Slides creep out when traveling

Capt7383

I tried searching the forum for an answer and struck out.
When we travel I have noticed that one or two slides cheap out an inch or two. I retract them again and everything is fine. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Slides cheap out when traveling

No it shouldn't do that.

What year and model RV do you have ???
Are they electric or hydraulic ?
With a little more info we can all help you figure this out.

If hydraulic slides, does it happen every time you travel ?

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Capt7383

Re: Slides cheap out when traveling

No it shouldn't do that.

What year and model RV do you have ???
Are they electric or hydraulic ?
With a little more info we can all help you figure this out.

If hydraulic slides, does it happen every time you travel ?

Jerrod

2014 big country 3070re hydraulic slides. Seems like Everytime we travel . They don't creep out when it's parked just when moving.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

danemayer

f it were only one slide, you might have a problem with the seal on the ram, but if both, it's a common failure, which would be the valve that allows hydraulic fluid to flow when you press the switch to extend or retract. The valve is probably near the tank in the front compartment.

On top of the valve, there's a setscrew or perhaps a thumb screw, so the valve can be manually opened and closed with an allen wrench or with your hand. Check that it's not slightly open.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I tried searching the forum for an answer and struck out.
When we travel I have noticed that one or two slides cheap out an inch or two. I retract them again and everything is fine. Is this normal?

If I recall correctly, the Maryland chapter leaders had the same issue with their Big Country. I believe it is a 2015. They drove down the road and the slide would creep out 1-2 inches. They would use the remote to put them back in while they were driving. During the past Goshen rally, I believe Lippert found a leak in one of the hydraulic rams and had it repaired on site.

Capt7383

If I recall correctly, the Maryland chapter leaders had the same issue with their Big Country. I believe it is a 2015. They drove down the road and the slide would creep out 1-2 inches. They would use the remote to put them back in while they were driving. During the past Goshen rally, I believe Lippert found a leak in one of the hydraulic rams and had it repaired on site.

Thank you, it makes sense

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It could possibly be a few things, a seal inside the ram leaking and bypassing, a external leak in the system somewhere, or a valve bypassing fluid like Dan said.
Now the the hard part is figuring out which one of those it is. Of course the external leak is the only one you'll be able to see. I would call Lippert and see what they say is the most common issue and start there.

Jerrod

Capt7383

It could possibly be a few things, a seal inside the ram leaking and bypassing, a external leak in the system somewhere, or a valve bypassing fluid like Dan said.
Now the the hard part is figuring out which one of those it is. Of course the external leak is the only one you'll be able to see. I would call Lippert and see what they say is the most common issue and start there.

Jerrod

Thanks I've spoken with Lippert in the past and they have been very helpful

NHCelt

I had this exact issue on my 2015 Bighorn. In my case, it was an interior seal on a hydraulic ram bypassing. You should be able to diagnose which slide ram is leaking by using the lockout knobs next to the hydraulic tank. With the slides in, turn those knobs opposite from where they are to lock out those sections of the lines. Doing this allowed me to identify the door-side slide as the problem as it crept out and the off door-side did not. Replacing the ram solved the issue. I hired a tech to do it under warranty but would do it myself if it happened again. Lippert will want exact measurements of the ram...Heartland keeps lousy records.
It could be a leaking solenoid as well, but you should try this first. I found most rv techs have no clue when it comes to hydraulics.

Capt7383

Thanks I will have to look for those lockout knobs. Can't remember seeing anything like it

Capt7383

Did you have any success?
I don't have any lockout knobs on the hydraulics. It's manageable right now. Maybe I will make it to Goshen next year and have Lippert take a look. Thank You

danemayer

I don't have any lockout knobs on the hydraulics. It's manageable right now. Maybe I will make it to Goshen next year and have Lippert take a look. Thank You

You should look for the setscrew or get a tech involved. If the slides creep out further in the future, the leverage the slideout room applies to the side walls of the trailer could be damaging.

Hydraulic Valve Setscrew.jpg

NHCelt

Thanks I will have to look for those lockout knobs. Can't remember seeing anything like it

These are the valves (the aluminum plate with 2 knobs) to the left of the light switch....they don't really look like what you would expect to find.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1460651576982.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1460651576982.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 48

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check out page 6-7 of this attached manual. There is some troubleshooting info as well as hydraulic cylinder testing info there.
I've had a slide creep out and a hydraulic cylinder needed replacement.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Hydraulic_Through_Frame_Slide_out_Service_Manual.pdf
    14.2 MB · Views: 19

NHCelt

Should you need to move before you get it fixed, I found that heavy ratchet straps run under the rig and holding the opposing slides in is a big help. We got from FL to NH this way.

Capt7383

Check out page 6-7 of this attached manual. There is some troubleshooting info as well as hydraulic cylinder testing info there.
I've had a slide creep out and a hydraulic cylinder needed replacement.

Peace
Dave
Thank you