Slide awning ripped

Brandon.Prewitt

I bought my RV in Lubbock and my salesman assured me the awnings would be fine in the West Texas wind.

Now my shorter living room slide awning on the North Side is ripped about an inch on each end.

This isn't covered by warrantee is it? Would a patch of some sort work?

Right before the rip I was researching how to keep them from popping so much in the wind. Found to use beach balls. I guess I got ones that were too small. They blew away in about 2 seconds.

The awnings pop in the wind, this shakes the slide, and that shakes the whole RV. Can't be good on the welds for the slide hardware.

danemayer

No advice on repair, but I can share what I'm using for supports. I found rectangular plastic baskets at the Dollar Store. They hold the awning up nicely, even with snow (I'm currently in Breckenridge, CO). I tied the baskets together with a spacing of about 18". I push them in from one end, and advance them on the longer slides using a broom handle, then pull back on the string to space them out. The string hangs out the ends so there's something to grab hold of to pull them out.

We had some extraordinary wind 2 weeks ago - gusting over 80mph which blew them out. I've since tied the ends of the strings to the awning mechanisms and put a large stone at each end to restrict movement. We had moderate winds last night with some slight flapping on the bedroom slide.

The baskets nest together taking up very little space while traveling.

lwmcguir

The rectangular baskets tied together is a great idea. We have had wind noise with ours as well, especially in Estes Park.

brianharrison

Would not think it is a warranty item - definitely wear and tear.

For a band-aid repair there is an awning tape that I have used in the past --> Camping World Awning Tape Link

As well, I have replaced one of my topper awnings fabric with a replacement fabric from Dometic. Is a pretty easy job if you don't mind standing on ladders.

The specific model number and serial number for each topper awning should be on a tag stuck to the awning (my Dometics were). There is a spare parts manual for the Elite Dometic slidetopper on the HOM tab (link here).

Dometic has additional information on its web site. Scroll to the bottom for the different slide toppers, Deluxe, Elite, or Full Cover --> Dometic Website Link

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian