Replacing a leveling leg

Rodbuster

I noticed a hydraulic leak on a leveling leg on my 2014 Landmark (6 point leveling system). It's the middle leg on the off-door side, the one just under the udc. I called Heartland Customer Service and as always, they were great to work with. There were actually 3 issues (all minor). They said that they would send me the parts (including a complete leg assembly) and they pre-approved the warranty work to done at my dealership. I just hate to bring it to the dealer and have it tied up for who knows how long. Last time it was at the dealer, it was there "3 MONTHS" to get gasket shims put on the fridge. I'm not going to get into that, but that was very frustrating.

My question is, I've already taken care of 2 of the problems and I was wondering if I should tackle replacing the hydraulic leg???
Looking at the way the leg is installed on the coach, it really doesn't look like that big a deal....6 bolts and 4 hydraulic hoses.

My problem is, I don't know anything about hydraulics. Taking the bolts off would be easy enough, but what about the hoses. Are they under constant pressure, or is just 1 or 2 of the hoses under pressure (which ones)?
Should the slides be in or out, or does it matter?
Would it be OK to change the leg while the coach is parked and on the 2 front landing legs or should I take all of the weight off "all" of the legs and have the coach hooked up to my truck?
What kind of mess should I expect? Will the fluid steadily ooze out as I'm changing the leg?
Will the lines or system have to be purged after? If they do, how?
What else should I know or what else should I be asking?

I'm not scared to tackle this, I just don't want to create a larger problem and then still end up at the dealer.

Thank you
Dick

priorguy

You're asking all the right questions. I don't have the answer but I'm sure somebody will. Best of luck with your replacement. I've heard others say heartland approved a mobile tech to make warranty repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

First make sure you are hooked up to the truck. change the leg and make sure you get all the hoses back in the right place. I think the orange lines are pressure and the black are return lines. Then in manual mode run the Level-Up in and out to full extension a few times to purge the air out. You will loose some oil but not a lot and I would refill it with motor cycle fork oil like Lipert was useing at the rally. Leave the slides in.

marvmarcy

Since the jack is a Lippert product and under their warranty, you may wish to call them to see who they recommend for the replacement. I wouldn't do it myself while under warranty

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Since the jack is a Lippert product and under their warranty, you may wish to call them to see who they recommend for the replacement. I wouldn't do it myself while under warrant y

On our previous Landmark I had a hydraulic leak due to a leaky cylinder. It would have been an easy fix I could have done myself but Lippert told me it would not be warrantied if I did the repair myself. That I needed to take it to a RV repair shop. So that is what I did. They covered the repair under warranty that way.