screws and replaced them with countersunk screws and they fit much better on some trims on the slide bottoms.