ST or LT Tires?

Sandpirate69

I'm in the process of deciding what tire to purchase. I've seen posts of folks who have or using LT tires and those that swear by the ST tires. Anyone on here using LT tires with at least 10K miles and is happy with thim? Also, how do the sides of the LT tires handle tight turns? Any evidence of shoulder wear, as they (supposedly) don't have such a stronger side carcass? I'm looking at Michelin 275 LT 75 R 16, they are 1" bigger with a capacity of approx. 3700lbs single wheel load.

Thanks,
Ivan

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
ST tires are made for a trailer, they run cooler, less drag, rated for higher weight in most cases, are narrower and can slide sideways easier with less damage during RV use. Brands/quality matter, some LT tires are better than a cheaper ST. Lighter RV's can use a LT, what weight axles do you have? OEM wheels are 6" wide.
A 275 LT 75 R16 tire requires a wider wheel 7"-8".

Last edited:

lwmcguir

275 (275/25.43=10.81 inches) X .75 = 206.25 (206.25/25.43= 8.11) 8.11x2=16.22+16=32.22 This is the way you calculate the P metric series of tires to find out the width in inches and height in inches

lwmcguir

Trailer tires should be ran on trailer tires contrary to some of the posters that use LT tires. As the recent poster noted they (LT series) create problems while really solving none. I know some of you folks disagree however we are talking about the normal daily use of a trailer, not the infrequent use of a camper

GOTTOYS

Go compare the ST and LT tires side by side. Don't believe all the myths about the ST having a heavier sidewall. Look for yourself. LT tires at a minimum weigh at least 10# more per tire. Some are 20# heavier. There is NO comparison in sidewall thickness. The LT wins hands down. I have well over 10,000 miles on my B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs. Absolutely trouble free! I know what I have, I'm not just quoting other stories I have read on the internet. They don't run hot, they handle great, they still look like new, are wearing evenly and they are not limited to a maximum speed of under 65mph like an ST tire is. They are AMERICAN made. With the exception of the Goodyear G614 there is no other American made ST tire on the market. Period! Even the unreliable Goodyear Marathon is another version of a China bomb with an American name on the side. If you must have an ST tire the only viable choices out there are the Goodyear G614 which is a Load range G tire or the Maxxis which is an Asian import with a solid reputation. I wouldn't use any of the other STs for anything more than a tire swing....Don

hoefler

Go compare the ST and LT tires side by side. Don't believe all the myths about the ST having a heavier sidewall. Look for yourself. LT tires at a minimum weigh at least 10# more per tire. Some are 20# heavier. There is NO comparison in sidewall thickness. The LT wins hands down. I have well over 10,000 miles on my B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs. Absolutely trouble free! I know what I have, I'm not just quoting other stories I have read on the internet. They don't run hot, they handle great, they still look like new, are wearing evenly and they are not limited to a maximum speed of under 65mph like an ST tire is. They are AMERICAN made. With the exception of the Goodyear G614 there is no other American made ST tire on the market. Period! Even the unreliable Goodyear Marathon is another version of a China bomb with an American name on the side. If you must have an ST tire the only viable choices out there are the Goodyear G614 which is a Load range G tire or the Maxxis which is an Asian import with a solid reputation. I wouldn't use any of the other STs for anything more than a tire swing....Don

This pretty much goes with my experience as well. When my ST trailer tire exploded and took out the car next to me on the interstate and the side of our trailer, I went straight to a tire dealer and bought 5 new 10 ply Hankook LT tires. Th LT's weigh over double of the ST tires that came off. They are full steel construction, including the side walls. I have had them to Jackson Hole Wy., Key West Fl., and to Las Vegas in 110* heat with out any issue or hint there of. I don't drive slow, I do the speed limit ( don't go there ). I also have Maxxis LT tires on a enclosed trailer I pull daily with 6,500 pounds on it continuously. For me I will not go back to ST tires, they have proven they don't hold up. Go to your tire shop of choice, have them place a good quality LT tire of proper size and capacity next to a ST tire of proper size and capacity side by side and just pick them up, you can feel the difference.

Gary521

The topic has been rehashed thousands of times over the past few years. Like the previous posts in this thread, ST tires made in China just do not have the quality built in them. You might get lucky with a set or you might not. It's a crap shoot. If you want the same size of LT tire as the ST tire, I am talking about diameter and sectional width, the size is 245/75/16. A friend of mine and myself, we got the Bridgestone 265 Rib tire. 10,000 miles to Alaska and two trips to Arizona, no problems. Before I switched, got a tire pressure monitor (greatest invention ever for RV peace of mind ). This thing monitors pressure and tire temperature. With the ST tires, I kept getting false positives for low tire pressure after I stopped for a pit stop break. The issue is the temperature build up and cool down. I don't get this with the LT tires. Heat is the real enemy of tires.

dougw

Feel fee to explain why the st tires have more carrying capacity the lt tires? My research is showing the same size lt tires are coming up shy on this for e rated tires.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Feel fee to explain why the st tires have more carrying capacity with the st tires vs lt tires? My research is showing the same size tires are coming up shy on this for e rated tires.

Maybe their over rated ??

Tombstonejim

Believe what you want buy what you want.
My Ford is better than your Ram.
I like hefty women you like skinny ones.

I been towing gooseneck horse trailers all my life. Most of the horse people I know choose LT tires. St tires are rated 65MPH most LT tires are a minimum of 85 MPH.

I am luckey to get 5000miles out of ST tire and LT's usually die of old age.

I run LT's after the ST go south which usually is not long. I have had numerous blowouts with ST's and don't recall any with LT's.

GOTTOYS

As a final note from me..We have all seen and read countless posts about ST tires blowing out and at times causing damage to the trailer as well. You can find those posts on any RV forum. I have yet to see ONE similar tale of woe anywhere, about the same thing happening while using a LT tire...Yet we still have those misinformed believers that we MUST use those junk ST tires. I just don't get it. Somebody, please show me just one post, just one....Don

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
As a final note from me..We have all seen and read countless posts about ST tires blowing out and at times causing damage to the trailer as well. You can find those posts on any RV forum. I have yet to see ONE similar tale of woe anywhere, about the same thing happening while using a LT tire...Yet we still have those misinformed believers that we MUST use those junk ST tires. I just don't get it. Somebody, please show me just one post, just one....Don
D

Deep Breath Don, take a deep breath. :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well Don I'm with you, I would not use a ST tire on my rig.
However, the Goodyear G-614 is an LT tire and I know of at least two that have thrown a tread and had some damage.

Peace
Dave

Sandpirate69

Guys,

I appologize for starting this thread again. But my rig has 7K axles, which means I need tires with at least a load capacity of 3500lbs. I have searched all over the internet and came up with this particular Michelin tire LT 275. 75 R16 E rated & it will hold up to 3700 lbs (if i remember correctly). As I said before I have been unable to find a tire for my rig. The g614 require a different rim & I really don't want to buy an entire set of rims & tires. If someone has located a tire that will fit my rig's load cappacity or have them, please tell me. I understand that the standard rim is 6" wide, that's why I put this thread again. Information is paramount.

I wasn't looking to upset anyone over the ST or LT tire configuration. I'm just trying to keep my family safe on our roads, as well as the family who may be traveling next to me.

Anyone with info. please send to me or PM me.

Thanks,
Ivan

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Guys,

I appologize for starting this thread again. But my rig has 7K axles, which means I need tires with at least a load capacity of 3500lbs. I have searched all over the internet and came up with this particular Michelin tire LT 275. 75 R16 E rated & it will hold up to 3700 lbs (if i remember correctly). As I said before I have been unable to find a tire for my rig. The g614 require a different rim & I really don't want to buy an entire set of rims & tires. If someone has located a tire that will fit my rig's load cappacity or have them, please tell me. I understand that the standard rim is 6" wide, that's why I put this thread again. Information is paramount.

I wasn't looking to upset anyone over the ST or LT tire configuration. I'm just trying to keep my family safe on our roads, as well as the family who may be traveling next to me.

Anyone with info. please send to me or PM me.

Thanks,
Ivan

Easy call in a way......in your case the GY G614 LT or go to 17.5 rims since you need new rims anyway. The 275 Mich's need a wider wheel so they won't crown and wander all over the road like most LT tires. ST tires get a bad rap because 'most' not all are low quality.
Don't fret, I had to buy 4 stonger 3700lbs wheels @ $105 ea. for my Sundance Ultra-lite XLT to accept a "E rated quality heavy ST tire". I have twice the tire and wheel rating they say I need but it seems just right to me.

dougw

I'd like to know what 3700 lb maxxis tires you bought. Per web site max is 3420 lbs. I had maxis on myold trailer but it wasnt a 5th wheel with 7k axles. Most e rated tires I've looked at are all advertised at less than 3500 as well.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd like to know what 3700 lb maxxis tires you bought. Per web site max is 3420 lbs. I had maxis on myold trailer but it wasnt a 5th wheel with 7k axles. Most e rated tires I've looked at are all advertised at less than 3500 as well.

I never posted I bought 3700lb. rated tires.:confused: I bought 3700lb wheels as posted above. The OEM wheels were only rated @ 2650 lb @ 55 psi. max.