Route Planning - around/through Chicago

Codah

Any suggestions on the best route to get from Madison WI to Ann Arbor MI
to get through or bypass Chicago via interstate? Appreciate any comments!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Well, from Madison, you could take I-39 south to I-80 east and miss all but the lower end of Chicago. Then pick up I-94 into Michigan. You still have to worry about the mix-match on I-80 where traffic is always heavy, but to me, it's not so much the route you take as it is the time you take it. Avoid driving within 50 miles of Chicago any time between 6 AM and 10 AM on weekdays. The best time to drive around/through Chicago is early Sunday morning. Then you only have to compete with truck traffic which is always present. This year, I'll be traveling from Kenosha, WI to Michigan on Thursday July 2nd and I intend to take the tri-state toll way but I won't leave Kenosha until 9 so I get to Chicago around 10. Hope this helps a little bit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is no best route through Chicago and like Keith said "The best time to drive around/through Chicago is early Sunday morning".
From Madison I would take I-39 to I-90 then pick up I-894 to I-80 east.
If you make frequent pit stops don't count on finding a spot at any of the oasis while traveling around Chicago. Trucks pretty much occupy them.
If you don't have an IPass or similar don't forget about those annoying toll stops.

Peace
Dave

iowaone

Yep i355 or I294 to I80 is best bet. I believe construction on i90 is complete. That has been a bear the last two years. Get a I pass it will save you half on tolls and a lot of time since you want have stop at toll booths. It will the best $10 + $40 deposit you have made.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I-pass also works on some other state toll systems, EZpass in Indiana and other eastern states are one system.

I-pass also does not expire or have any activity fees when not using it for long periods of time. We use ours just a couple of times a year. It is worth it especially traveling westbound on I-80 and the I-80 toll stops are backed up for quite a distance, while you have I-pass and can bypass most of the traffic backup waiting to pay.