Storage Compartment Vent

JanAndBill

Recently noticed that the Vent in the bulkhead of our 3260EL is not connected to a heat duct. I had just assumed that the duct into the compartment was connected to the furnace. Can anyone comment? Shoud there be a connection to the furnace or is this just a vent. Is there any heat in this area???

GOTTOYS

Mine is just a vent also. There is a small hose in the belly that ends near the tanks to supply some heat to that area. The vent in the bulkhead just allows some of that air to circulate....Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Does your vent look something like this? If so, it's just to circulate air, not have a duct on it. This vent was originally mounted in the basement wall until I put in the access panel. My converter is (re)located right behind it with the fan facing the vent.

View attachment 25806

JanAndBill

Apparently it is just a vent. I was concerned because they had that whole bulkhead out to do some warranty work, and I was concerned they hadn't hooked it back up. I like that access door. I'd like to do that to mine also. It was hard to tell from the picture, is it hinged on the bottom???

At one point in time I was told that the vent is there due to the built in vacumn. I'm not sure if that is true or not. Can't even remember who told me that (I think it might have been the dealer on the original walk through.) I was told not to block it or the vacumn would not work properly. I don't know if this is true or not.

olcoon

Our Elk Ridge has no vacuum, not even sure if it was an option on ours. We have a vent similar & it is right at the converter, with the fan end pointed towards the vent.

JohnDar

Apparently it is just a vent. I was concerned because they had that whole bulkhead out to do some warranty work, and I was concerned they hadn't hooked it back up. I like that access door. I'd like to do that to mine also. It was hard to tell from the picture, is it hinged on the bottom???

Not hinged. There are four barrel bolts holding it in so I can easily remove it without having to move much, if anything, to inspect back there. A similar panel is behind my UDC, but no vent in it.

jbeletti

I believe this vent is an RVIA requirement for ventilation of heat build up behind the wall due to the converter being there.

JanAndBill

There is a small hose in the belly that ends near the tanks to supply some heat to that area

We had originally planned on ordering our unit with the Yetti Package, but this unit was on the lot, and had just about everything we wanted. Is there a difference in how they supply supplemental heat to the lower compartments with the Yetti Package?

danemayer

There is a small hose in the belly that ends near the tanks to supply some heat to that area

We had originally planned on ordering our unit with the Yetti Package, but this unit was on the lot, and had just about everything we wanted. Is there a difference in how they supply supplemental heat to the lower compartments with the Yetti Package?

The 2" duct supplies heat to the underbelly independent of the Yeti package. However, it doesn't supply a lot of heat to the underbelly. The Yeti package comes with holding tank heating pads to keep the tanks from freezing. It also comes with heat tape and insulation on the main water line as it goes through the underbelly to keep it from freezing. There's also additional insulation in the front and rear caps, and I believe in the slideout floors.

You're probably good down to the mid 20s (F), but there's a point where the little bit of furnace heat going into the underbelly will not keep up with sub-freezing temps. Things will freeze.

priorguy

I was looking at SOB at my local dealer (same town) and he told me the vent was there because of the battery to give it somewhere to offgas. If he woulda taken my funfinder in trade I wouldn't be a proud heartland owner today.

JohnDar

I was looking at SOB at my local dealer (same town) and he told me the vent was there because of the battery to give it somewhere to offgas. If he woulda taken my funfinder in trade I wouldn't be a proud heartland owner today.

Might depend on the rig, but the battery for mine is in a compartment under the hydraulic pump, on the opposite side of the basement with a vent hose from the enclosed battery case cover to the front of the rig, under the overhang. As far as heat release from the converter, there is so much empty space behind the basement walls that I don't see that as a problem. Especially since my converter was factory mounted at the rear of the space very close to the wall with the fan facing the back wall. Until I relocated it so it is behind that vent. In my access panel, the vent is about where it was on the original wall section. If it's throwing a lot of heat, I don't feel it. My beer stash is close to the vent and I can tolerate drinking a can straight from the box, even in summer. Drawbacks of three years in Europe, maybe, burp!

JanAndBill

Thanks for the info Dan. Earlier in the year we got caught in a cold snap with temps down to 24. Nothing froze inside, but outside the hose and campground faucet froze up solid. Probably to late to retrofit heating pads and tape, any suggestions on supplemental heat. I've used 100 watt bulbs in metal reflectors in the basement compartments of previous units with no freeze up inside down to the high teens.