Sailun Tires

Sawdocmd

Sure it is. Just sometimes not feasible due to time constraints. May you one day join those of us that have none.

"I'll be there when I get there, wherever there is" My motto

Let me clarify! I don't possess the patients to go that slow. Plus I have a 2 and 4 yr old. Even with dvd's they still only have a certain amount of time they will sit still. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

That's good for a big rig trailer..

What are you pulling with? Stock?

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Sawdocmd

That's good for a big rig trailer..

What are you pulling with? Stock?

2014 F-350 drw. Its stock for now. Warranty ends in December. Just in time for Christmas!
f05f666c0e80c5969d3e738a5a3bf211.jpg

IronJ

Yeah..I remember the good mileage of stock truck ( no lift no wheels)...

I have my egr block and mbrp exhaust sitting in the garage...I have the afe intake on now and have a tuner but not deleted ....YET!! it ain't the same!! It's salty on the extreme race tune...real salty!!...can't wait

danemayer

Driving 70-80 mph is your choice, but there are a few things to be aware of:

Here's a table that shows total stopping distance for a car traveling at different speeds. Col 1 is mph. Col 2 fps. Col 3 is braking distance. Col 4 is reaction time distance. Col 4 is total stopping distance.
Note that 75 requires about an extra 100 feet to stop compared to 65. And of course these distances are for cars. Your stopping distance with a trailer behind you will be much, much longer.

Another thing to consider is the speed rating of the tire. I'm not sure if your Sailuns are rated to 75 mph, but I'll be they're not rated any higher. Some tire engineers argue that the speed ratings should be treated like a tachometer red line for the engine. Crossing the line will lead to damage. In the case of tires, excess speed causes excess flex of the steel, which builds up internal heat faster than the tire can dissipate the heat. The heat buildup damages the internal fibers of the tire eventually leading to catastrophic failure. Damage is cumulative and irreversible.

Yet another thing to consider is the impact forces you're applying to the trailer. When you hit a bump, the faster you're going, the higher the vertical force up and then down. Combine that with the bad road surfaces in many parts of the country. Somewhere down the road you may discover serious problems that you'll want to blame on the manufacturer. I can't speak to the trailer's engineering design point, but I'd be surprised if it includes driving at 80 mph.

Your call.

Sawdocmd

Driving 70-80 mph is your choice, but there are a few things to be aware of:

Here's a table that shows total stopping distance for a car traveling at different speeds. Col 1 is mph. Col 2 fps. Col 3 is braking distance. Col 4 is reaction time distance. Col 4 is total stopping distance.
Note that 75 requires about an extra 100 feet to stop compared to 65. And of course these distances are for cars. Your stopping distance with a trailer behind you will be much, much longer.

Another thing to consider is the speed rating of the tire. I'm not sure if your Sailuns are rated to 75 mph, but I'll be they're not rated any higher. Some tire engineers argue that the speed ratings should be treated like a tachometer red line for the engine. Crossing the line will lead to damage. In the case of tires, excess speed causes excess flex of the steel, which builds up internal heat faster than the tire can dissipate the heat. The heat buildup damages the internal fibers of the tire eventually leading to catastrophic failure. Damage is cumulative and irreversible.

Yet another thing to consider is the impact forces you're applying to the trailer. When you hit a bump, the faster you're going, the higher the vertical force up and then down. Combine that with the bad road surfaces in many parts of the country. Somewhere down the road you may discover serious problems that you'll want to blame on the manufacturer. I can't speak to the trailer's engineering design point, but I'd be surprised if it includes driving at 80 mph.

Your call.

I feel like I'm being scolded by my parents for speeding! Lol. I completely understand what your saying. The hotter it got the slower I went.(70-72) I usually drove 75 at night with temps around 70 deg. 80 was just to pass mostly. As far as stopping distance I'm usually very cautious about distances while pulling. I do appreciate the info though.

IronJ

Sailun speed are rated to 75...so the tires don't concern me much at 70...

I too understand the extra everything it takes the faster you go....but some roads in TX are 80 and even 85 speed limit...so I feel more at risk farting at 60-64 than upping it to 70.....because round here if it says 75 they go 85...and so forth...

Obviously the situation dictates what's safe...i don't go 70 in bumper to bumper traffic....

Usually when we travel it's no car for a mile or more!!..

Whatever you choose make sure you do it wisely...

I'll let you pass if you wanna go fast!!....and I'll give you plenty of room too...I can't control the other drivers, but I can do what I need to be safe!!

I just don't like the 5-6 mpg I average

Sawdocmd

Sailun speed are rated to 75...so the tires don't concern me much at 70...

I too understand the extra everything it takes the faster you go....but some roads in TX are 80 and even 85 speed limit...so I feel more at risk farting at 60-64 than upping it to 70.....because round here if it says 75 they go 85...and so forth...

Obviously the situation dictates what's safe...i don't go 70 in bumper to bumper traffic....

Usually when we travel it's no car for a mile or more!!..

Whatever you choose make sure you do it wisely...

I'll let you pass if you wanna go fast!!....and I'll give you plenty of room too...I can't control the other drivers, but I can do what I need to be safe!!

I just don't like the 5-6 mpg I average

Believe me, I want to be safe too. I have my two babies with me. Everything I do is within reason. For this trip time was more important than fuel. Most of my faster speeds were on flat roads with speed limits of 80mph. Obviously in the mountains and tights roads and turns I couldn't get close to that.

IronJ

Believe me, I want to be safe too. I have my two babies with me. Everything I do is within reason. For this trip time was more important than fuel. Most of my faster speeds were on flat roads with speed limits of 80mph. Obviously in the mountains and tights roads and turns I couldn't get close to that.

Exactly...I always have my family with me and their safety is important...

I don't feel I ever push the limits of anything...even when I'm driving 70 ...

My only issue was with craptastic fuel mileage my behemoth rig consumes at those speeds...lol

wdk450

Exactly...I always have my family with me and their safety is important...

I don't feel I ever push the limits of anything...even when I'm driving 70 ...

My only issue was with craptastic fuel mileage my behemoth rig consumes at those speeds...lol

No scolding here. Please just think long and hard about stopping 8 tons of hitched trailer at 75 mph if one or more trailer tires blows out. Can you prevent jackknifing? Can you prevent rollover? Think about your family (of course) but also of the greater human family surrounding you on the roadways.

I was driving on I-215 North of San Diego yesterday and got into a good sized traffic tie up. A pickup truck towing a mini loader on a flatbed had jackknifed, the truck was turned 180 degrees around on the freeway, and the front bumper/hood showed signs of a head-on collision from another vehicle. I don't know if there were injuries or fatalities, but it was a sobering scene. I have been driving in freeway traffic in the San Pedro area when a landscapers trailer next to me started fishtailing uncontrollably and ended up on the embankment hill on the side of the freeway near an overpass. These accidents can develop very quickly. Last of all, I have a fundamental belief that obeying ALL the laws enacted by our elected representatives is what separates us from the anarchistic savages like the ISIS gang, is a good model for our children, and makes life more easygoing and liveable.

Sawdocmd

To me there is a big difference between 75mph in SoCal and 75 mph in South Dakota. All things are relevant to your surroundings. Common sense goes a long way imo.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It only takes one second . . . and then you might be facing the scariest moment of your life!

Been there . . . done that . . .

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not while hauling the rig, but I've experienced ladders falling off the vehicle in front of me falling off on the freeway and spinning on the road. It was still straight when I went over it, but the car behind me caught it crossways. Then there was the time a four-way tire iron fell off a trailer in front of me. That took some quick spatial computations to time it's bounce so it didn't nail me. And of course, there are always the big brown rodents that dart out onto the freeway. Took one dead center at 75 mph a few years ago. Not fun

Doesn't matter what freeway you're on. The momentum and/or closing speed with another object at 75 mph is a constant

IronJ

e3853265757850c30c08c9f5a3805a8b.jpg

I don't know about the op but about 70 miles of my 130 mile trip home today looked just like this....

Texas....flat and a bunch of nothing...I saw 2 cars come opposing way and about 10 people passed me cuz I was poking along at 68....

I've smashed 2-3 deer before...yup...they jump in front of you...speed is irrelevent..I've hit em at highway speed not towing 70 and at 45....

ba79235ffec7c8001bf5a08f2d5a478d.jpg

These bumpers hold up nice..lol

To each thier own..know your conditions...drive safe everyone!!

Jim.Allison

At 20 mph – Good Driving
At 30 mph – Happy Driving
At 40 mph – How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds
At 50 mph – Lord I’m Coming Home
At 60 mph – Rock of Ages Cleft for Me
At 70 mph – Nearer my God to Thee
At 80 mph – Within the Church Yard Side by Side

mlpeloquin

You do damage to your tires going over the maximum speed rating. It will show up later. If not fully loaded, not so bad, but loaded and over the specs for the tire on long stretches not good. I find myself staying at 65mph with 75mph rated Goodyear G614's going across country. I have passed going 70mph for a small amount of time, but 65mph is my max normal outside of the state of California. California the max for big rigs and cars/trucks with trailers is 55mph. Most of the time I ride behind one going 60 to 65mph. When they slow down the highway patrol is around.