t-shooting the converter

tomm00

TomM
The converter on my '06 Big Horn RL3055 is behind the rear curbside wall in the main storage compartment. Just replaced the 25amp fuses and the converter is working fine. BTW: My converter was an Intellipower BD3260.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I believe our converter also bit the big one! Went out today and no 12 volt lights! Battery was dead. Put a meter on the battery wires to see if a charge was coming in and nothing! When I have a day or two I will take the basement walls down and check it from behind.

Question...if the battery is dead (I did notice a light was left on in the front storage area) will the converter not work. Our rig is always plugged into AC. Rig is just over 1 year old so the PD warranty should still be good. Seems kind of soon for a converter to burn out!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I believe our converter also bit the big one! Went out today and no 12 volt lights! Battery was dead. Put a meter on the battery wires to see if a charge was coming in and nothing! When I have a day or two I will take the basement walls down and check it from behind.

Question...if the battery is dead (I did notice a light was left on in the front storage area) will the converter not work. Our rig is always plugged into AC. Rig is just over 1 year old so the PD warranty should still be good. Seems kind of soon for a converter to burn out!
Thats a good question.....on ours when the converter went out the refrigerator stopped working. (along with all lights, furnace, water pump).

SJH

Yup...all that 12v stuff doesn't work for us either but the TV and Microwave do as we are shore powered! I am charging the battery as we "speak" but since I can get nothing on the amp meter from the battery cables or the DC distribution panel I am not to optimistic :(

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are 3 30 amp fuses on the converter. If they blow the converter will not work. That is the first thing to check. You can also put a battery charger on the battery to get by until you have time to troubleshoot the converter.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had that problem some time ago. I had two converters go out and were replaced under warranty. Well one day I went out and the battery was almost dead again. I took it out and put on my work bench and put a charger on it. I then checked the converter to see what it was doing. I got 13.4VDC. Checked the battery and it said it was till charging. Took it to Autozone and it had a bad cell. It was an Intersate battery. I took out and replaced it with a Gel Battery from Good Sams. Never had another problem. The problem with the converter was it was constantly trying to charge a bad battery.

I had a friend the other day ask me if I had the converter set for a Gel battery. Didn't know of such a thing. Guess I need to do some research. If you have an Interstate Battery, IMO, get rid of it.

BC

brianharrison

Hello Bob,

Here is some research that I have used in the past for battery chargers and converters. Click here. Some research suggests Gel cell charging rates should be less than standard flooded cell lead-acid batteries (about 1/2 the rate) for the bulk charge period (high amps).

Some higher end battery chargers/converters allow the user to select battery type. The Progressive Dynamics charger in my unit does not support this option.

Take care,
Brian

branson4020

Icantre Member
Bob,

I'll bet what you really bought is an AGM-type battery, like an Optima. Theses are not gel-cells. Many, many folks, even sales folks, confuse the types. AGM batteries have approximately the same charging profile as a standard flooded battery and will work fine with your converter. If you really have a gel-cell, then it does need a lower charge rate and I don't think your converter has a setting for that.

TedS

Our converter went out, an internal component failed. Replaced under warranty. I remounted it so I can see the fuses without removing the converter. Still have to open the basement wall. I have the model with builtin Intelle'whatever' charge control and connected to two agm batteries. Everything is running well, now.

SJH

UPDATE:

OK...took about 30 minutes to get the basement panels off in the 3450TS (I will post some pictures for those that have this model later) It was quite the puzzle for this novice handyman. They had to come off in a specific order...there were three screws inside the UDC that had to be removed plus a ceiling cover on the door side etc. Hope I can get it back together :confused: On a side note, I was quite pleased with the array of hoses and wires...much neater than I expected!

Anyway, followed the instructions, unplugged the converter and checked for 120v at the outlet...nothing! But wait, everything 120v in the rig worked TV, micro etc. On to the distribution panel and the circuit breakers. All had 120 except the converter breaker...now, remember I am a novice handyman...they don't even have a word to describe my electrical ability!! Just for fun, I went to the back of the coach and unplugged the 50a cord from the rig. Cleaned it and made sure it was tight. Back to the breakers...meter now says 120v for the converter. Crawl into the basement, meter now says 120v at the outlet. Go to battery, meter says battery is now receiving a 13.5v charge.

Moral of the story...if something electrical doesn't work...jiggle the 50a shore cord! ;)

Now...back out to the rig to install the panels!

Thanks for all your help!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
UPDATE:

OK...took about 30 minutes to get the basement panels off in the 3450TS (I will post some pictures for those that have this model later) It was quite the puzzle for this novice handyman. They had to come off in a specific order...there were three screws inside the UDC that had to be removed plus a ceiling cover on the door side etc. Hope I can get it back together :confused: On a side note, I was quite pleased with the array of hoses and wires...much neater than I expected!

Anyway, followed the instructions, unplugged the converter and checked for 120v at the outlet...nothing! But wait, everything 120v in the rig worked TV, micro etc. On to the distribution panel and the circuit breakers. All had 120 except the converter breaker...now, remember I am a novice handyman...they don't even have a word to describe my electrical ability!! Just for fun, I went to the back of the coach and unplugged the 50a cord from the rig. Cleaned it and made sure it was tight. Back to the breakers...meter now says 120v for the converter. Crawl into the basement, meter now says 120v at the outlet. Go to battery, meter says battery is now receiving a 13.5v charge.

Moral of the story...if something electrical doesn't work...jiggle the 50a shore cord! ;)

Now...back out to the rig to install the panels!

Thanks for all your help!

That's just wierd. The incoming power goes to the 50A breaker on the panel, then distributed to the breakers for the converter along with every other 120V circuit. So if everything but the converter was working at 120V, you may have something else loose. That it worked after you jiggled the cord may indicate that it got shaken while you were janking the cord. You might want to check the connections for the converter breaker.

I also lost two converters, that were replaced under warrenty. I don't know why the first one failed, but the second one was water damage. To have this unit under the bathroom, with three water lines above it was not a good idea. After looking around, found the best place for it. Under the frig. A nice empty space next to the braker box, and no water anywere. Had to add three feet of ground wire.

sgtbigb

Wow I hate to join the faulty converter conversation, but last evening pulling into a camp ground in Illinois and it happen, the fronts legs came down, but nothing else happen. After an hour of meter checking, tearing the basemennt apart to get to converter, found fuse was good, A/C power going in, no D/C power comming out. Now this is the best part, went to Walmart and purchase a new battery, and the park owner loan me a battery charger to charge the old battery. Worse part we are now in Branson Missouri and I seem to cannot get any help from Heartland CS. Tommorow I will give a 5TH call and explain very gently of my disatifaction of service that I have received from them so far.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wow I hate to join the faulty converter conversation, but last evening pulling into a camp ground in Illinois and it happen, the fronts legs came down, but nothing else happen. After an hour of meter checking, tearing the basemennt apart to get to converter, found fuse was good, A/C power going in, no D/C power comming out. Now this is the best part, went to Walmart and purchase a new battery, and the park owner loan me a battery charger to charge the old battery. Worse part we are now in Branson Missouri and I seem to cannot get any help from Heartland CS. Tommorow I will give a 5TH call and explain very gently of my disatifaction of service that I have received from them so far.

You might try calling Progressive Dynamics (unless you have some other brand) before you crawl up HL's tailpipes. I'd wager their service department is still reeling from the work they did for the rally.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/rv_products.html

danemayer

Hi Gene, I enjoyed talking with you at dinner Saturday night and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Anytime I have 2 parties pointing at one another, I ask for them to get on the phone with each other and then tell me how the problem is going to be resolved. It sounds like you're there and I would expect Heartland Customer Service to take ownership, call their key contact at Progressive, and someone get back to you with an answer that meets your needs.

When my converter stopped working, and I wasn't sure how long it would take to resolve, I picked up a $50 battery charger at Walmart and used that for a couple of days. I figured I'd need one anyway for battery maintenance.

Btw, this is why I put the piano hinge on the basement wall panel. I had to take the wall down a couple of times for the converter (which turned out to be unplugged), and then for something else. After 3 times, I decided I needed better access.

sgtbigb

I did go to Walmart and bought the $50.00 battery charger and seems to be keeping the battery charged. I hope to get the problem solved today. I will let u know.
Hi Gene, I enjoyed talking with you at dinner Saturday night and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Anytime I have 2 parties pointing at one another, I ask for them to get on the phone with each other and then tell me how the problem is going to be resolved. It sounds like you're there and I would expect Heartland Customer Service to take ownership, call their key contact at Progressive, and someone get back to you with an answer that meets your needs.

When my converter stopped working, and I wasn't sure how long it would take to resolve, I picked up a $50 battery charger at Walmart and used that for a couple of days. I figured I'd need one anyway for battery maintenance.

Btw, this is why I put the piano hinge on the basement wall panel. I had to take the wall down a couple of times for the converter (which turned out to be unplugged), and then for something else. After 3 times, I decided I needed better access.

sgtbigb

Well I call this morning and spoke to David in CS. I gently explaned to David my Disatifaction so far with CS. David insured me that he will take care of the problem. He stated he would call me back with an answer. About an 1/2 hour later he call he had arranged for me to get my unit look at at a local repair shop (20 miles a way, but that is better than the 50 miles for a the shop that was recommend yesterday, but they never return my call:=( Long story short Mike at Certifeld RV check the convertor, yes it was bad. He call David, who indicate that he will overnite a convertor tommorow and should be here thursday. Davis at CS call me a told me the same thing. I am happy, maybe monday was just a bad day for all.

bsuds

Hi all, I am new on here and also new to RV'ing so be gentle lol. We are having charging issues with our 2011 3250BC and I'm thinking it could be the converter. How do I get access to check it. Do I remove the big panel that is under the unit or what? Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi bdsuds, and welcome to the forum. What problems are you having that make you think your converter has a problem? If you let us know that, maybe someone else has been there and can direct you right to a cure.
As to your origional question, you will need to remove the black carpeted panel in the basement. Actually, most likely both of them. For the one on the off door side, there are some screws in the UDC that hold one side in. The rest are the edge of that panel.

Peace
Dave