torque for wheels

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't put too much torque on the tires, but I would torque the lug nuts to 120 foot pounds. :)

Peace
Dave

Dean-Pam

I carry a 1/2 in drive torque wrench in the basement. When we stop at rest areas and DW is taking care of things inside the camper, I recheck the lug nuts to 125. Do I need to do this as often as I do...no, but I am one of those people who would be safe than sorry. Plus I need to do something to stay out of DW way lol

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If I ever go 66 mph . . . do I need to replace my trailer tires? :confused:

I think many people overthink many things . . .

danemayer

The generic Heartland 2011 Trailer manual says:
Tighten all lug nuts to the specified torque of 120 ft-lbs.

The manual also says:
It is critical that the wheels be properly torqued at the start of the trip and every 50 miles for the first 500 miles of road operation. Although the wheels have been properly torqued before leaving the manufacturing plant, settling and wearing in of components during the first few miles of operation may cause some loosening of the wheel nuts.

You may also have to do this after a wheel is removed/reinstalled.

JohnD

The manual also says:

It is critical that the wheels be properly torqued at the start of the trip and every 50 miles for the first 500 miles of road operation. Although the wheels have been properly torqued before leaving the manufacturing plant, settling and wearing in of components during the first few miles of operation may cause some loosening of the wheel nuts.

For most of us, those first 500+ miles on our trailers were probably made by a delivery driver from the factory to the dealership.

Whom I'm sure probably never stopped every 50 miles to check the torque weight of the wheel lug nuts.

I don't own a torque wrench . . . but I guess I'd better get one!

I do carry one of those 4-way lug nut wrenches in the trailer (you may have seen it strapped to the basement wall along with the factory supplied manual slider wrench when we were in there at Central City).

justafordguy

For most of us, those first 500+ miles on our trailers were probably made by a delivery driver from the factory to the dealership.

Whom I'm sure probably never stopped every 50 miles to check the torque weight of the wheel lug nuts.

They don't check the air in the tires either.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JMHO, how often do you check the lug nuts on your car/truck. Checking the lug nuts one time on a new trailer should be enough. The drums, studs and lug nuts are all the same as cars and trucks. If you take a wheel off and torque the lug nuts in a crossing pattern. You should be good to go. I think the "check them several times in 500 miles" is a CYA thing for any screw ups in assembly.

JohnD

I think the "check them several times in 500 miles" is a CYA thing for any screw ups in assembly.

Or one of those things that any extended warranty company will use to get out of covering a payment (don't ask me how I know this - hint - extended warranty company left us hanging 1000 miles from home less than a year ago with our old Heartland Trail Runner).

Oh yeah . . . I said "Don't ask!".

danemayer

In my experience, at the first 2 stops, the lugnuts move when you put the torque wrench on them. By the 3rd stop they've settled in.

But I'm sure there are many people who tighten them when putting the wheel on and never go back - and they haven't suffered for it.

As they used to call out at the carnival when I was a kid: "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

JohnD

Our 2015 Prowler is at the dealership getting several warranty issues resolved . . .

When I get it back (hopefully next week) . . . I'll check the lug nuts!

caissiel

I a requirement for me. Already lpst 2 wheels on trailers after doing work. Also lost one on the rear of TV. Its not a pretty picture when it happens. I check the torque 3 times after any wheel removal including the car.
9/16 or 14mm are torqued at 140ftlb.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I retorqued the lug nuts 4 times when unit was new. Haven't checked them in about 6 months but did a couple of days ago and all were snugged up very slightly. Guess I need to check them more often.