Slides temporarily stop while either retracting or extending

RVFun4Us

Just got back from a two week trip with our Bighorn 3055. When leaving one campground, our slides temporarily stopped while retracting. After a couple of seconds, they would work again. This happened about three times on retraction of the living room slide and a couple of times on the entertainment slide. We got home today and I tested the slide operation and they are continuing to temporarily stop on both retraction and extension. I read one other thread on here that mentioned a 12 volt mini-breaker located in the battery compartment that might be tripping causing the temporary stop. And the cause may be a slide adjustment problem, missing gear teeth etc. I checked on the wired connections in the bay with the hydraulic storage container and also the battery compartment. All seemed fine. So need any other ideas for a fix before I take it in for service. Don't want to take another trip if something is wrong with the slides.

GOTTOYS

My guess is the breaker is getting weak. It sounds like it trips then cools down and resets..so on. I would replace it with a new one of the same size and see if the problem goes away. A new breaker is only a few bucks and is available at many auto parts stores for probably much less than an RV parts dept....Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Follow the heavy red wire from the hydraulic pump to the breaker. That's the one you will want to changd.
Like Don said they are inexpensive, like around $10.
Also you will want to check your battery voltage. Low voltage will cause problems.

Peace
Dave

57chevyconvt

See Lippert's service bulletin on upgrading the circuit breaker to a higher amperage and different type of breaker. Do a forum search on the subject of "circuit breakers" and I think you will find your answer.

danemayer

I've attached a picture of a bussbar with notations on it. Yours might look different, but you should have a copper buss bar along one side of the breakers. The heavy wire on the same side as the copper bar is from the battery. The wire on the other side of that breaker goes to the Power Converter and fuse box.

There's probably only one other heavy wire attached to a breaker. That would be the one going to the hydraulic pump. And that's the breaker that you want to replace. It's typically 50 Amp with auto-reset. Get one with the same form factor so it fits on the buss bar.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 54

TedS

Like 57chevyconvt noted, step up to an 80 amp breaker like many of us did. No more interruptions.

57chevyconvt

Dan, see Lippert Component, LIP Sheet-0058. This is a service bulletin titled "Upgrading Circuit Breakers for LCI Hydraulic Pumps." I have made this conversion to my BH and to several other brand RV's of similar configuration with Lippert frames and components. This new style circuit breaker is readily available on either Amazon or Ebay. This is the type of circuit breakers that are used on high amperage auto amps like the boom box stuff.

danemayer

Dan, see Lippert Component, LIP Sheet-0058. This is a service bulletin titled "Upgrading Circuit Breakers for LCI Hydraulic Pumps." I have made this conversion to my BH and to several other brand RV's of similar configuration with Lippert frames and components. This new style circuit breaker is readily available on either Amazon or Ebay. This is the type of circuit breakers that are used on high amperage auto amps like the boom box stuff.

Jim,

I know there's a fair amount of debate about changing to a larger breaker. I'm also familiar with LIP Sheet-0058 and that we have a copy posted on the forum. However, if you search on the Lippert site, I don't think you'll find it there. I think it disappeared several years ago without explanation. I also know that some people have called Lippert and been told that they need a larger breaker. I remember at least one person who reported that their service tech measured the amps being drawn and found it over 50 amps, "proving" it needed a larger breaker. Actually, I think that measurement might have just proved that there was something wrong causing excessive current draw.

On the other hand, many of us have replaced 50 amp breakers with 50 amp breakers and haven't needed to go to a larger breaker. My personal opinion is that changing breaker size may "fix" the problem by masking the real cause. Will it cause a problem if you upgrade to a larger breaker? I don't know. But I have to wonder why the Lip Sheet disappeared. And if there's an underlying problem, like a bind, or a loose connection, or low battery, I think it might be better to find the root cause.

All of that is why I suggest replacing a 50 with a 50.

57chevyconvt

I checked all the wiring connections before replacing my 50 amp breaker and everything was good. I even soldiered all the wiring connector to eliminate any potential problem. I experienced the problem in cold weather when the viscosity of the oil was such that the pump was drawing more current than at other times. This was also the experience with several RV's SOB that belonged to friends. Under normal conditions, the 80 amp circuit breaker is an over kill, but instantaneous starting loads on a DC motor can be rather high at times just to get the slide to moving on a cold morning. DC circuit breakers are like AC circuit beakers, once the contacts are over heated a few time it is down hill from there. Thanks as usual for your valued input to all the forum questions.

RVFun4Us

If I change this circuit breaker, do I have to disconnect or flip a circuit breaker before disconnecting from inside the coach? BLHFUN: No, this problem does not affect the landing gear, only the slides. Since it does affect all the slides, I don't believe it has anything to do with the slide gears or something specific to one slide. So if this 50 amp circuit breaker does get weak over time, then it sounds like that might be the issue. Once I get an answer on my question above, then I will remove it and take it in to find a replacement. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Will let everyone know.

jimtoo

Disconnect from shore power, 120v, and also disconnect your battery, 12v. If hooked to shore power, 120v, the converter would be supplying 12v. Any time your gonna mess with the 12v system,, unhook from both shore and battery power. Maybe just save a fuse,,, or maybe save a burned or shocked person,,, or maybe even not cause a fire.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A weak breaker or low/weak battery will cause this. Check to make sure that the battery connections are CLEAN and Tight.

scottyb

Mine was tripping when operating the slides either direction and when raising the landing gear. I replaced my 50 with another 50, while on the road, and it tripped as well. I replaced it with an 80A and everything worked perfectly until I sold it. It had No 2 wire going to the pump, which is good for up to 94A.

RVFun4Us

Well, I took my battery in and had it tested. Fully charged, good battery. Then I purchased a new 50 amp circuit breaker and installed. Slides now appear to be working fine. Tested with a few retracts and extends and no stoppage. Hopefully that will continue. Thanks everyone for your input. Once again, this forum has bailed me out of a problem without having to take it in for service. Very valuable forum. Thanks again everyone.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I always carry a spare or two.
Never know when I will need another replacement or if another camper is in need.

Peace
Dave