Tire Blowing Problem – Possible Fix?

DW_Gray

The more I’ve read RV forums about tires blowing, and too many times within 6 months of purchase, I'm becoming more convinced these tires were damaged by the commercial RV towing professional. But if that is true, then he or she is not performing the job professionally.

Amy and I were discussing it today and we can recall several times when a commercial driver towing RVs were flying by us.

Maybe it would be prudent that we take more notice of this possibility and be proactive. I know that kind of makes us look like policing a problem, but I don't know any other alternative without some kind of enactment of a state and/or federal law. I don’t think the RV industry has any control over the commercial driver.

One thing I think we could do is take a tire gauge with us to a dealership and check the tire pressure on any trailer we are considering purchasing. If the tire pressure is below certification label rating or the sidewall maximum rating, that could be a good negotiation talking point.

What say you?

Westwind

Why not? My theory is anything goes before and when you are negotiating to buy, but I would love to see the face of the salesperson when you state that one!!!

jimtoo

I will agree with you to a point. I towed my first Heartland unit about 5000 miles,, no problems. Second unit I, myself, picked up from factory delivery yard in Elkhart in Dec. NEVER drove over 65mph,, first 1400 miles empty... next 1000 miles OK,,, made a 150 mile trip with just very minimum clothes and stuff... tread came off and did $2500 in damage,, tire did not go flat and we had TPS system and it did not tell me tread came off. :)
This was all on major highways,,, no major holes or bumps...I was the only one to tow,,, unless you can blame it on the 1 mile from factory to storage yard. So it is not only delivery drivers. I think they are just putting on the cheapest tire they can get.. not only Heartland ,,, but all the others also. But,,, I do know because I have seen some transports towing at 70 or better... time is money to them... so they may not respect the limits of the tires. But .. how can you control the delivery driver?

Now for more tire experiences. I have sold and had Michelin tires for years... I had Michelin on my truck.,, less than 3 years old,,,. 25,000mile.. one just exploded after driving 10 miles and I was stopped and out of truck... it was replaced N/C... next,,, at about 30000 miles,,, one threw tread,,,outside rear dually... did not go flat.... $3000 damage to truck... Michelin replaced all tires at no charge and paid for damages.

So it's not just Towmax,, but others have problems also,,, maybe just not as many problems.

TravisJen

When we picked up our unit, we drove it straight home and went through it to become familiar with everything. Since I trust no one, I decided to check tire pressures and wheel torque. Tires were at 45 PSI and wheels weren't evenly torqued to spec. I called the dealership and let them know how incompetent the person doing the PDI was.
I assume the tires weren't properly inflated when it was towed up here which is kind of concerning.