Shower interior pan

Sandpirate69

I pretty sure i'm not the first to post this issue. But, over the weekend I was showering and felt something snap under my feet. I moved my foot around the area and felt like it was flexing down. I have no water leak. as of yet. I'm going to remove the compartment walls in the basement to inspect. How is the base of the shower supported? Also, can I add some support to the bathroom floor while i'm at it? Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Getting ready for the July 4th weekend.

I hope everone had a Great Memorial Weekend and remembered those who have gone before us, still there, & on their way to fight for our Freedom.

Thank you,

Ivan

sjs731

Shower base problems seem to be becoming a frequent post topic lately. I just had mine replaced and I pick our rig up tomorrow. It was not a cheap fix. Labor intensive.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjs731

Picked our rig up yesterday. The tech had no explanation as to why the base cracked like it did where it did. He showed me the old base and I was surprised to see it was fiberglass and not molded plastic as I thought it was.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandpirate69

Well update on the shower pan. Still unsure why it got mushy on one side but my extended warranty refused to pay for repair. So it comes out my pocket for now. They claim its part of the floor & they dont cover floor damage or issues. I'll deal with that problem later.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our shower floor is also spongee . . . was like that from the factory!

I reported this to my dealer while our trailer was under warranty . . .

They said Heartland wouldn't authorize the fix it as that is the way the shower floor is supposed to be.

Sandpirate69

JohnD, thats insane. Think about it, the drain pipe doesn't flex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
JohnD, thats insane. Think about it, the drain pipe doesn't flex.

There are a couple of spots where the shower floor seems solid, but if you stand the normal way that a person would stand when taking a shower, the floor bounces and sags.

Like there is nothing to support the shower floor under there.

I'm going to open that little access door on the front of the shower and see if I can put some spacers under it to shore it up.

Sandpirate69

Im still out of the country on M/L. But my rig is done, according to my wife. They saved the shower pan for me to inspect and attempt to get the company to reimburse me. Either way I will post pictures for review.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

anndeezzz

I have a 2011 Sundance 3300QS with a cracked shower floor pan. Mine too is very spongy. Gorilla tape is holding the water in for now but I see where it will be cracking more soon. I plan to replace it myself since the labor cost thru the roof (or floor pan). A carpenter friend is willing to shore up the floor for me. Having a hard time finding a place to purchase the new pan. Any suggestions?

Sandpirate69

I would call HL & see who their distributor is & contact them durectly. Yes labor alone is approx $650.

Sandpirate69

Unfortunately for me between my job & military i cant start any big projects. I have to farm it out. But i will be picking my rig up on wednesday or thursday and then i will post pics & manufacturer info. I hope it helps.

wdk450

Just a thought on this:
If the problem is just the support under the shower floor pan (not wood substrate problems), I was wondering if it would be feasible to drill some holes in the pan and shoot in some "Great Stuff" expanding foam to better support the pan; then line and seal the pan with a piece of EDPM rubber roofing secured down with EPDM lap sealant? This would help with the slippery pan floor surface, too.

I just ordered an "Aqua Rug" for my Bighorn's shower. We will see how that works. http://www.buyaquarug.com

PUG

Pug
The shower pan floor is obviously not well built and not well supported allowing it to flex and break. Short of tearing it out and replacing see if you can see the underside of the pan from under the trl. If so maybe do some additional supporting. Expanding foam insulation might be something you could spray in from an access site to help support the floor better.

azbigfoot

I had a crack in my shower pan. It was repaired under warranty by a franchise that does tub and surface refinishing. The repairman drilled the ends of the crack and then scraped a groove along the crack. He refilled the holes and groove and applied a new gel coat to the entire floor. Looks good as new.

I asked him about flex and he said it was typical but didn't seem to cause problems. He did say if the floor was really bad he would drill holes and inject a foam (not sure if it is the same as Great Stuff). Then he would refill and gel coat the floor. I ask him what it would cost me if I had to pay for the work and he said about a $125. Not bad.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Great stuff and similar expanding foam really does not offer any true support. It will compress when you step on it after it is cured.

Ks.Kev

After reading everybody's shower interior pan cracking and having some give.......Got me curious to look at mine! So I pulled the inspection cover off the front and there was 2X4's under the pan on either side of the drain and about a foot long. And when I step in the shower it feels pretty solid! So I take it that not everyone has the 2X4's under their shower pan? Maybe Heartland added the 2X4's because of all the warranty work to replacing them? I have a 2013 Northtrail 22FBS. Is the pan cracking in the center or on the side of the pan? And last, does anyone else have 2X4's under the shower pan from the factory?

happyappy

I had a crack in my shower pan. It was repaired under warranty by a franchise that does tub and surface refinishing. The repairman drilled the ends of the crack and then scraped a groove along the crack. He refilled the holes and groove and applied a new gel coat to the entire floor. Looks good as new.

I asked him about flex and he said it was typical but didn't seem to cause problems. He did say if the floor was really bad he would drill holes and inject a foam (not sure if it is the same as Great Stuff). Then he would refill and gel coat the floor. I ask him what it would cost me if I had to pay for the work and he said about a $125. Not bad.

You and Bill are on the right track. I've had no problems with the shower in my Landmark, but did have similar problems in a shower in my first sticks and brick house. The floor of the shower wasn't supported well and it flexed until it eventually cracked. The tub repair person I hired drilled a couple of holes and filled the floor with great stuff. I did have small patches over the holes that were visible when he was done. Never had another problem and the floor was solid as granite afterward.

If mine was spongy, I'd talk to a few tub repair folks about this sort of preventative measure.

Sandpirate69

I had my shower pan replaced while on M/L. The material on the bottom of the shower pan de-laminated or the fiberglass used for support came un-glued. Once again i'm traveling outside the continental US on M/L. I will try & get Heartland to help out. The rig is out of warranty but it doesn't hurt to try. I will post the picture tomorrow. Too jet-lagged to search right now. No, mine does not have 2X4 for support. But i'm going to get back under there and see if I can put some supports in.

wdk450

I made the "Great Stuff" suggestion based on remembering seeing a molded, hard, styrofoam base somewhere that goes under these shower pans for total support. Maybe the foam stuff the professional tub repair guy had was different than "Great Stuff" (i.e., harder).