Those with 6pt Leveling

Redrider007

I just received my Bighorn and am trying to understand the 6pt leveling. With my RV in my driveway it is on maybe a 3-4% slope front to back and maybe 1-2% left to right. When I put the unit on auto level it had the front tires off the ground and the right front jack in the air-I shut the system down and manually leveled it to about a 2% front to back. It even appears that my front jacks will kick out a bit also and not be straight up and down when it extends too much. My driveway is not a dramatic slope at all so this kinda freaks me out a bit.

EPaulikonis

I don't have access here, but there's a procedure to re-calibrate level on the system. I had to level my trailer by using the manual controls, then follow the procedure to set calibration. Keep the procedure handy once you get it because I've had to do this procedure at least 3 times last camping season. Here's a link to another forum entry by danemayer that has an LCI manual shortcut.

OEFVET

I agree with Eric, sounds like you need recalibration. But you should not have to continue to recalibrate. If you do, there is a problem. The system should retain it.

RoadJunkie

I don't have a leveling system, but are the units of measurement given in % or degrees? If %, then % of what? When I was thinking of buying a level system, I was advised against using the auto level mode.

dbbls59

The front legs do slant outward slightly. According to Lippert this makes the unit more stable. Your driveway may have too much slope to level the unit. The ground has to reasonably level for the system to work.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds to me like you might have to put a board or two under the jack that is in the air. There is a limit to how far the jack(s) will extend. There are times when we have to use a board or two under one or two jacks. Keep in mind the best way to recalibrate the system is on a level area. If you recalibrate on a non-level area it will tend to make the coach unlevel on an area that is not level. There are times you might even need to get your tires on boards to help it get level from side to side. And yes the front jacks are at a slight outward angle which helps keep it more stable.

happykraut

I don't have a leveling system, but are the units of measurement given in % or degrees? If %, then % of what? When I was thinking of buying a level system, I was advised against using the auto level mode.
RoadJunkie the best advice I can give you is to not take anymore advice from whomever gave you that advice. Auto Level is one of the greatest things that has ever come along. By the way it is degrees.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
RoadJunkie the best advice I can give you is to not take anymore advice from whomever gave you that advice. Auto Level is one of the greatest things that has ever come along. By the way it is degrees.

We almost always use the Auto-Level

EPaulikonis

The readout provides a degrees reading in tenths for front to back and side to side. The reading is based on the zero setting for the LCI Level Up system. There is, I believe, one box located at the rear of the coach that sense orientation of the trailer (nose to tail and side to side). I haven't searched for the location on my coach, but I recall another thread where the owner mentioned location toward the rear of the coach. Here's a link to the sensor that I believe is used with the system.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was advised against using the auto level mode.
I almost always use the auto level. That's what it was designed to do and that's why I have it.
Sounds like you were given advice by someone that has no experience with the system.
We have had it for over four years now and I am still amazed at how fast our set up is.

Peace
Dave

DocFather

Someone dropped the ball on calibrating mine when I took delivery July 2013. It does not seem to difficult to calibrate, but I have been lazy, and it only takes a couple of minutes for me to manually level the unit.

kaycha

My Infinity has the same system as the Big Horn, my carport slants 8-10 degrees left to right, when the unit is parked and in the auto-level position the two left wheels come off the ground. After reading the on-line instructions, it states that the leveling system is not to be used as a jack. Wheels off the ground means it is a jack. I now store the unit in the carport in the un-level position. System worked extremely well during our most recent 3000 mile trip.

jnbhobe

Mine has leveled up with one side off the ground many times and I have changed tires also, it also sits in storage all winter on the Level-Up, its never been a problem.

SeattleLion

Hydraulic systems are very established and extremely reliable. Once a piston (leg) has extended to where you want it, only a mechanical failure of a valve, for example, will cause it to fail. With the six point leveling system, a failure isn't a disaster (unless it's the landing gear, and even those are independent for each side of the trailer). Worst case, the trailer is supported by its wheels.

SeattleLion

They are separate cylinders on my BH and are controlled separately. Frequently one is extended further than the other so the trailer is level.

jnbhobe

They are separate cylinders on my BH and are controlled separately. Frequently one is extended further than the other so the trailer is level.

Do you have a separate switch for each side ? When my jacks go down one may hit the ground before the other but then it stops until the other one makes contact then they both extend together. The two jacks on the right work together and the two on the left operate the same way.

jnbhobe

OK your's are like everyone else's they all work in pairs the front two, left center and rear and the right center and rear