Simple Parking Buddy Tip

Lynn1130

Military Grade just means that they passed a test to assure they are water proof to a certain level and can take being run over by a small truck (I can tell you the won't survive a tank). What are you referring to when you say "military grade"? Even HAM handhelds come with antennas that are generally poor at best and most HAM handhelds are "military grade" but that does not mean a whole lot as to effectiveness. I always upgrade antennas on my equipment. And if you mean that military grade means they will transmit further, well they won't at 2 watts or 5 watts and that is all you can legally transmit with (unless you have a HAM license and are on HAM bands). UHF is good for transmitting through walls but has less range than VHF. VHF is good for a little more distance but does not work as well as UHF where there are obstructions.

FRS and MURS are low power (1/4 to 2 watt) unlicensed systems. GMRS requires an FCC license and is limited to 5 watts. A base station cannot have an antenna over 20' high. GMRS frequency range is from 462.500 to 467.725 and specific channels. This is considered UHF. There is now a "no code" license for HAMS for UHF/VHF only but it still requires a test on theory ( I will reserve comment on this grade of license).

None of this has much to do with the original theme of this thread so if we want to discuss this further we probably should do it in PM.

Last edited: