Slide wall thickness

StrongJava

It is my understanding the RV walls in my 2008 Bighorn are 2" thick. Does anyone know for sure if this includes the slide-outs? Or are slide-out walls a different dimension?

Thanks.

Tim

p.s., I'll find out for sure when I try to put a 1-1/2" screw in one :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Before you run a screw through your wall I suggest a small hole only through the inner wall and probe with a piece of wire for depth.
I'm pretty sure the side walls of the slides are only 1" thick.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

cookie is correct. Better safe than sorry. You drill through to the outside and it will be very costly to repair. Fiberglass, paint, and vinyl stickers. Might cost you closer to 1K than you think!

StrongJava

cookie is correct. Better safe than sorry. You drill through to the outside and it will be very costly to repair. Fiberglass, paint, and vinyl stickers. Might cost you closer to 1K than you think!

Thank you all.

Turns out we are okay as the curtain rods with the longer screws are being used on the outside wall of the slide-out.

The sides of the slideout are rods with shorter screws.

After reading Dan's comment, that reminded me I had seen that at a factory tour.

I suspected the sides were thinner, and so I appreciate that answer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Open a window and screen and then measure the thickness of the wall. I would stick with 1" fasteners. That's what I used to mount some light switches next to the bed.