Residential fridge not running off inverter

antmo13

2022 heartland milestone 370flmb. So my residential fridge works fine hooked up to shore power. I have the inverter on all the time just in case and I have power going into and out of the inverter and transfer switch. Once I disconnect shore power the inverter is still on and I’m still getting power into the transfer switch but no power out of it and the fridge is off. I put a brand new transfer switch in and still the same issue. Also side note the remote switch inside the camper doesn’t turn the inverter on and off. It does nothing and there’s no light lit up on it, I think it’s supposed to turn green. The inverter is getting the proper voltage out and the gfci is good. Factory installed solar panel and charge controller

Bogie

Not sure what you are using to verify the inverter is working properly. It is possible for a malfunctioning inverter to show voltage but little or no current. You might try connecting another device (like a lamp) to the inverter output (before the transfer switch) to verify it is working properly.

CoveredWagon

Check the inverter GFI also I can't remember if the manual reset 50 amp circuit breaker is in the circuit or not, but check it for reset. Lastly you need to hold the remote switch for several seconds to turn the inverter on.

Piperflyer

The remote switch can light up and show that the inverter is on, but actually the GFI plug on the inverter itself needs to be reset.

wdk450

Seems I have heard a number of GFI problems with the inverters over the year, including a well known member of the forum finally removing the GFI after replacing it several times.
I believe that many of the brands of GFI outlets have circuitry that is overly sensitive to AC power line noise glitches, and (non true sine wave) inverters switch a lot of DC current in producing a step power waveform which can produce a lot of noise spikes on the power waveform.

roy2

not sure if this will help on my inverter there is a little push button on the inverter it self try pushing it in never know.

antmo13

Ok so I’ll try to give as many details as I can. The inverter comes on when I press the button on the side of the inverter. I plugged my shop vac in to test and it worked (although the inverter started to say the load was too much) still no green light on the remote switch inside (I held it for over a minute) still power coming from the Inverter gfi to the transfer switch but once I unplug from shore power I have no power leaving the transfer switch. I’m thinking something is Mia wired somewhere. Like I said I already changed the transfer switch which was apparently a waste of money. The speakers were wired incorrectly when I bought this so maybe the messed up the wiring with this too. I’ll continue my troubleshooting this week

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have a Non contact Volt meter ? This will make life so much easier to track down what wires are hot and what are not. You can check both wires coming out of the transfer switch then go down the line from there.. I Think there is a junction box on the frame under the slide with the wires, wire nutted together. the problem could be in there. I had a bad Transfer switch on ours, and I've help delete the GFI on 2 other friends Inverter. Pretty easy to do.

Here is a link to one of many on Amazon, or run get one from a hardware store.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

Ok so I’ll try to give as many details as I can. The inverter comes on when I press the button on the side of the inverter. I plugged my shop vac in to test and it worked (although the inverter started to say the load was too much) still no green light on the remote switch inside (I held it for over a minute) still power coming from the Inverter gfi to the transfer switch but once I unplug from shore power I have no power leaving the transfer switch. I’m thinking something is Mia wired somewhere. Like I said I already changed the transfer switch which was apparently a waste of money. The speakers were wired incorrectly when I bought this so maybe the messed up the wiring with this too. I’ll continue my troubleshooting this week
still no green light on the remote switch inside
Is the inverter a Magnum 1000-watt? That is what was installed on our Road Warrior, before we installed a full rig solar system.

Check the communication cable from the switch to the inverter and make sure it is plugged into the inverter good & tight. This cable looks like the old telephone cord. If, this is plugged in to the inverter, remove the switch and make sure no wires are broken on the back of the switch. This cable is soldered to the switch so, no plug in on the switch.
Is battery wired correctly to the inverter?
Battery disconnect switch on?
With shore power off, what is the voltage at the power in of the inverter from the batteries?
With shore power off, what is the voltage at the outlet of the inverter?
With the shore power off and the transfer switch plugged into the inverter, I am assuming you are not getting power at the outlet end of the transfer switch. Is it possible you may have gotten a bad transfer switch, even if it new?

antmo13

Well nice day for my multimeter to crap out. I tried checking the voltage from the batteries at the power in of the inverter and I got a quick ready but now my multimeter just reads 0. I checked ac and dc on outlets in my house and still 0. Maybe something shorted it out when I checked the battery voltage 🤷🏻‍♂️. Will update during the week when I get a new multimeter

wdk450

About a year ago one of my old DVM's went south, and I was looking around on E-Bay for a replacement. I like the more compact pen style that takes up much less room in the toolbox than a conventional handheld sized DVM. Well, I was surprised to find a number of the newer DVM;s have a non contact AC voltage detector built in.
Here is a link to something like what I bought:

antmo13

Ok making some progress. I ram an extension cord from inverter to the fridge it’s working perfectly. I found the only hot wire (when not on shore power) running behind the stove and fridge but not to the fridge outlet. Not sure where it goes actually but I followed it from transfer switch to junction box under fridge slide then it disappears somewhere behind the fridge but it’s def not to the outlet. My guess is that they mis wired it because it should be wired to the fridge outlet obv. Any clue where this hot wire could be going ? I guess I’ll just run a new wire to the fridge when I find out where this one is going