Sofa replacement

DougS

Doug S
Hi all,
I am looking to replace my sofa to sit across the rear of the RV. There are opposing walls that come in that gives me 32.5" space, and the sofa I am looking at is 31", not much room for error. My question is, has anyone heard of or ever dealt with discountrvfurniture.com, they are located in La Habra, CA under the name of Discount Van-Truck. I would hate to get ripped off buying something sight unseen.
I have been all over the web, and this is the only sofa less then 34" that I could find.

hoefler

We went shopping in our local furniture stores with a tape measure. Looked at couches we could make fit by flipping on there back as well.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am quite often near La Habra, Ca. Never heard of the store you are referring to, good, or bad.

IMHO, I would want to sit on furniture before buying. I have seen couches that look great, but are not at all comfortable.

IKEA makes smaller furniture, but I would be skeptical about ordering on line. Go to a store and try it, if you can. Trace

ParkIt

Surprising but we found a 'chaise' type couch (arm on left, no arm on right) from Macy's outlet after trying to see if our IKEA folding sofa/bed would fit (it didn't). Brand new under $300, just kept checking Macy's outlet site. The depth is the same as factory sofa, back wall height is 1/2" shorter (better back window viewing) and 8" space to wall at both ends. We are building a 10" flip up/down shelf with a book rack under it at the non-arm end for coffee cup space or pillow on top so DH can stretch out fully while watching TV which means we'll just push the couch a bit further to the arm side once set up.
One thing about Macy's - they answered all my questions over the phone, they knew the colors 'beige' was more white, 'gray' was more brown, the only colors they had at the time.
Another place to check if a store is in your area is World Market. Have found plenty of couches, narrow end tables, and storage cube ottomans that don't take up space but offer more storage inside.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just curious Doug, have you checked with Heartland to see the depth of the sofa they put in the San Antonio and Key Largo?

Erika

DougS

Doug S
Sofa replacement update:
We made many phone calls to discountvantruck.com and I was assured the arm measurement was 31 inches, with possibly one more inch of the cushion deep. So we took the gamble and ordered the Jack Knife sofa and the Theather recliners, we lucked out. The furniture came though as promised, on time, and over packed. The seat quality is good, if anything alittle stiff, but that will loosen up. The arms on the Theather chairs are just a little short for me, but many chairs are built like this. As for color, it is a perfect match to the Godiva color. As for fitting across the back wall, I have 3/8 of an inch clearance when the walls come in.
We are in site 262 at the FL rally should anyone want to see the sofa's, pictures to follow.

DougS

Doug S
Getting furniture in and out was tough because of where my RV is, we had to put the sofas on end to get in and out. I have the house wall about 4 feet from RV. If I had moved the RV, it would have been easier. Probably still a 3 person move, but do-able.

DougS

Doug S
Some pictures of our new sofa and Theather Recliners. Sofa across the back is on boards so the sofa can be pulled out to operate the Jack Knife single bed.

Attachments

• GC sofa 1.jpg
    GC sofa 1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 276
  • GC Sofa 2.jpg
    GC Sofa 2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 260
  • GC Sofa 3.jpg
    GC Sofa 3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 240

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Wow!! Nice looking furniture. We went a little different way and found a small sofa online...check out this thread....//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23897-Sofa?p=175261&highlight=#post175261

DougS

Doug S
Ken,
Looks great, we didn't find that site that you found when we were looking. We chose our sofa because we were able to get matching Theather Recliners which we wanted.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Doug, They look great! I looked at the website, what color did you choose? What is the width of each piece?

Erika

DougS

Doug S
Erika,
The color we got is called Mole Skin, it is so close to Godiva that our rig came with. Getting the color samples was the tough part, took three weeks and three calls, then two samples came. Delivery was as promised, 4 weeks.
As for size, we got the 72 inch width, I believe there are sizes starting at 68 to 78 inches.
Tom,
As for tables, yes I built them, the kick plates are bolted to the floor, and are part of the hold down device allowing the sofa to slide out. The tables are screwed to the bases. We are still deciding on table tops, thin boards are being used now.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Furniture looks great and we are thinking about the same type of replacement. Can you tell us what model and or name of the couch and theater seating you purchased. Also is the couch aa sleeper?

DougS

Doug S
Murry135,
We ordered the Monaco Double seat recliner (Theather Seat), and the Monaco II sofa. Both are 72 inches wide, and in the Mole Skin color which is almost a match for the Godiva color we had in our unit.
You would have to take your measurements, I have 32 1/2 inches when walls come in, and sofa is 31 inches at the arms and 32 inches where the cushions are. Another consideration you might have to make are the blinds. The day night blinds should be taken into consideration, my unit has slates so they can sit on top of the sofa back. You also need some kind of hold down device to the floor, I have mine so it slides out 1 1/2 inches for the Jack Knife bed to work.

bacaye

Hi DougS...Can you tell me about your couch, etc. that your post included pictures. We are wanting to change our chairs and while looking online for suggestions I noticed your post. I love them but not sure where to look. We have a 2011 Big Country 3450 TS. We have checked online about the chairs mentioned that Lazy Boy has and I was fine with that until now!!! :) I would appreciate any information you can. Thanks, Barb. PS. I need all the help I can get before I make a suggestion to Bill!! :)

DougS

Doug S
Barb, the site I ordered from is http://www.discountvantruck.com/discountrvaccessories/rvfurniture.htm.
My previous post, which I enclosed below, explains how I installed the sofa accross the back window. The Monoco Double seat recliner replaces our sofa. I could can not use the double recliner accross the back because it is too deep. Hope this helps. We love not having to secure our recliners before travel.

"We ordered the Monaco Double seat recliner (Theather Seat), and the Monaco II sofa. Both are 72 inches wide, and in the Mole Skin color which is almost a match for the Godiva color we had in our unit.
You would have to take your measurements, I have 32 1/2 inches when walls come in, and sofa is 31 inches at the arms and 32 inches where the cushions are. Another consideration you might have to make are the blinds. The day night blinds should be taken into consideration, my unit has slates so they can sit on top of the sofa back. You also need some kind of hold down device to the floor, I have mine so it slides out 1 1/2 inches for the Jack Knife bed to work."