Suggestions to help stabilize my RV!

Booch

Love our Heartland North Trail 24bhs, but it's quite wobbly at times. A kid walking to the bathroom at night is enough to wake everyone up sometimes. So, I'm looking for some tips on how to get this thing to sit a little more solid at the campsite.

The stabilizer jacks are firm as far as I can tell. Once they touch the ground, I do 1-2x more crank, and then walk around the RV and check them all a few times, looking for play and adjusting accordingly. 2 wheels are chocked, and I use 3 or 4 stacked 2x12s under the tongue so the jack isn't over-extended.

I bought some bigger chocks this year, but am looking for some more suggestions as to what might help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One at each set of wheels, so you need two of them.
Another thing that helps a lot is to add another stabilizer near the axles.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yup!

The X-chocks for sure . . .

And, put some blocks under the scissor jacks so you don't have to extend them out too far.

They are much sturdier if they don't get extended out too far!

I also still use my old screw-up jacks placed by the wheels to add a little more sturdiness.

Matter of fact, I am typing this from our Prowler at the AZ HOC Rodeo Rally in Tucson and our trailer is solid as a rock.

Last edited:

Dynatrak

I had the same problem on a previous travel trailer. I put JT Strong Arm stabilizers on it. Never had motion problems with them. Sometimes in sandy areas I did have to re-adjust them if staying several days as the jacks would settle. There are other brands that may be just as good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Booch

I do put the blocks under the jacks, and it does help. I'd also read about some of those gadgets. Nice to know they do actually work.

Thanks, for the info so far.

ram_1955

I had a Crossroads 32RL that had power stabilizers front and rear. It was very unstable. I added 4 scissor jacks. Front pair about half way between the front stabilizers and the axles. Rear set just behind the rear axle. At the same time I made my own version of the JT Strong Arms out of steel conduit. After this the trailer was very stable.

JohnD

Hey Booch . . .

Colorado is not that far away from you . . .

If you can . . . come to one of our Colorado HOC Rallies!

JohnD

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-stack-jacks-set-of-2/4204

When we had our bumper pull, I used two of these aluminum jack stands in front of the tires, one on each side. Usually had them on blocks and just ran them up to the frame. Very inexpesive and worked well.

Am I ever glad I kept those old screw up jacks from our old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24' travel trailer!

I still use them to steady our current 5th-wheeler!

ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg AZRodeoRally-IMG_5242.jpg

Can't really see them in the first shot . . . but they are there!