ski storage ideas

IP076

Hey all, looking for any smart ideas you all may have about storing two pairs of snow skis. Anyone come up with a good place? I was hoping they might sneak in under my couch, that didn't work. They're also too long for the W/D closet. I think I'm left with the basement, any good ideas on a way to hang them out of the way?

I'm thinking 6" or 8" (one pair is a set of powder skis) PVC tube hung from the ceiling might work, one question though is how thick is the roof of that basement (subfloor of bedroom)...I'd hate to screw into it and punch through the floor above.

I have a 2016 BH 3270. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Are you full timing and want them with you all year long?

Easy solution would be to build a small box and attach to bumper. They would ride there (as well as your poles) with ease.

If you wanted a more secure location, I'd figure out a way to make a solution that allows you to insert them from the basement door (where your level up controller is) and then have them go BACK into the area behind the basement wall. There is a LOT of space back there and building a box to hold them and shouldn't take too long. Then they are 100% out of the way when you're not using them.

IP076

Are you full timing and want them with you all year long?

Easy solution would be to build a small box and attach to bumper. They would ride there (as well as your poles) with ease.

If you wanted a more secure location, I'd figure out a way to make a solution that allows you to insert them from the basement door (where your level up controller is) and then have them go BACK into the area behind the basement wall. There is a LOT of space back there and building a box to hold them and shouldn't take too long. Then they are 100% out of the way when you're not using them.

Thanks for the idea. Yeah, I'm full timing and they'll be with me year around. I'd like to have relatively easy access as I do hope to use them in the winter months. I was in that area the other day looking around, you're right...lots of room...I might have to investigate that idea a little more.

Out of curiosity, whats the construction of the bedroom floor/basement ceiling? 3/4" subfloor in the bedroom, then what for "floor joists" and what for the ceiling of the basement? Any ideas?

Thanks! Oh...and my rig is actually a 2016...I'll make the edit in the original post.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

IP076

Ski rack bars on the ceiling of the basement. Bars that attach to SUV cross bars upside down.. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apex-Roo...ategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=SnCcKTE0FzjvBNddbNJr_4

I have a set of Yakima ski racks...I like this idea, I actually looked at it before I stuck those rack pieces in storage. I was afraid it would take up too much space, and essentially need to empty the basement to get them open.

I also like the idea of just sliding the bag in, at least it will keep them together. I might just have to do that until I can investigate building something to utilize the space behind the current wall.

carl.swoyer

Buy asix or eight inch PVC pipe cap one end closed and put a screw cap for the other end. Then strap it to the chassis right behind the drop, where the chassis frame structure goes up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Buy asix or eight inch PVC pipe cap one end closed and put a screw cap for the other end. Then strap it to the chassis right behind the drop, where the chassis frame structure goes up.

Anything enclosed outside would have to accommodate the height of binding, so 8" may not be tall enough with the binding release levers. You'd have to measure. The pair locked together (bottoms together, bindings linked) would definitely not fit in 8" pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Well I guess you can figure I DON'T SKEE

No worries! Sometimes we can't see the Forrest for the trees. All suggestions have merit, and I was thinking at first, "perfect!" But then I remembered the bindings.

Here's a vertical mount example which could be inside the rig for storage.

46f2c8cb9b6201663d76045aadf013fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, looking for any smart ideas you all may have about storing two pairs of snow skis. Anyone come up with a good place? I was hoping they might sneak in under my couch, that didn't work. They're also too long for the W/D closet. I think I'm left with the basement, any good ideas on a way to hang them out of the way?

I'm thinking 6" or 8" (one pair is a set of powder skis) PVC tube hung from the ceiling might work, one question though is how thick is the roof of that basement (subfloor of bedroom)...I'd hate to screw into it and punch through the floor above.

I have a 2016 BH 3270. Thanks in advance!

I carry my Fischer Big Stikx(very fat powder skis) with Solomon guardian bindings in a sporttube. One half of the sporttube(the part with the handle) is secured to the bumper just by wrapping a ratchet strap around it and the bumper. When I want my skis I just undue the clip and slide the top which isn't held by the ratchet strap off and pull the skis and poles out. It's a very tight fit and you need to tug to get them out but they are extremely fat skis. One thing I did learn last winter is you need to drill a drain hole because the sporttube isn't entirely water tight.