Snap Pins for landing gear

wingfoot

Need to replace the cheep China made snap pins..from what I can tell, there are basically two available..A composite/plastic housed unit made by Baker, retailing at CW for $36.00. The other is all metal..manufacture unknown, selling for over $50.00...Baker describes theirs as "LIGHT"...and I don't know if that pertains to the weight or the capacity..

What are you guys using?

Thanks,
Larry

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When we had our 2008 3400RL, I used the $50 variety for replacement after I damaged the originals.

Peace
Dave

noobee

I had tried the plastic but they would not stay closed around the leg... returned them & ordered the metal which work great.

CS

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I had tried the plastic but they would not stay closed around the leg... returned them & ordered the metal which work great.

CS

Exactly!! I hate them. New light-weight ones came with the Ground Control system. Waiting for replacements, as they had a ton of complaints and discontinued them. I got tired of them coming off in my hand. :)

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
On our 3400 We had to replace the pins th 50.00 US Made replacement pins worked fine and are the ones to use in My opinion.
Regards
Wayne

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Exactly!! I hate them. New light-weight ones came with the Ground Control system. Waiting for replacements, as they had a ton of complaints and discontinued them. I got tired of them coming off in my hand. :)

Not sure what you got with your Ground Control set, but mine (received this past January) are not light-weight nor plastic. You can see them in the photo. They are better than the original ones that came with the rig.
View attachment 15499

wingfoot

wingfoot

Not sure what you got with your Ground Control set, but mine (received this past January) are not light-weight nor plastic. You can see them in the photo. They are better than the original ones that came with the rig.
View attachment 15499

Yep, that's the good ones from what I can tell...I gotta ask you though, what's that Red foot pad thingy?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
They went back to the metal ones after I pitched a ***** fit to Sonny about those plastic ones. Remember, I have one of the very early ground control systems.

wdk450

I bought some heavy duty ones from my local RV servicer, and didn't get around to putting them on until I was on the road and a tire service guy jacked my trailer that was on the landing gear , not the truck. ONE OF THOSE LIGHTWEIGHT PINS SHEARED, AND THE TELESCOPING TUBES OF THE LANDING GEAR WAS SCREWED UP. I LEARNED THE NEW, HEAVY DUTY PINS WERE LARGER IN DIAMETER, AND I HAD TO DRILL OUT ALL OF THE LANDING GEAR HOLES. But now I am more confident in my pins.

porthole

Retired
I still have the pins from my Cyclone which were not used when converted to hydraulics. You can have them for the cost of postage.

wingfoot

I still have the pins from my Cyclone which were not used when converted to hydraulics. You can have them for the cost of postage.

Which ones have you got? If they are not the Plastic/composite type, I'll be very thankfull to take them off you hands and of course pay all expenses to get them to me.

Thanks in advance for the offer...very gracious of you:eek:

porthole

Retired
Steel pins that were factory installed on Cyclones. I'll try and get a picture tonight if I can find them - have to use flashlights, still no power.
What is your zip code?

wingfoot

Thanks, gosh don't worry with it now if your power is out..Take care of it when you can..

ZIP: 38018

porthole

Retired
will do, still on a small genny running fridge, freezer and laptops-cell phones - and of course the coffee pot. 28 hours now, and I didn't hook it up until the morning after.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Am I missing something here?
The factory installed snap pins on my 2011 BH seem substantial and fine. Never had any problems with them, so far. Look alot like the one's in John's pictures.
What is the problem everyone is having? Trace