Starlink Satellite System.

I am thinking of purchasing the Starlink system, but I am looking for more information?? Will the $599 system work for a stationary 5th Wheel? Will it work for a couple "Fire Stick" streaming devices for tv's? as well as email and computer work? How easy is it to set up? Any other pros and cons??

Thank you,
Bill

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I am thinking of purchasing the Starlink system, but I am looking for more information?? Will the $599 system work for a stationary 5th Wheel? Will it work for a couple "Fire Stick" streaming devices for tv's? as well as email and computer work? How easy is it to set up? Any other pros and cons??

Thank you,
Bill
We don’t have it but many in our winter park did. The dishes were mounted in various places, on the ground, on the picnic table, on a mast, etc.
I’m quite sure it’ll perform for you just fine. Like any satellite, you need a clear line of sight

wdk450

I see many, many, Starlink antennas at the 2 Thousand Trails parks I stay at in the San Diego area, maybe as many as 1 in 4 RV's. These parks both have the Jabba net WiFi service available at about $40 a month, but I have found their service performance pretty spotty. Starlink RV users that I have talked to mainly depend on it for on the road remote internet businesses and jobs. I also see the antennas (with the $160 a month service) on the RVers illegally camping along the side of the road.
I use the best ATT unlimited cellphone service for my Iphone XR bluetooth linked to my laptop for about $70 a month (including $25 a month veteran's discount). Cell signals are 5 bars at 1 park (with a local rancher having ATT and Verizon cell towers on his property literally across the street from the park), but not so great at the other park. I have a telescoping conduit (20 feet) with multiband cell antenna outside, and a Wilson MyFi 4 band bidirectional cell amplifier inside, which ups the 1 bar unamplified to 5 bars in that park. I also use Dish network for my TV, and currently pay about $140 a month for that (before my $160 a 7 month season MLB extra innings baseball package).

rmeyer

Thank you,
Bill
Have been using Starlink for 3 months. Works great for streaming, tablets, laptop, phone.Have used It sitting on ground and now on Flapole buddy for Starlink.

taskswap

We've had a Starlink for 2 years, one of the early adopters. It has pros and cons. It's congestion-sensitive so if there are a dozen Starlink users in your same service "hex" (which I think is like 13mi wide or so...) you'll lose bandwidth. And it's very expensive. The home plans cost like $120 but if you want to roam you need a plan that allows it. We have "Standard + Portability" which runs $145/mo. That's pretty pricey for Internet, and if you can get some other kind of plan elsewhere it's almost certainly going to be better and cheaper.

Except when you can't. That's where Starlink shines. Planning to go back-country in Colorado like we do? Or even just the state parks at Steamboat Lake, CO or Lake Mcconaughy in NE? Ever been promised good "campground wifi" only to find you can barely send an email, let alone watch a Youtube video? Tired of $7/day "premium wifi" plans from campgrounds with no cell service?

That's the rub with all the other options. They're almost all cheaper and almost all faster and lower latency. But when they don't work NOTHING makes them work. And all the cell plans I'm aware of have monthly bandwidth caps which is another challenge. Many times we've had good 5G cell service where a mobile hotspot works great for our needs. We've even used the "RV" version of the Weboost, the one with the 35' antenna, to pull in cell. And it does what it promises to do, usually adding in 2 bars of service and bringing in fainter signals from farther away in more campgrounds.

BUT, we're a family of 6 and I work remotely so sometimes we'll travel on a Thursday night so my wife and kids have an extra day to enjoy a campground (Friday) while I work. We would regularly hit 25-35GB a month caps and even trying to spread it across two cell plans was a hassle. For folks spending more than the occasional weekend in their camper (full-timing or even regularly enough to hit a bandwidth cap) Starlink is pretty compelling because it has no caps.

I'm sending this on a Starlink right now.