Towing a 26rlss with 1/2 ton

GeneF

Just wondering if you are towing a 26rlss with a 1/2 ton pickup.

I have a 2013 26rlss and just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears and 6 speed.

I have only towed it twice and both trips about 100 miles round trip. This is in flat Florida tundra.

Using 5 manual and cruise control I averaged about 10 mpg.

I have had the truck and trailer weighed and all weights check out fine. I expect I might be a bit slow going up some inclines but I am in no hurry.

How are you doing with your setup?

pegmikef

I towed my 26LRSS with an F150 for a couple of months and then moved up to and F250 Diesel. I didn't really have any performance or safety issues but I felt i was always underpowered in the Texas Hill Country. The bonus was my MPG went up 3 to 4 miles depending on the terrain and wind

priorguy

I get about 16mpg with my F150 and 28brs but I haven't done a long hall yet. Just secondary highways but it is rather hilly in Northern Ontario. Speed limit is 90kph (55mph) but i cruise at 100-110 (60-65) to keep up with traffic on the two lane highway. Planning a maritime trip next year returning through Maine so I'll get a better idea what the real mileage is.

Truck is a supercrew shortbed 4X4 5.0L with 3:73 rear gear, I'm well below all my weights but I'd be border line with the 3:55 gear. I do use cruise control and tow/haul mode unless the tranny is hunting.

GeneF

Just an update.

We are on a 2 month trip and have currently towed from Florida to Maine.

I was very surprised how the 1500 towed the tt. No problems going up hills or staying at 60 to 65 mph. Averaging about 10 mpg but hit a high of 12 for one part of the trip.

The 2500 (2006 8.0 gasser 4:10 4 speed) that I owned towed the trailer very well also but I was lucky to get 8.5 mpg. The 2500 was a more solid truck but overall, I am just as happy with the 1500. (2013 5.3 3:42 6 speed) I think the 6 speed transmission makes a big difference in towing. In the flats I just leave it in Drive, tow haul and cruise if I can. In the rolling hills, I do manual 5, tow haul and cruise if I can.

The trailer seemed light with both trucks so I am assuming that this is a characteristic of the trailer. Tongue weight is about 10 to 11% which is on the light side. No sway at all other than a bit of suction from the 18 wheelers.

Without the trailer I get about 22 on the highway and about 18 running around. The 2500 was about 15 on the highway and about 11 to 12 running around.