The adventure begins

Subdrv

I have been a member since we ordered the cyclone last year. The wife and I are finally both retired and left North Carolina today. The plan is to travel south to Florida then northwest to Washington State and south to Arizona. We plan on being back at the home base in eastern North Carolina by early November. We are going to move 200-300 mile and set up for a week to ride the harley. Then move on. I will be asking for good locations to camp as we move across the country. We are currently set up in Dillon South Carolina at Bass Lake campground it is a nice quite camp ground other than a little close to the interstate. We saw a lot of heartland owners headed north today on 95.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like a great trip. Bass Lake is a nice CG for a few overnights, although Dillon is not exactly a hotspot of activity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You think like us. We were at Bass Lake for four days in Feb due a breakdown on our traveling companion's tow vehicle. A trip to Myrtle Beach took place with the gals shopping at Tanger Outlet and dinner at PF Changs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loganhughes

That is exciting! We are thinking of retiring at the end of the year and hitting the road. BTW...how are you transporting the Harley. We have a Honda Cruiser and are considering transporting it with us.

Subdrv

That is exciting! We are thinking of retiring at the end of the year and hitting the road. BTW...how are you transporting the Harley. We have a Honda Cruiser and are considering transporting it with us.

Its in the back the cyclone is a toyhauler with a 12 foot garage.

Subdrv

Sorry haven't been on a lot, been busy traveling. Here is the latest. Traded the Ford for a Chevy in May 7000 miles of towing with the 3500 no issues. I really love the exhaust brake. We made it to Washington State in early July and did our Alaska cruise the first of August. We are in northern Oregon now moving south tomorrow to visit Crater lake and Coos Bay next week. We should make Reno by Labor Day then on to The ballon festival in Oct. It has been a great five months on the road. The Cyclone has done great. The only failures have been the vacuum and the sat dish both were replace under warranty. We have meet a lot of great people on are looking forward to the rest of the trip.

Last edited:

scottyb

What an adventure, and an Alaskan cruise on top of it all. What was your favorite campsite, so far? Any photos?

We will be doing the same thing one of these days, if my job doesn't kill me first.

Subdrv

Scotty it's hard to say on my favorite, Riverside in Loveland Co, Grizzly in West Yellowstone, North Whidbey Island in WA and Willamette Wine Country Rv in OR are my top 4. The wife has taken hundreds she has a private Facebook for family that see post them on and write a little history of the areas we visit. So far I've but 7k mile on the truck and 3k mile on the bike. I will try to get a few posted here. We are moving to Canyonville OR today. Should be there about 10 days.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
...it's hard to say on my favorite, Riverside in Loveland Co...

How did you like Riverside?

We just drove by there last week on our way home from a week in Estes Park and noticed that they had reopened since the floods last fall?

I've been wanting to stay there for some time now.

Subdrv

John it was a nice park all the services worked great, the staff was really friendly. They were still working on the sites along the river that had damage. But that should be done by now. The Lions club do a pancake breakfast on Saturday mornings. Location was the big thing for me at the time I didn't want to pull the 4000 up Estes Park, still no sure I would want to.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John it was a nice park all the services worked great, the staff was really friendly. They were still working on the sites along the river that had damage. But that should be done by now. The Lions club do a pancake breakfast on Saturday mornings. Location was the big thing for me at the time I didn't want to pull the 4000 up Estes Park, still no sure I would want to.

Actually, the pull up to Estes Park is not bad at all.

Now, if you wanted to go over Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park . . . well, not a good idea at all.

Although I saw some people doing just that when we were up there last week.

Subdrv

I don't think I would mind it now, we were only a month into the trip and I hadn't pulled in mountains yet. That has changed now lol.