Retirement and 2 Mega Trips

Greengas

Well, that time is almost upon us. Sarah retires the end of this month and I call it done in May. And then, its time to hit the road. My plan it to lay out the basics of our trips here and get what ever kind of inputs, suggestions, "stay away froms" and of course, "Hey, you are going to be so close to us, how about stopping by for come coffee" etc., we can get from our Heartland Family. I'm a planning nerd and already have a pretty serious spreadsheet going. There are some stops such as military FAMCAMPS that we have to reserve in advance and other stops where we will see what's available.

Our first trip is set for 50 days and starts with 10 days at Cherry Creek State Park to get the rig ready. Sarah wants me build a new cabinet and a bunch of other honey do's.
From there, Regional Rally in Pueblo, then Buena Vista, and on to Glenwood Springs (Rifle Gap State Park). We leave Colorado and spend some time in MOAB and Capitol Reef. From there we are heading to Hill AFB, then Mt Home AFB and work our way to Portland Oregon for a few days. Then I figure, since we live in the mountains it would be nice to be by the ocean so we are going to the Oregon North West coast (maybe Cannon Beach, Tilimook, etc) for a bit before heading to Whidbey Island in Washington. We will use the FAMCAMP there as a travel point for the Seattle area including some of the islands. And while we love our country, you can't be that close to Vancouver and not spend a few days there. When we leave Canada we will be heading to Couer D'Alene, ID to visit family and then make a bee line back to Aurora because we have 2nd row tickets at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts to see Les Miserables. Wow, from hitting Cherry Creek Park on 29 May to returning home on 14 Jul it will be quite a ride. I've got the point to point travel spec'd at almost 4k.

And who wants to stay home anyway so we leave after 2 weeks and go for the big, almost 60 day trip that will take us from Aurora, to Auburn, Univ, to Key West, (after a week long stay in Tamarac Fl visiting family) then back up the coast thru St Augistine, Fl, Savanah, GA, Charleston, SC, Norfolk, VA, Washington D.C. down to Knoxville where we will go to a family reunion and pick up Sarah's Mom and Dad for the return trip to Aurora. On the way back we will be hitting some of the Little House on Prairie sites in Mansfield, MO and Independence, KS. This one will log over 6k in point to point driving.

Ok, so along with the ideas, suggestions, etc., I also want to make sure I have the right tools with me. I have a pretty good tool kit and compressor but should I have a grease gun? Or some other tool I've not thought of?

Sarah and I are so excited and I just know that your suggestions and comments are going to make these already great trips even better.

rxbristol

Looks like you have planned out your trip. Suggestions:

1. Make sure you have Coach-Net for road side service.
2. Satellite view your roads, rest, fuel and final stops so there are no surprises.
3. Have the best tires you can get...Link
4. Know where you can go if someone gets sick.
5. Make reservations.

Alan_B

Those trips look great!

When in Moab spend some time in Arches National Park. If you like to hike be sure to do the Fiery Furnace and Devils Garden loop. Fiery Furnace is ranger led and you have to sign up for it in advance.

Garypowell

Back in ‘96 when we went full time for the first time to travel 10 SE states with our business I planned and listed, and prethought everything I could. We had only camped one night in our then 25 year marriage.

So we overpacked and and headed out into the “wilderness”. First night we stayed south of St. Louis and were surprised to find a Walmart 2 miles away!

point here is resist overthinking. Sure you want to have your basic tools and such but you can either buy on the road or keep a list for what you forgot when you swing back by Home at the end of the first trip.

You have had your rig for a while and in reality there is not much more you need than you have taken on other trips. Maybe an extra book or two to read....

jbeletti

Those trips look great!

When in Moab spend some time in Arches National Park. If you like to hike be sure to do the Fiery Furnace and Devils Garden loop. Fiery Furnace is ranger led and you have to sign up for it in advance.

^^ Agree with this ^^ Also other areas in UT look amazing from Trace Wescott's pictures I've seen. Monuments Valley I think.

MTPockets

Those trips look great!

Arches is very nice, but don’t miss Canyon Lands National Park... Our Personal Preference... our first trip to Moab was to see Arches and we missed Canyonlands; big mistake. Fortunately we stopped in next time to Moab and fell in love! We’ve been back and don’t go to Arches... not too far away is also Capital Reef National Park.... All great visits!

mlpeloquin

Looks like you have planned out your trip. Suggestions:

1. Make sure you have Coach-Net for road side service.
2. Satellite view your roads, rest, fuel and final stops so there are no surprises.
3. Have the best tires you can get...Link
4. Know where you can go if someone gets sick.
5. Make reservations.

Good list. For fuel use GasBuddy app. Middle of PA, in our old class C, with nothing but trees and great scenery. Then I noticed that we were low on fuel. GasBuddy showed a station 1.5 miles down the road from the next exit. Not a sign of a town or that fuel was available. Always use it on the road.

IF you are going to Washington DC, and want a great place to stay, Cherry Hill Park, Maryland http://www.cherryhillpark.com/ You will need to make reservations ASAP. They fill in fast!

Just to let you know, stay away from the turnpikes and toll roads unless you bring plenty of cash. Cleaned us out just short of $300.00 going from south of DC to Connecticut. Got me for five axles when we had the class C with five axles! Yes if you have an axle riding on another it is counted for tolls. If you are planning to go over the Washington bridge, get to the left ASAP for the proper exit. This rout will take you through the Bronx, New York. That road is very narrow, about the width of a dully plus a foot maybe, and is/was full of large pot holes. Keeping within the lane on swerves was not easy.

carl.swoyer

Well, that time is almost upon us. Sarah retires the end of this month and I call it done in May. And then, its time to hit the road. My plan it to lay out the basics of our trips here and get what ever kind of inputs, suggestions, "stay away froms" and of course, "Hey, you are going to be so close to us, how about stopping by for come coffee" etc., we can get from our Heartland Family. I'm a planning nerd and already have a pretty serious spreadsheet going. There are some stops such as military FAMCAMPS that we have to reserve in advance and other stops where we will see what's available.

Our first trip is set for 50 days and starts with 10 days at Cherry Creek State Park to get the rig ready. Sarah wants me build a new cabinet and a bunch of other honey do's.
From there, Regional Rally in Pueblo, then Buena Vista, and on to Glenwood Springs (Rifle Gap State Park). We leave Colorado and spend some time in MOAB and Capitol Reef. From there we are heading to Hill AFB, then Mt Home AFB and work our way to Portland Oregon for a few days. Then I figure, since we live in the mountains it would be nice to be by the ocean so we are going to the Oregon North West coast (maybe Cannon Beach, Tilimook, etc) for a bit before heading to Whidbey Island in Washington. We will use the FAMCAMP there as a travel point for the Seattle area including some of the islands. And while we love our country, you can't be that close to Vancouver and not spend a few days there. When we leave Canada we will be heading to Couer D'Alene, ID to visit family and then make a bee line back to Aurora because we have 2nd row tickets at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts to see Les Miserables. Wow, from hitting Cherry Creek Park on 29 May to returning home on 14 Jul it will be quite a ride. I've got the point to point travel spec'd at almost 4k.

And who wants to stay home anyway so we leave after 2 weeks and go for the big, almost 60 day trip that will take us from Aurora, to Auburn, Univ, to Key West, (after a week long stay in Tamarac Fl visiting family) then back up the coast thru St Augistine, Fl, Savanah, GA, Charleston, SC, Norfolk, VA, Washington D.C. down to Knoxville where we will go to a family reunion and pick up Sarah's Mom and Dad for the return trip to Aurora. On the way back we will be hitting some of the Little House on Prairie sites in Mansfield, MO and Independence, KS. This one will log over 6k in point to point driving.

Ok, so along with the ideas, suggestions, etc., I also want to make sure I have the right tools with me. I have a pretty good tool kit and compressor but should I have a grease gun? Or some other tool I've not thought of?

Sarah and I are so excited and I just know that your suggestions and comments are going to make these already great trips even better.
Haven't read your whole post , but mwr sigsbee famcamp is as of now by reservations only. This is due to hurricane Irma. Limited sites available. The Navy gateways reservation line is your best bet. Or go to the website and select Campground then key West. The first day they reopened I was able to secure a reservation for January 26 2018 . 6 weeks out the first morning of reservation system opening.
Side note,
Passport America great savings! You get your membership back the first two nights.
Another incredible savings army corps of engineers Parks
We have never made a reservation until Keywest famcamp got hit by Irma. We booked for 30 days and when I check in I'll extend 60 more days . I'm bringing the Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel and my 2017 Carolina Skiff 21 ultra elite for fishing. We will be staying in dry camp the whole 90 days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
When my wife and I started I made a determination to do as many advance reservations as possible. I did this because I know my driving habits. I am prone to want to drive just a little further before stopping for the night. This would end with long days, many miles and exhaustion.
We returned home, Florida, last August after being on the road for four months driving 10,000 miles and staying in 36 different campgrounds. Prior to leaving Florida I had made reservations for 30 of the camp grounds. This has worked well for us over the past 5 years that we have been traveling. I use RV Trip Wizard for my travel app. It allows me to not only choose destinations but add fuel stops as well. I leave days of rest along the way. You can get so busy doing tourist things you should provide a day to rest and recharge your body.
I use Google Earth, a lot, to review roads and more importantly the chosen campground.
I am a retired contractor so I understand the theory of "load all the tools you can". My first trip that took us out to the Grand Canyon included carrying a miter saw and table saw, air compressor, nail guns, power saws, cordless drills and you name it I probably had it. Over kill and over loaded I have since learned. I travel lite and when I need a tool I either purchase it or borrow from a fellow camper. Any tools I buy I leave in the rig as part of standard equipment.
A previous post said don't over think equipping your rig. Good advice and I would add don't over load your trip with doing to much in to short of time. That's why you call it RETIREMENT. Have fun and enjoy.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
So by my calculations, loosely, you will be traveling about 750 miles a week on your longest trip. That is ambitious to me. My only suggestion is to slow down somewhere and regenerate. As far as things to see, I am positive you will not lack for any, but you will not have time for much either. Safe travels either way.

dykesj11

I second the recommendations for GasBuddy and RVTripWizard. TripWizard lets you plan your trip, record notes, provides lots of info on campsites including FAMCAPS and other Federal campgrounds. It's an excellent tool. A gold nugget for us our first year crossing the country - there are not a lot of Corps of Engineers sites in southern California but there are many across the midwest and probably East Coast. Give'em a look. They are usually very well kept and if you have the Senior Access, they are about $13/day. We loved them. Two bits of advice. First is GPS and you'll find all sorts of discussion on here. I use CoPilot for Trucks/RVs on my IOS devices. There are other apps as well as Garmin, Magellan, etc. The point here is that you use one designed for RVs. Theoretically, they will keep you off a route with a >14' bridge or other obstacle and we have so far found that to be true. Secondly and something else I learned here an on the road. I too like to plan everything well ahead. But you are retired now - don't get too attached to your schedule. You are going to find all sorts of things you can see as long as you don't have to be somewhere by a certain time. Somebody on this forum pointed out that except for holiday weekends, he had never had a problem finding a site and often called the same day he was arriving.

Oh yeah - hit the rallies. This is the best bunch of folks around. There a lot of fun and I have yet to attend one that I didn't learn something.

Have fun!!!