RV in Naples, Italy.

Sandpirate69

Here I am in Naples, Italy on military orders. Well driving around I've seen a few RVs. Its amazing how they get around here. I would be so scared, 2 lane highway 3-4 cars in the lanes. I'll be returning home soon. Can't wait to hit the highway for a short vacation.

uramahe3.jpg
qyqyhu5e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378739426955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378739426955.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 38

truknutt

Committed Member
Are you stationed there? I was stationed there twice and would love to return for a long visit. Thanks for your service, btw!

olcoon

I don't envy you being in Naples! While in the Navy we pulled in there quite often, felt like Naples was our home port instead of Norfolk, VA! There was a lot about that city I didn't like. I can agree with you on the traffic & RVing there. I wouldn't have wanted to drive a car, let alone an RV. At least when I was there (late 60's & early 70's) those people drive crazy! Several of us were in a cab going from the Navy base back to Fleet Landing & the driver got into a race with another cabbie. We were in the lead & the driver looked back at the other cab, when a guy in a parked car at the curb made a U turn in front of us & we "T-boned" him. No one got hurt, but I couldn't believe the crowd that appeared & it sounded like a riot was going to break out. We finally left & later found out if we had stayed, we would have had to pay for the damages! Are the Navy base & NATO base still there? Used to go to the NATO base they had a very good restaurant there. Thanks for your service!!!

Sandpirate69

No, im not stationed here. I'm assigned to a particular unit many people watch on TV. Therefore, that being said im a reservist in the US Navy. I did my active duty time in late 80's early 90's and then returned to be a reservist. There are 2 Navy bases here. 1 next to the Capodechino Airport and one off of Villa Latorno. Yes, there is Nato Base in Lago Patria. The driving here is out of control. I've been driving here for over a month and it's crazy. I've been to Rome, Milan, Sicily, & Birra. I'm ready to go home and see my family. Ready for a short road trip. I'll post some more RV pics that I was able to take.

And thank you, as long as I have a breath in me I will fight for my country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sandpirate69

I was on a mission to buy my wife and daughters some pretty jewelry items from the Cameii store and I came across this campground. I wasn't able to get down in to it because I was in a hurry. I finally go home early Wednesday, so I'm finishing packing.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379291846498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379291846498.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379291864504.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379291864504.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 48

pegmikef

Hey it is no big deal pulling an RV in Italy or Austria or Germany for that matter as the European models (called caravans) are lighter and tend to be on small side (5 to 8 meters), When we were stationed at Augsburg, Germany we had one about seven meters long and pulled it all over southern Germany, Austria and northern Italy as far south as Pisa. No problem and since it was on the small side it was pretty easy to negotiate the mountain ranges. Our tow vehicle was a 71 Ford Torino Station Wagon with the old 351 V8 to which I added air bags. It was a nice way to see the sights and we did it for two years. Now, I don't think I would consider pulling a fiver there.

RoadJunkie

Austria and Germany, yes. Italy I'm not sure I would, largely because manuvering through small towns and villages (which appels to me) would be difficult do to narrow streets. Not to mention parking would be a nigtmare. There is more than one reason the Italians drive around in itty-bitty cars.

pegmikef

Yeah, but Italy has so many nice campgrounds. One of our favorites was right on Lake Garda (Lago de Garda) about 25 kilometers outside of Verona. The caravans were all backed in up against a hillside on the beach of the lake. All had awnings with lights and at night it looked like a very festive village. There was always music . . . very romantic and something you just can't find anymore with everything (including national parks) so commercialized.