Replacing Gear Reduction box

fast900

I am sure this has been done by many on here but here goes. This weekend I pulled out to take a quick trip to our local campground. When I hooked up and lifted the gear there was no problems but when I got to the campground and tried to set up, I heard some weird racket coming from the gear. I looked inside the storage and noticed the motor and box were turning freely because the feet that were supposed to hold it in place had broke off. This looks like a simple fix really but I have a few questions. Right now the camper is back in the driveway (the gear went up and down with no problems because I held it with my hand) and still hooked to the truck. When I get the new box, will I need to lift the legs up all the way and put something under them to make sure they don't come down or become misaligned? Eventually I will get an auto leveling system but for right now this is the only option. Also, I noticed on ebay when you search for landing gear reduction box, there are two on there that are made out of aluminum. Does anyone have any experience with using these items?

jnbhobe

I replaced one when I first got this rig, Its a real simple job.I just put jackstands under the frame. There is a dual motor upgrade from Venture that helps speed things up but not as fast as the hydralic landing gear.

fast900

thanks for the confidence boost! I am assuming when I remove the gear box the landing gear stays in place? When you replaced yours did you use the aluminum case one or did they send the plastic one?

jnbhobe

I just don't remember, I'll look when I get in that building I have the whole assembly laying on the floor.

wdk450

I am assuming when I remove the gear box the landing gear stays in place?

Yes. The worm drive on the leg bevel gear holds the weight without a drive shaft attached, but it is always safer with a jack/jackstands.