The need for a second AC unit.

IrishReb

The Sundance 3000MK that we ordered comes with a 15.5K BTU AC unit. It does have the hook up for a second unit in the bed room. This unit is 33.5 feet in length. Is this one unit sufficient in most situations. Not thinking about extreme temps but the average. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'd have to say it depends on how much $$ you can get one installed for. We have a Bighorn3400RL with an inside length of 36'10". We have the 2nd A/C in the bedroom but rarely use it. Since you are from FL, I guess it depends on the high temps you'll be in most of the time as well.
I suppose in other words, if you can afford it, get it. If you really need it, you'll have it.
I did a modification to the air flow in our unit that really helped performance. Attached is a pdf of the modification.

Attachments

• Compiled_Air_Con_Mods_b.pdf
    891.6 KB · Views: 100

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO We would not be without a 2nd air conditioner. We stay in Texas most of the time and not unusual to stay in 90 plus degrees. Even with both going in the summer it is sometimes hard to keep it cool when the temps are 95 plus.

GOTTOYS

Even in Minnesota there have been times we wish we had a 2nd A/C in our 3250 Big Country. Our single unit just won't do the job if it's in the high 80s and up...Don

Gary521

If the temperature outside gets into the 90's, the one AC does not have the oomph to keep the inside nice and comfortable. The main issue is the heat gain coming from the single pane windows and insulation level in the unit. Installation of the second AC is fairly straight forward by an owner with a little knowledge. If you don't feel that you can do this then any RV shop can easily handle this task. We tried to make a single AC work but it ain't worth the sweat - so to speak.

jolar3329

We have a Big Horn 3670. With one A/C we could only cool to 13 deg below the outside temp. When it was 103 in Texas we could only cool to 90 inside. We added a second air in the bedroom.

mlburst1

Our experience has been the opposite – we follow warm/hot weather year round and our Sundance with a 15K A/C unit has always been able to keep the interior cool.

We do place cushions in the living room and bedroom vents (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vent-cushion/26552) and run the ceiling fan and a small floor fan (mostly for the dog) and have always been able to keep the unit at the thermostat set point.

I’d suggest waiting until you have used your new Sundance a few times in hot weather before deciding whether to add a second unit.

Enjoy your Sundance – it’s a great rig!

Mike

ncc1701e

The Sundance 3000MK that we ordered comes with a 15.5K BTU AC unit. It does have the hook up for a second unit in the bed room. This unit is 33.5 feet in length. Is this one unit sufficient in most situations. Not thinking about extreme temps but the average. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John

I can tell you we are wrestling with the same decision. Our previous unit was also a Sundance (2800RL) and the real issue there was not that the AC could not deliver enough cool air but that the ducting was not adjustable to force air to different sections when needed. I installed some adjustable vents. We just purchase our second Sundance (3310CL) which is 38'5" and only has one AC unit. We are going to wait on the second air until after a little warmer weather to see if it is really needed. I do not want to give up the vent in the bedroom. I will, however, be installing some adjustable vents in this unit first. Here is the website were I found venting that fits the units. D&W Inc. http://www.dwincorp.com/

Tom

IrishReb

I am also wondering if it is better to wait or if I should have the dealer intall it before delivery in March. Just wondering if we could get a better price waiting.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
All of the replies so far have not indicated what they consider a comfy temperature. Some enjoy 80°, others like 70°.
My wife is happy with 72° or less. If she ain't happy.....well you know the rest of the story.
I can tell you this, when we ordered our first Bighorn it had one AC. Two months later I was up on the roof installing a second AC.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am also wondering if it is better to wait or if I should have the dealer intall it before delivery in March. Just wondering if we could get a better price waiting.

I doubt you will want to wait until its uncomfortable to get a second one, it will be prime camping season and the dealers service centers will be full of work.... You might get a better deal now, when its "off season".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

There will be a few times when you don't necessarily need the 2nd air, but I guarantee there will be many times when you do. Especially if you plan on camping in the summer.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have added a 2nd A/C unit on the last 3 coaches we owned. With the last 2 coaches, the bedroom a/c also had a heat strip so we have been using the heating element this winter to heat the coach in the bedroom. With the heat strip in the bedroom and a floor heater in the main room, we have been very comfortable.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would suggest to order the coach from the factory with the 2nd AC. Also the 2nd AC should be a low profile one to lessen your height. Also you might opt for the heat pump instead of the Air Conditioner or at least get the AC with the heat strip so it can also act as a supplemental heater.

tpeden

We sprnt last July Fourth at Defeated Creek Campground near Nashivlle. With the temerature the entire week above 100 deg. I wish we had a second ac in our 2007 Sundance 3300SK!! Does any know if it is prewired for the second unit? It has a 30 amp service, so I am thinking that it is not.

dfk009

If you have 30 amp service, then you can only run one a/c. Our ElkRidge came with one unit, but was wired for the second unit, and it had 50 amp service. We should have listened to our own thinking, instead of the salesman, and ordered two units from the factory. The dealer install was fairly close in price, to the secound unit from factory.

Last edited:

BHEWITTJR

Same story here, we spent a week in Memphis in 100 degree heat with only one a/c. The first thing I did when we got home was to install the second one.

Speedy

I'm working with the service guy at the park we are staying at for a 2nd AC unit. He wants to install a standard 13.5K in front but I'm trying to get him to order a low profile unit. I'll update once installed.