Slide Toppers Revisited

BigGuy82

I'm sure there are existing threads on this subject, but I'd like to get the lattest and greatest feedback.

Is there a great advantage to toppers? I have no leaks and it's not too much trouble to get the ladder and broom off the crap every now and then. The way I see it, it would be nice to have a little leak insurance as well as not having to sweep the tops, but I could find better places to spend two grand (unless of course, I spring a leak at which point I will wish I had spent the dough).

The toppers that the dealer is pushing are Dometic - anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this brand? Also, they come in white and black and I'm thinking white for heat reflectivity - any ideas why black might be better?

Just looking for input before I take the leap.

Thanks!!!

rhodies1

I'm sure there are existing threads on this subject, but I'd like to get the lattest and greatest feedback.

Is there a great advantage to toppers? I have no leaks and it's not too much trouble to get the ladder and broom off the crap every now and then. The way I see it, it would be nice to have a little leak insurance as well as not having to sweep the tops, but I could find better places to spend two grand (unless of course, I spring a leak at which point I will wish I had spent the dough).

The toppers that the dealer is pushing are Dometic - anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this brand? Also, they come in white and black and I'm thinking white for heat reflectivity - any ideas why black might be better?

Just looking for input before I take the leap.

Thanks!!!

I have them on my Bighorn,first time and would never own another unit unless it has toppers.They keep all the crap from laying on the slides,no need to limb up and brush debris.You will get mixed views,it becomes a personel choice and a financial one as well. Good luck.

mlpeloquin

Purchased our Big Horn without slide toppers. After one big rain storm at night, we got slide toppers. No leaks, but noise. Huge drops of rain make one heck of a lot of noise. Try to sleep with that. Keeps the slide roofs clean is an added benefit. Others have been in high wind conditions and have had their toppers tare up. We have been in in 55 mph guest and have had no problems. It is a choice.

alwaysbusy

I've read where some have allegedly had them damaged or ripped off due to wind gusts. We have them and like them. As you know, white shows dirt very quickly, with the black this is not so evident.

Nuclearcowboy

The other advantage of toppers, not already mentioned, is that we have found they help with the heat in summer - without toppers, the tops of the slide outs get much hotter in the direct sun, contributing to a hotter interior. We prefer black only because the white or off white ones are a pain to keep looking clean.

danemayer

I've read where some have alledgedly had them damaged or ripped off due to wind gusts. We have them and like them. As you know, white shows dirt very quickly, with the black this is not so evident.
JohnD has posted several times that he was at a Colorado park where a freak windstorm tore up awnings and slide toppers on a number of rigs (not his). Other than that, I don't recall any posts here about anyone's toppers being damaged by wind.

In high winds they can be noisy. Most of the time they're wonderful to have.

Slide toppers seem to be another option where those who have them would never be without, and those who don't have them don't miss them.

osims

bsims
We have them and I love not having to go on top and sweep off slides, we camp mostly I'm Corp parks with lots of leaves and pine needles. We have black because it matches our awning, I don't think you would notice any heat difference because of the 4" air cap under the toppers.

rhodies1

The other advantage of toppers, not already mentioned, is that we have found they help with the heat in summer - without toppers, the tops of the slide outs get much hotter in the direct sun, contributing to a hotter interior. We prefer black only because the white or off white ones are a pain to keep looking clean.

Mr Clean Magic Eraser works wonders at taking off the stains,I wash mine a couple of times a year with Sunlight soap and what does not come off,I use the magic eraser,overall no issue

BHEWITTJR

I've had them on all 3 of our trailers dating back to 2001, and I'm another that would not be without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had them installed by our dealer before we took possession of our 2009 BH3670. No problems with them being loose or noisy in the wind. They get cleaned when I clean the roof. From the ground, you can't tell if they're dirty or not, even though they're white. They're extended in early May and not retracted until late September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

I love them and I hate them. When they work, they are great. I have 3 slide toppers.

The bedroom one I've never had an issue with.

The medium one on the curb side I've hit a branch and had to replace a bracket (not the slide toppers fault). The vinyl cover on this side is shot after 2 seasons. I have Carefree of Colorado and I'll look for some other vendor for the vinyl. The awning on the same side is older and shows no visible signs deterioration.

The largest slide topper I have had on going issues. I believe the same design as the other toppers is a flaw on the bigger slide outs. We were in Sydney Nebraska when we were hit with a major thunderstorm with wind sheers at 3am that shook the trailer (why is it that in the Midwest the thunderstorms are in the middle of the night?). The topper was torn from the bracket and thrown over the roof. I've replaced the brackets and strengthened them with a galvanized strip, but the vibration going down the road, causing the slide topper to wobble, has sheered the single bracket screw twice. I've built a temporary support using a metal hook and baby bungee cords that I hang in the middle of the topper and hook onto the gutter. This has greatly reduced the wobble and haven't had any more problems - yet.

mlpeloquin

I have been told by people I have met to pull my slides in if the wind vibrates the slide toppers. At night not a problem since we can sleep in the bedroom without the slide being out. We have not had to do this even with 55 to 60 mph wind gusts. We have not had any problems with our Dometic awnings with vibrations when driving.

Oregon_Camper

A lot of talk of keeping leaves off the trailer, but here in the PNW, our big issue is Pine Needles (we got all kinds of "pine trees...LOVE them)

Now, you can brush a leaf off, but getting nasty needled out of all sorts of places is no fun.

I've had toppers on every trailer we've owned, and would never consider not putting them any future RV.

DWChris

I have never had a unit without them. Have never had a problem. I like that it keeps rain and leaves off the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If there was an easy way to not use the toppers when you don't want or need them extended with the slides I might consider them.

Until then . . .

BigGuy82

A lot of talk of keeping leaves off the trailer, but here in the PNW, our big issue is Pine Needles (we got all kinds of "pine trees...LOVE them)

Now, you can brush a leaf off, but getting nasty needled out of all sorts of places is no fun.

I've had toppers on every trailer we've owned, and would never consider not putting them any future RV.

Actually, I share your pain. We spent a couple of days under the pines in Georgia. An absolute PITA - the long needles get between the slide and the gasket and getting them out is not fun.