Satellite connections

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
It's pretty basic stuff. We don't have the HDTV satellite tuner, yet. We are using the analog Directtv box and it's basically 2 leads. We're trying to get satelitte to the bedroom by using one tuner, but that may require an upgrade. We'll all get it figured out with Linuxkidd and Jim's assistance.

jbeletti

Larry,

One piece of advice for you that I picked up at a rally from another RE owner. You will likely have to temporarily remove the 42" TV from the wall in order to make all the connections for your satellite receiver. This is a 2 man job for certain.

While you have it off, I would take the opportunity to connect every conceivable cable to it before you put it back on the wall. Then run the other end of all those cable to the left or right equipment cabinet so you have them for future use. Be certain to label the ends of the cable so you know what port they are plugged into.

For example, later, you may want to use the TV as a computer monitor to display a slideshow of pictures you have on your computer. I believe most of the Olevia sets have a computer VGA port on it. I'd order a 25' VGA cable with male to male connectors from CablesForLess.com

Same for HDMI, Components and for Audio. Maybe 12' cables for those. CablesForLess is a good resource that I use often.

Best of luck.

Jim

jimtoo

Very good advice Jim. One thing I would add is to be sure the cables you use are good, as we had one that had a bad crimp at the connector on one end (naturally on the end hooked to tv where you cannot touch it) and it drove me nuts for a few days till I found it.
Jim ( the other Jim)

Larry,

One piece of advice for you that I picked up at a rally from another RE owner. You will likely have to temporarily remove the 42" TV from the wall in order to make all the connections for your satellite receiver. This is a 2 man job for certain.

While you have it off, I would take the opportunity to connect every conceivable cable to it before you put it back on the wall. Then run the other end of all those cable to the left or right equipment cabinet so you have them for future use. Be certain to label the ends of the cable so you know what port they are plugged into.

For example, later, you may want to use the TV as a computer monitor to display a slideshow of pictures you have on your computer. I believe most of the Olevia sets have a computer VGA port on it. I'd order a 25' VGA cable with male to male connectors from CablesForLess.com

Same for HDMI, Components and for Audio. Maybe 12' cables for those. CablesForLess is a good resource that I use often.

Best of luck.

Jim

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Thanks guys, I think I am just going to wait till i pick up my 3400RE and assess the situation from there. Once I figure out the electronics they provide as original equipment, I will take it from there. Too much for me right now.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I had a little trouble finding the right satelite port to the living room on my 3055RL. It turned out to be the third from the left. I have two going to the roof and another to the bedroom. The bedroom cable line has a splitter just after the amplifier. It then feeds a cable connection to the living room. To use just one sat reciever for both rooms, put the reciever in the living room with an s-video or any connection other than the coaxel to the tv. Then run the coax from the out to tv of the reciever to the cable jack the living room. This wll feed the signal to the bed room tv provided the amp is turned off. I have used this in 2 5ers with no problem. Would be very interested in running another sat connnection to the living room slide for my dvr. Anyone tried this?

lauriochay

New RVer
Here's a quick diagram of the Cable routing for the '08 Landmark.

Cable_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

I'll have to do up another diagram showing how I got Cable, Antenna and 2 Satellite feeds to the Living Room, and 2 Satellite & 1 Antenna feeds to the Bedroom for DirecTV DVR receivers and a Cable Modem for internet access.. :) Just haven't gotten to do that yet.

LK
Hi; we just got our very first RV, a 2009 Bighorn 3600 RE. We have DirecTV with Tivo in the house; I have 3 receivers in there (All Tivo), and want to get a satellite for the 5th wheel, and use 2 of the Tivo receivers in here, for the bedroom and the living room entertainment center. We don't want to spend the money at this time for one of the expensive dome receivers; want something inexpensive for temporary. We have no idea what kind of satellite we have to buy; my husband is going to mount it to the ladder in the back for the time being. If having Tivo in both rooms will be too expensive we will settle for one in the living room only; I am totally lost and am supposed to be buying this thing!! HELP!!!

lauriochay

New RVer
Hi.

My mother has just gotten a 2009 Bighorn 3600RE, and is planning to hook up a satellite. Her current satellite service is DirecTV, and she would like to keep it. She has Tivo capability, and this is where my question comes in. DirecTV Tivo works on a dual input system, but from what I can tell, the 2 inputs on the bighorn go to completely seperate locations. I need both inputs coming in from the dish, going to the same receiver. (At least, this is how the DirecTV representative explained it to me...my experience is with military satellite communications, not satellite TV lol.)

I am told that others here have gotten the Tivo to work properly...any information/help/walkthrough/physical diagram would be much appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

--Brian

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Can anyone tell me how to access the rear connections on the Olevia 42" Tv mounted in a 3600RE. The tv is mounted above a slide out desk with the fireplace underneath that. It has glass door cabinets on both side of the tv. On the right side there is an access panel you can remove but you only have access to the power switch and power cord. The inputs are all on the opposite side with no way that I can find to access them. The factory installation only came with the coxial connection connected for the cable and one set of RCA cables for the DVD player connected. I want to connect a HDMI cable for high def and a monitor cable for my laptop which the Olevia will handle but can not for the life of me figure out how to get to the back of the TV. Why would Heartland install a nice, big 42" High Def tv and not at least connect a HDMI cable to it for future use, and then connect a standard DVD player with no High Def capability? Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

ChopperBill

I had a little trouble finding the right satelite port to the living room on my 3055RL. It turned out to be the third from the left. I have two going to the roof and another to the bedroom. The bedroom cable line has a splitter just after the amplifier. It then feeds a cable connection to the living room. To use just one sat reciever for both rooms, put the reciever in the living room with an s-video or any connection other than the coaxel to the tv. Then run the coax from the out to tv of the reciever to the cable jack the living room. This wll feed the signal to the bed room tv provided the amp is turned off. I have used this in 2 5ers with no problem. Would be very interested in running another sat connnection to the living room slide for my dvr. Anyone tried this?
SD, I have been thinking about this since your post. If I hook the S video to the TV it will work the satellite? Then the out to TV back feeds to the bedroom? I hook up the dish to the receiver in the normal way? Sounds pretty simple if I get the concept. My problem right now its the cheap stinking Sylvania in the bedroom wont work on the satellite even if I hook it up direct from the satellite. Seems TV will only direct it to channel 4 and has a fuzzy picture. When I try to force it to work on channel 3 it is worse.

linuxkidd

lauriochay: Please check out this article in the HOOT.

I did a full write up on advanced cable/satellite wiring to get dual feeds to BOTH the bedroom and living room.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

LK

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
SD, I have been thinking about this since your post. If I hook the S video to the TV it will work the satellite? Then the out to TV back feeds to the bedroom? I hook up the dish to the receiver in the normal way? Sounds pretty simple if I get the concept. My problem right now its the cheap stinking Sylvania in the bedroom wont work on the satellite even if I hook it up direct from the satellite. Seems TV will only direct it to channel 4 and has a fuzzy picture. When I try to force it to work on channel 3 it is worse.

If you use s-video you will also need to use rca cables for your audio. This is what I use as my old reciever does not have HDMI ports. When you back feed your satelite through the cable connection to the bedroom be sure that you do not have the amplifier on and that the tv is on what ever channel or input selection that is normally used for using a reciever or vcr/dvd. I am going to try linuxkidd's advice in the near future.

sjrellis

We had Directv up and running in Wisconsin all winter. Now we are in Missouri and can't get the dang thing going. So, I need a beginner lesson. We have a splitter that we put on antenna for local stations and "cable" for the satellite stations. Worked all winter just like that! What I THINK the problem is, is that we CANNOT override the tv to ADD channel 3. Does the tv need to be on channel 3 before changing the splitter to "cable"? Also, does the source need to be on "tuner"? One of the Olevia papers says it needs to be on HDMI, but I'm sure it was on "tuner" in Wisconsin. What we cannot do, is to even go to the "menu" on the Directv remote to even BEGIN to find the right satellite direction. Please help us! Thanks!!

jbeletti

Jim and Sandra,

You need to determine how you have connected the satellite receiver to the TV set.

Carefully rotate the receiver around so that you can find a cable connected to an "output". Follow it to the TV set. Or do it backwards and follow the input cables from the TV set back to the satellite receiver.

If you are using the RF output of the satellite receiver (a round coaxial cable) to feed the TV set, then it will be connected to the antenna/cable input to the TV. In that case, use TUNER mode on the TV set. Try to manually (using the remote), select channel 3 if you feel that it the output of the satellite receiver.

If however, you find that you are using the HDMI output of the satellite receiver (a more flat type of connector with a smaller round cable) to feed the TV set, then it "should" be connected to the HDMI input to the TV. Note there may be two HDMI inputs on the TV. Select the correct input using the menu system on the TV.

Best of luck.

Jim

sjrellis

We found out part of the problem. The unit was not used for 30 days, so it went inactive by Directv. We somehow got the tv on channel 3, but it erased all other active channels...ugh. Still can't get reception on the satellite, tho. Nothing was disconnected after leaving Wisconsin. Finding the correct satellite position was EASY up there. I thought being further south would make finding them easier. We will attempt it again tomorrow...if I have the patience.

ChopperBill

We found out part of the problem. The unit was not used for 30 days, so it went inactive by Directv. We somehow got the tv on channel 3, but it erased all other active channels...ugh. Still can't get reception on the satellite, tho. Nothing was disconnected after leaving Wisconsin. Finding the correct satellite position was EASY up there. I thought being further south would make finding them easier. We will attempt it again tomorrow...if I have the patience.

I wish I knew how you "somehow" got that TV to use channel 3. No matter what I do I cant get mine to take channel 3 and there is nothing in the manual that shows how.

sjrellis

And the website doesn't tell you how to do it either. It seems like it should be easy enough to override and get it to read channel 3. When we were in Wisconsin, channel 3 was a local station, so it wasn't a problem. Dh is about ready to throw this tv out. It drives him NUTS how it is so slow to react to the remote.

sjrellis

I wish I knew how you "somehow" got that TV to use channel 3. No matter what I do I cant get mine to take channel 3 and there is nothing in the manual that shows how.

Update. I finally had someone out to hook up the directv. We discussed the putting-Olevia-tv-on-channel-3 situation. What he ended up doing was to change the connection from receiver to tv. It originally was connected with RCA cable. The installer changed that to S-Video cable. Now, we never need to find channel 3 again!! thank you thank you! We switch between "tuner" for local stations and "s-video" for satellite. Seemed simple enough, but NOT for me to have figured out. I hope this helps someone else and saves aggravation! I told Jim to NEVER unhook all that stuff behind the tv and receiver!

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I just had Direct Tv installed in House and camper and installer hooked up the Olevia using the S-video cable and it sure does work better. No more having to try and figure out the olevia remote. Anyone that doesn't have their receiver hooked up with S-video cable needs to try it, you'll like it.

Bill

Princess Kathleen

boy I was excited whenwe pulled into Camping World....gona get satellite tv....so we can watch FOOTBALL AND BROADWAY BRETT.....but was told by CW they could not install it because it was in a slide......:>(

PK

cjbearden

Visitor
PK

You need to find another C/W!!! Our new satellite is wired through a slide so don't know why they are telling your this. Even in our former BH, connection was in a slide. :confused: Don't know where you are now but if you get into CO, try C/W in Longmont, CO. That's where we bought our Augusta (K&C RV Sales) and the latest, greatest HD satellite for DirecTV was installed in their shop. Good luck, keep us posted on getting installation.

C.J.