Towmax Tires

Westlake
56df1f8003e33f18fa344319c4dcb66e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PondSkum

I was just curious, since I am in a tire situation also with my RW. Those people with the Sailun or Goodyear steel tires, have any of you experienced a blowout with one of those tires? I'm just curious how all that steel belting reacts during a blowout. If it is more or less violent than the "Blowmax" tires. The Blowmax did a significant amount of damage to the side of my trailer, would the other tires be less, more or about the same type of damage during a blowout? I've come to the conclusion that you cannot think "IF I have a blowout", it's "WHEN I have a blowout". And I'd like to know what to look forward to. LOL

danemayer

I was just curious, since I am in a tire situation also with my RW. Those people with the Sailun or Goodyear steel tires, have any of you experienced a blowout with one of those tires? I'm just curious how all that steel belting reacts during a blowout. If it is more or less violent than the "Blowmax" tires. The Blowmax did a significant amount of damage to the side of my trailer, would the other tires be less, more or about the same type of damage during a blowout? I've come to the conclusion that you cannot think "IF I have a blowout", it's "WHEN I have a blowout". And I'd like to know what to look forward to. LOL

We had Goodyear G614s on our Landmark. At about 4 years / 40,000 miles, one of them had the tread unzip. The tire pressure on the TPMS dropped about 10 lbs. but didn't trigger an alarm. The tire, less tread, stayed intact. I was watching the TPMS after noticing the pressure drop, but since it was stable, I didn't stop and see what was going on. At lunch, about 100 miles down the road, we saw what had happened. The steel belts under the tread survived but looked pretty rough.

As the tread unzipped, it took out the fender and nearby j-wrap. With full body paint, the cost of repair was $2,773 which was reimbursed by Goodyear along with $552 for mobile service to bring out a new G614 and install it. Btw, Goodyear appears to be the only company with a damage reimbursement policy (not warranty) on selected RV tires, including the G614 and I think the G114.

Hopefully last question about these but what would be a good price? I'm finding them locally at Big-O for under $700 for 4.

Anyone know if Big-O carries these Sailun tires nationwide? If they do, that would make it easy to find a shop via Google while traveling if something were to happen to a tire.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
The one with 25 in DOT ID shows to be Shandong Yongtai Chemical Group

I did not find the 00 or OO and have contacted a friend in the Industry

tireman9

We had Goodyear G614s on our Landmark. At about 4 years / 40,000 miles, one of them had the tread unzip. The tire pressure on the TPMS dropped about 10 lbs. but didn't trigger an alarm. The tire, less tread, stayed intact. I was watching the TPMS after noticing the pressure drop, but since it was stable, I didn't stop and see what was going on. At lunch, about 100 miles down the road, we saw what had happened. The steel belts under the tread survived but looked pretty rough.

As the tread unzipped, it took out the fender and nearby j-wrap. With full body paint, the cost of repair was $2,773 which was reimbursed by Goodyear along with $552 for mobile service to bring out a new G614 and install it. Btw, Goodyear appears to be the only company with a damage reimbursement policy (not warranty) on selected RV tires, including the G614 and I think the G114.

If your TPMS showed a sudden pressure drop of 10 psi why didn't you have it checked out? In multi-axle application, the tires should always be running at least the tire sidewall pressure to keep the Interply Shear forces lower which will lower the tendency for a belt separation.

danemayer

If your TPMS showed a sudden pressure drop of 10 psi why didn't you have it checked out? In multi-axle application, the tires should always be running at least the tire sidewall pressure to keep the Interply Shear forces lower which will lower the tendency for a belt separation.

The drop didn't trigger a TPMS alarm, so I didn't notice it as a sudden drop. When I did notice it, my first thought was that I might have a slow leak. But as I watched the display over the next 30 minutes, the pressure held steady at around 115 psi on the failed tire and around 125 on the others (best I recall). Cold pressure that morning was 110 on all tires.

Looking back, I agree with you. I should have stopped and investigated as soon as I noticed the drop in pressure.

NYSUPstater

Old 5er had LT tires at 80 psi and when I replaced them a couple years ago, went w/ a known national brand (name escapes me at the moment). Never had a problem and ran 70 mph all the time on the interstates weighing 13,000 (5er). New BC came thru w/ Sailun's. So far so good. As for Westlake, Towmax, Hercules(?), personally, I'd stay clear of them and go w/ a name brand. If LT's and 80 psi, Michlin, Cooper, GY (NOT Marathon) are good choices. As for ST's, only 2 I would go with are Sailun's an GY (tho GY are $$$$$). Sailun's been around for few years now and seem to have a proven track record.

PondSkum

I asked Discount Tire about Sailun tires and they said they didn't sell them. I have an account there, so I'd rather be able to use them if I need to replace tires. So I ended up with Goodyear Endurance, which I'm hoping should be a decent upgrade from "BlowMax". The G614's are a bit out of my price range at the moment at $350 each at Discount Tire. I may have to put those off for a little while.

Westwind

Goodyear Endurance is a new product in the trailer tire market, please keep us posted on the performance of the tires should you get them installed on your
trailer. Supposedly they were developed to provide a replacement to previous Goodyear trailer tire products.