RM1350 IMBS Better cooling suggestions

I own a 2011 Bighorn 3670RL 5th with a Dometic RM1350 IMBS 4 door side by side fridge/ freezer that happens to be in one of the slides. Seem to be having a problems keeping the temperature down under 40 with the fridge set on maximum cold level 5. As the outside temp increases the problem seems to get worse. Any ideas out there to help me keep this fridge cool ??
Thanks Joe

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things you can do.
There are a couple of small cooling fans located on the rear of the refrigerator. They are controlled by a small button thermostat attached to the fins. If those fans are not running when the temp goes up you can try to jumper the two wires that gore to that thermostat. The fans will then run continuous. That might help some.
You could also swap those two fans with to that are a little larger. They are12 volt computer fans and run about $15.
Another worthwhile mod is to add a baffle near the upper vent to direct the air over the top cooling fins.
I'll add some pics later today.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I own a 2011 Bighorn 3670RL 5th with a Dometic RM1350 IMBS 4 door side by side fridge/ freezer that happens to be in one of the slides. Seem to be having a problems keeping the temperature down under 40 with the fridge set on maximum cold level 5. As the outside temp increases the problem seems to get worse. Any ideas out there to help me keep this fridge cool ??
Thanks Joe

There's a troubleshooting flowchart for the RM1350 in this folder.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I tried all the improvements suggested. Nothing helped. Finally concluded that the last step on the troubleshooting chart should be "Replace with Residential Refrigerator".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lwmcguire

There are a couple of things you can do.
There are a couple of small cooling fans located on the rear of the refrigerator. They are controlled by a small button thermostat attached to the fins. If those fans are not running when the temp goes up you can try to jumper the two wires that gore to that thermostat. The fans will then run continuous. That might help some.
You could also swap those two fans with to that are a little larger. They are12 volt computer fans and run about $15.
Another worthwhile mod is to add a baffle near the upper vent to direct the air over the top cooling fins.
I'll add some pics later today.

Peace
Dave

I did all Dave described as well as insulating the top of the fridge. Helped a lot and was able to actually stay below 40 with the doors opening during the day. You certainly cant have it in the sun and high temp inside and keep it cool. The slide cover helped a bit as well.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I tried all the improvements suggested. Nothing helped. Finally concluded that the last step on the troubleshooting chart should be "Replace with Residential Refrigerator".

Gus, that's funny.....but true.
I am one of good fortunate as our RM1350 has held at 37° for seven years now.
For the OP here are a couple of pics of the baffle mod.
You can also see the little thermostat with red wires going to it.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• baffle 2.jpg
    baffle 2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 57
  • baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

mlpeloquin

I haven't done the baffle, but I did make a jumper cable to take the fan thermostat out of the circuit. The external fans run all the time. Now I have the refrigerator setting at 1 or 2 with the internal temperature at 34 to 38. I haven't been in the south with this setup in humid high temperatures yet. I think I will also add the baffle. I also added fans inside the refrigerator. When I first had the external fans running all the time I set the setting to 4. It was 28 degrees in the refrigerator and falling. So long as the inside fans are running, it can get down to 32 and nothing freezes up. Without the fans well things like lettuce don't do so well.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Gus, that's funny.....but true.
I am one of good fortunate as our RM1350 has held at 37° for seven years now.
For the OP here are a couple of pis of the baffle mod.
You can also see the little thermostat with red wires going to it.

Peace
Dave

Is the bug on the baffle an option?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Is the bug on the baffle an option?

I must have done that mod in the fall cause that's the only time we see those Box Elder Bugs.
I'm surprised to see only one there.

Peace
Dave