Trailer Backing

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you are using radios both parties need to practice, especially if you are not accustomed to them. People speaking before the radio even keys up is a common issue. Sometimes the word STOP is spoken before the radios have a chance to even connect.

Radios are a good tool, but if you are using a back up person and you can't see that person in the mirror then your foot needs to stay on the brake.

My job requires that whenever backing we have a backup person. We all have our ways but my procedure is the passenger gets out and goes to the left rear side of the rig, near the corner. I want my backup person to move where he/she want the rear of the rig and when that person goes out of sight in the mirrors I don't move until they walk back into view.

Just about a year ago I went to the funeral for an Elizabeth, NJ veteran firefighter close to retirement. The engine pulled up on a working fire, the FF got out to back his driver into position, the backer slipped on the ice, the driver didn't see him and ran over the FF, killing him instantly. One FF lost and another's life ruined.

Be careful.

Make it clear to your spouse that you will not move if you can't see him/her.

I didn't mean to imply that I have her stand BEHIND the trailer. Once I point out where I want the rig to end up, I have her stand off to the side at the rear of the rig. And she's pretty good with the radio. If it get's confusing, I stop, get out and take another look.

I read about that tragic incident you mentioned. Two things I enforce are spotters and wheel chocks on running vehicles, if the driver gets out.

porthole

Retired
It's amazing I haven't taken out my fence(s), garage or storage canopy yet.

Why jinx yourself now

I didn't mean to imply that I have her stand BEHIND the trailer. Once I point out where I want the rig to end up, I have her stand off to the side at the rear of the rig. And she's pretty good with the radio. If it Gert's confusing, I stop, get out and take another look.

I read about that tragic incident you mentioned. Two things I enforce are spotters and wheel chocks on running vehicles, if the driver gets out.

I was just making a general comment and not pointing fingers. Keeping a back up person in sight all the time is crucial and can be critical.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why jinx yourself now

I was just making a general comment and not pointing fingers. Keeping a back up person in sight all the time is crucial and can be critical.

Didn't think you were, Duane. But after reading some of the other comments, it seemed I was as explicit as I should have been. I can be a little anal about safety to some. Maybe that's why I get tagged occasionally to be ISO (and I teach the "official" class).

Jim-n-Leslie

I put my cell phone on speaker and set it on the dash. My wife calls me and she guides me to where I need to go... Then I have to stop and pull forward, then she guides me to where I have to go... Then I stop and pull forward, then she guides me to where I need to go... :rolleyes:
Jim