RESOLVED: Bighorn Switch and Breaker Questions

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Dah Questions

More good information to work with.

The converter is working normally, but if it is not a smart charger, I will eliminate it and go with the inverter/charger I am installing which does have a smart charger. I was interested in the existing converter because if it is a smart charger, it is 60a, my inverter/charger is only 30a. The charger portion of the inverter can be switched off if I want to use the converter instead.

Most likely your converter is a Progressive Dynamics PD9260, same as mine. It is a smart charger, according to the attached manual. PD also sells an indicator pendant (Charge Wizard) that gets plugged into the converter and the display can be mounted where you can see it. That's it next to the display for the suppressor.

One other note: if you're sitting in your rig and have some of the 12V lights on, you may notice them suddenly get brighter. No worries, that's just the converter putting a boost charge on the battery. When it's done, the lights dim back.

StuartT

I just looked in and the post I thought I made this afternoon to you didn't post. Let's try again.
The owners manual indicates it is a three stage smart charger so I can use it instead of the inverter's charger and double the charging. That's great.
And I like that remote. If not to pricey, I will be ordering up. Thanks John for the heads up and picture/manual.

StuartT

Hey John, I found and ordered the Pendant, but I connot seem to find that digital display. Do you know what the model or part number is?

JohnDar

The digital display is for my surge suppressor and is not related to the converter. If the cable that comes with the Charge Wizard is too short, you can make up a longer one with a length of 2-pair phone cable and the correct jack ends. I don't remember the number of the plugs, but I got them as part of a kit at Home Depot.

StuartT

The Progressive Industries threw me. I thought it was the same company and was displaying charge amperage.

JohnDar

The converter is made by Progressive Dynamics. The surge suppressor is made by Progressive Industries. They're not the same company.

wdk450

The converter is made by Progressive Dynamics. The surge suppressor is made by Progressive Industries. They're not the same company.

Mea Culpa. Too many similar "Progressive"'s in the RV electrical equipment business.

StuartT

I want to wrap up this thread, share some things I did, and thank everyone for their help.

The rear jack motor was all rusty inside and I ordered a new motor from Klauber Machine and Gear, the manufacturer. $126 plus shipping.

2000 watt inverter is in with new batteries and now all outlets in living area are on inverted power including the satellite receiver, DVD and TV.

Deep six'ed that awful Heartland stock mattress and squeezed in a 72 x 80 RV-King foam mattress from lastingimpressionsfoam.com. $500 for the 12" model. Hope it is not to hot with that 3" topper layer.

Installed a reverse osmosis water system ($250 plus shipping) in the basement which will feed the water tank and all water will be R.O. in the system. Raw water at our house is about 250 PPM, the RO water now in the trailer is 18 PPM, quite and improvement. Bought from RVwaterfilterstore.com.

We are going to spend the month of January at Pueblo El Mirage in El Mirage, AZ so will get a chance to check everything else out before we venture too far away from home.