Spare tire / wheel question

OldTanker

Got a 2014 Bighorn 3875 FB.

This is really about the rim rather than the tire. I got my rig with Goodyear G614's installed so tires were fine. What I found out when I had the wheels balanced was that the spare tire rim is so badly warped it cannot be balanced. It's never been off of the carrier other than to be balanced so it happened either when the tire was mounted before it left the factory or the rim was warped to begin with.

Has anyone replaced the rim and where did you get it? At this point I don't figure the factory is going to be a good source of a replacement because of my experience wtith their parts department. See the post I made regarding parts in the forum exterior area about that.

marvmarcy

I would talk to Heartland first unless you think you've burned the bridge. I think you're right about the spare being defective when you bought the rig new. It should be easy for your dealer to see that the tire/wheel had never been mounted on the axle and had no wear on the tread. The spare would be hard to damage when in the carrier, and there would often be other damage in that area. I think Heartland gets most wheels/tires already assembled from Tredit, and I've heard good thing about how Tredit treats their customers. Otherwise, that steel wheel used for the spare costs a lot more than most people would expect.

Jim.Allison

If you cant squeeze a steel rim out of them and you have to purchase then a matching alloy is not much more than a steel, a matching alloy wheel would allow you to contend with a tire problem far away from home by installing a matching assembly and then purchasing a cheap spare until you could get home. It would also allow you to rotate the spare into the rotation, if you are one that rotates trailer tires. When I bought the 17.5 I bought 5 alloy rims, Its nice to know that I don't have to have an unmatched wheel and I don't have to do anything but put a new tire on the carrier.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am not sure about the spare, but the aluminum wheels have a lifetime guarantee. I would contract Tredit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

branson4020

Icantre Member
I would talk to Heartland first unless you think you've burned the bridge. I think you're right about the spare being defective when you bought the rig new. It should be easy for your dealer to see that the tire/wheel had never been mounted on the axle and had no wear on the tread. The spare would be hard to damage when in the carrier, and there would often be other damage in that area. I think Heartland gets most wheels/tires already assembled from Tredit, and I've heard good thing about how Tredit treats their customers. Otherwise, that steel wheel used for the spare costs a lot more than most people would expect.

I would expect about 75 bucks, tops, for a new one. Half that used.