Shear Pins on landing gear

Dylan

Just recently brought a 2009 3670RL home. Unfortunately, we didn't get much for an orientation from the dealer. As a result, we managed to lower the front end down too far, and damaged the shear pin (s). The dealer has picked up the rig and is ordering parts. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone? Does the pin or pins carry the weight load on the two leveling feet in front? Is there more to it than just replacing the pins? Any info on this would be appreciated. I probably asked 8 or 9 questions about the way the legs worked, but still managed to screw it up. I'm trying to get a complete understanding of the way the pins and legs work, although I know to most of you it might seem like a no brainer. I'm new to the 5th wheel world, stepping up from a 32' tow trailer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, other's have had shear pin problems when either retracting or extending too far. Seems to be more during retraction, though. The shear pins don't support the load once you stop, the jack snap pins under the rig do. The shear pins may still be under some stress from the operation, but the load is on those lower pins. To get to the shear pins requires removal of the motor assembly and probably the jack itself in order to work on it. Labor costs might be pricey. I've attached the Venture Landing Gear manual. It says if you hear the clutch chattering, release the switch. There is also a diagram at the end of it.