Tire heat

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! Does anyone know just what heat is acceptable on tire's ? There must be some guidelines for this !
chaseb

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Don't know what is "the acceptable" range but ours can get 15-20 degrees above ambient tempertures. What I watch for mostly is any tire with a drastic temp difference from the others. Expect the shade side tires to be cooler.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ditto what SJH said. I also think the road surface will affect the tire temps. Our Goodyear G614's run cooler than the Karrier's we originally had so tire construction also has something to do with it. I just watch for the odd temp. One that's considerably higher than the others. Also do a feel test when stopping for fuel or a potty run. Tire and hub!

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Ditto what SJH said. I also think the road surface will affect the tire temps. Our Goodyear G614's run cooler than the Karrier's we originally had so tire construction also has something to do with it. I just watch for the odd temp. One that's considerably higher than the others. Also to a feel test when stopping for fuel or a potty run. Tire and hub!
Great advice for sure. The higher pressure tires run cooler due to less flexing. Our 17.5's barely get hot compared to 10 ply tires. Keeping air pressure is critical. Hot tires don't last as long. All tires have heat ratings based on the construction. Heat is their worst enemy reducing life and increasing the chance of a catastrophic failure.

TeJay

If you check the TPMS web sights for tire monitors you will find some info. Specifically the company TST or Truck Systems Technology. They make a good TPMS and their system monitors tire pressure and temperature. If I remember correctly their system is set to send an alarm when the tire(s) go above 158 degrees -F. That is where it has been determined that you will experience tire damage from heat if is allowed to continue. That temperature setting is adjustable but they advise that you not change it for two reasons. If you lower it to much you may get alarms that are not realistic. If you set it to high you know what might happen. I believe that temp of 158 degree's was established by Michelin. I think they know what they are doing.

TeJay

jnbhobe

Tejay is right 158* is the low set point for the high temp on tst's unit. Sure seems hot to me but thats the number they use. I have seen mine as high as 127*.

brlr2000

We live in the Las Vegas desert, and temperatures in the shade can often get over 110* . So, I don't think 158* seems too hot. But then again, tires out here don't last more than 3 or 4 years.

1231ChaseB

Thanks for the reply's everyone ! For the time being i now have an IR thermometer to check these tire's ! I'll go by the 158 degree temp and see what happen's the next time out !
chaseb

TXTiger

I have only had my rig 3 months and just got the TST TPMS system. TST says to set keep the pre-set setting for temp at 158. The monitor shows about that temp when rolling. When I stop I put my hand on the tires and they don't feel very hot so I think that is a good setting to keep.

dave10a

My tires run 120 to 150 depending on the ambient temperature and asphalt temperature from direct sun. On the Mojave I got 150 at 62mph with and ambient of 110 deg and on Wolf Creek pass going over the continental divide at 45mph I got 120 with and ambient of 75 degrees. My monitor is a gross reading of the drum and tire mechanics and is not really what the tread is seeing. It takes a pyrometer like the one we use in racing to find the real tread temperature for each side and middle of each tire. Also, I am going to fill the tires up with nitrogen to see if the helps. My truck has nitrogen and its tires run much cooler than the trailer. I going by touch and not measured. It would be helpful if people posted their tire size, trailer weight, temps vs ambient day and night driving so we could get some idea of what to expect.