Seeking suggestions for Replacing 16" wheels & tires with 17.5" on Cyclone 4200

Has anyone replaced their 16" wheels & tires on triple axle trailer?
What did you go to?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Asking as over the past two years I have had 4 tires go bad on my 2015 Cyclone 4200; one blowout & three had ply separations (air loss).

Several tire/wheel & trailer companies recommend a 15% load cushion for trailer tires.
So, at the GVWR of 20,000 pounds for my 2015 Cyclone 4200 (20,000x1.15=23,000) I would need a tire with a max load rating of at least 23,000/6=3,833 lbs.
For comparison a Goodyear Marathon 235/80R16E has a weight rating of 3,420 (x6=20,520) provides little safety margin (2.6%).
That is 3,822-3,420=402 short per tire or 402x6=2,412 total.

Thanks!
Please keep lectures on possible overloading to yourselves!

Kathi-27

up graded our big horn from 16 to 17.5. best price I found was performance brake. sailun wheel and tire 409 each was free shipping when we got ours. rated 4805

Eric1234

A thought, how about 19.5” wheels. I saw boar wheels and vision wheels make a direct fit application. I have 17.5” wheels and tires with G114 tires and have had no problems and I’ve been from California to New York with this trailer.

Have ave a good day

Eric

WillyBill

I just ordered new 16" wheels to fit the "G" Sailuns that I already own for my Cyclone - The stock wheels won't hold a "G" tire, mine keep breaking. $624 for 6 delivered - 4400 LB Weight Rating at 110 PSI (Ultra's Engineer sent me a copy of the test) - Ultra 226-6681U. Performance Plus Tire In Fullerton, Ca. $30 per wheel cheaper than anybody else. I have owned Ultra wheels for my Older Chevy 3/4 T truck and they were good wheels.

I recommmend ordering your tires from Simple Tire.

Just my 2 cents.

WB

ramdually4100king

Seeking suggestions for Replacing 16" wheels & tires with 17.5" on Cyclone 4200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Seeking suggestions for Replacing 16" wheels & tires with 17.5" on Cyclone 4200

Thank you everyone who responded.
I have ordered 17.5 Continental HTL2 ECO Plus 215/75R 17.5 LRJ tires & Lionshead wheels from:
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com
Wheels & Tires Mounted, Balanced & Nitrogen filled ($515 each)
+ 6 center caps ($54)
+ 36 Black lug nuts ($96)
+ shipping ($185) to a freight company near me
I will add a couple of pictures of how they come in, comparison to the 16s and install.
Not an inexpensive solution; true.
But about the same as the total damage caused by my first catastrophic trailer tire failure!

Harold Leeper
2015 Cyclone 4200

- - - Updated - - -

If you never want to worry about your tires again, buy the Continental HTL2 Eco Plus from Trailer Tires and Wheels.

Rex, I did just that! Thanks!

Re: Seeking suggestions for Replacing 16" wheels & tires with 17.5" on Cyclone 4200

I've ordered tires and wheels twice, free shipping to my driveway. Why was your order different?

I called in to get information on the wheel's PSI for the given load rating, it wasn't included on web site info.
When completing the order I was given the option of providing a "business address" or picking up a a freight center.
I was not offered free shipping or home delivery.
Guess I should of just given my home address, we have local haul semis deliver out here all the time.
Last time I ordered ProComp Tires from 4wheelparts.com for a Jeep they drop shipped to my home.

So, my best answer is; I don't know.

porthole

Retired

I called in to get information on the wheel's PSI for the given load rating, it wasn't included on web site info.
When completing the order I was given the option of providing a "business address" or picking up a a freight center.
I was not offered free shipping or home delivery.
Guess I should of just given my home address, we have local haul semis deliver out here all the time.
Last time I ordered ProComp Tires from 4wheelparts.com for a Jeep they drop shipped to my home.

So, my best answer is; I don't know.

Well I'm surprised.

Right on the main web page they advertise free shipping.

Screenshot 2018-04-16 21.25.46.jpg

My wheel tire combos were shipped UPS, each tire seperate

Again thanks to all that responded!
I ordered 17.5 Lionshead wheels & Continental tires from: http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/
I picked them up at a local freight company easy deal they loaded the palliated load on my Aluma trike trailer.
Here is a pic after I put one on.
Then after getting the first three done, have finished all six now.
Very happy so far, don't have any trips planned until July so will have to see how they work out.

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2014 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2014 - Copy.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2017 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2017 - Copy.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 37