Stabilizing equalizer with scissor jacks

JeffG1947

Another owner told me he bought a couple of used car scissor jacks and puts them under the suspension equalizer - raises the jacks enough to apply some pressure on the equalizers and reduce the bounce insider the trailer.

Anyone every hear of this? Does it work? Is it safe?

Thanks!

danemayer

I believe the suspension manufacturers will tell you not to jack up the suspension components.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some people use the scissor jack levelers like the kind found on pop-up campers.
They put them either just behind or in front of the tires.
From the ground to the frame.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

I have installed two of the scissor jacks just in front of the wheels on my BH 3055RL. They are mounted directly to the frame. After complete setup and level, I lower them just enough to take a good strain on them, not near enough to jack the trailer up, but enough to take the flex out of the frame and off the suspension when walking inside. Been on this one for over 4 years and works good. Do I use them every time I set up,, NO I don't,,,usually over night ,,, no... a couple of days or more ,, yes.

Jim M

caissiel

I bought 2 of 7000Lbs 24" scissor Jacks 2 years ago and installed them behind the rear wheels. Like the previous commented I don't drop them all the time but when I am looking for things to do and release the bounce off the springs. As I found out, these 7000Lbs jacks can lift heavy but will also turn back due to easy screw threads with bearings on the screw. I am still waiting the time the screw will turn harder.

I bought the 24 in ones because the 30" need to be installed diagonally so they will not extend past the trailer sides. I use 2 x 6 under and they reach just right. And lifting them about 6 to 8 inches will create a deflector for tire parts if I do have a blowout one of the rear tires.

I would recomend the 5000lbs without bearings on the screw so they stay.

azdryheat

I also use the scissor jacks behind my main wheels and they really do stabilize the trailer so you don't feel it when someone is walking around.

boatdoc

Our 3670 gets the scissor jack treatment when we stay a long weekend or more. Really does a good job. The jacks are cheap and not all that heavy. Got our's at the local wrecking yard.

wdk450

At least 1 of my equalizers is always cocked forward or backwards when I finish parking, especially if I have to get up on leveller blocks. Last night I found both of my equalizers cocked to where they were hitting the frame. I usually find this as I am chocking the wheels, and I am in no mood to repark at that time.
Is this a real problem, or just the way things are?

BTW, I am at Woodward Reservoir Regional Park, near Oakrdale, Ca. (east of Stockton). Full hookups (50 Amp), senior rate $15 a night. The place has a rep of being a "young people's" party site on the weekends, but is pretty quiet and empty here now.

Here is a pic I just took out my window at my computer desk. 004.jpg

TeJay

That was the biggest shock to us after moving from a MH to a TT. The TT's are just not very stable. The MH on the other hand has a much more ridged frame and when lifted or leveled by the hyrdraulic jacks they are very, very stable. The use of scissor jacks will help a lot with stabilizing the camper but what I noticed is that the equalizer jacks, which are on the four corners are very weak as far as stability. Have somebody inside bounce around after you're set up and watch the equalizer jacks shift and flex all over the place. They are made from some thin metal to save weight. I'm going to try some way to stiffen the parts of the Equalizers so they won't flex as much as they do. Maybe adding some aluminum angle or channel will help and not add to much weight. PM me in a few months and I'll let you know if I found a simple way to fix the flexing.

TeJay

boatdoc

Looks like a good fishin' hole right outside your door Bill!!! I'd be down there instead of in front of a computer screen.