Transfer switch issues

Blue Oval

Hello everyone, I have a 2014 RW 310 and cannot get the generator to run anything in the unit. I know it is an automatic transfer switch, but is there anything I can check to see if it is in fact the switch or something else?

Thanks, Steve

wdk450

This is a great argument for 3 sets of 2 neon (or LED) lamps wired to the incoming/outgoing 120 volt circuits on the transfer switch for easy problem diagnosis.

danemayer

If you're comfortable around 110V, you can check out the transfer switch. I'd suggest getting a $20 non-contact voltage tester from a local hardware store. Skip the $10 testers. A Voltmeter will also be needed to figure things out.

We have some manuals that may be a help. Here's a link.

Use care. There's enough current going through the transfer switch to seriously injure or kill. If you're not sure what you're doing, get a licensed electrician or certified RV tech.

Blue Oval

Guess I'll defer to a licensed electrician. I'm pretty handy with most things, but I don't play with the juice.

Blue Oval

Did you cycle the breaker on the genset?? Sometimes it will trip and not move the lever.
I tried that. Didn't make a difference. I hooked up to shore power while the genny was running hoping it might trip something then discounted the the shore power. Still didn't work.

jimtoo

Wasn't there something a while back about the transfer switch having a plastic lockout tab in it when it comes as option for generator ready and no generator installed? Maybe the tab is still in the transfer switch. I don't know what to look for myself, but think someone said it was yellow. Maybe disconnect from shore power and remove cover to switch and look for something keeping contacts from closing when gen started.

Jim M

Blue Oval

Wasn't there something a while back about the transfer switch having a plastic lockout tab in it when it comes as option for generator ready and no generator installed? Maybe the tab is still in the transfer switch. I don't know what to look for myself, but think someone said it was yellow. Maybe disconnect from shore power and remove cover to switch and look for something keeping contacts from closing when gen started.

Jim M
I checked no tab that I could see. Up to now the Genny has run great. Used last year for three straight days while dry camping at the Bristol races. IDK

rxbristol

I once ruined a transfer switch by switching from electric power to gen power under full load. The relays could not take it. So now, I first turn off high loads, disconnect shore power and then start the generator. Maybe too much of a safety precaution, but I've never had another problem. It's no fun to be without power.

Blue Oval

I don't recall doing that prior to trying it yesterday just to see if it would trip something, but I guess it is possible that I caused the issue.

scottyb

Check the wiring connections in the J-box, outside the generator. There has been an issue with loose wiring in the past. Mine was the possible culprit for 2 failed transfer switches.

Blue Oval

Problem solved..... New generator with less than 30 hrs on the clock. Checked the oil... It was low but still showing on the dip stick. Took a shoot in the dark and added oil. She fired up and immediately heard the transfer switch kick in and she is running everything. Must a have sensor in the computer if it is even slightly low on oil it won't run anything. Not burning or leaking oil. Guess I'll have to monitor it to see if goes down again.

rxbristol

Problem solved..... New generator with less than 30 hrs on the clock. Checked the oil... It was low but still showing on the dip stick. Took a shoot in the dark and added oil. She fired up and immediately heard the transfer switch kick in and she is running everything. Must a have sensor in the computer if it is even slightly low on oil it won't run anything. Not burning or leaking oil. Guess I'll have to monitor it to see if goes down again.

If you have a bad relay, it may run OK for awhile and then, mysteriously, the power will cut out again. If you lose power again, open the transfer switch cover and see if it has fault lights--these may help you in troubleshooting. Also, like scottyb stated, check to make sure all connections are TIGHT. Thermal expansion, usually during high current load, will cause a loose connection to open just enough to trip the relay.

Blue Oval

If you have a bad relay, it may run OK for awhile and then, mysteriously, the power will cut out again. If you lose power again, open the transfer switch cover and see if it has fault lights--these may help you in troubleshooting. Also, like scottyb stated, check to make sure all connections are TIGHT. Thermal expansion, usually during high current load, will cause a loose connection to open just enough to trip the relay.

So you don't think it was related to the oil level being low? I tried prior to adding the oil and it wouldn't run anything. I then added the oil and everything works. Maybe it was just a fluke.

wrgrs50s

I was under the impression that the oil switch only shuts the generator(engine)down when too low. Sounds like a look at the transfer switch may be necessary

rxbristol

So you don't think it was related to the oil level being low? I tried prior to adding the oil and it wouldn't run anything. I then added the oil and everything works. Maybe it was just a fluke.

When mine went bad, I could run it for sometime before it cut out again. Then it only got worse. But, you never know, maybe the gremlin has left. Let us know what happens.

danemayer

If the generator doesn't supply 110V on L1, the transfer switch won't activate. So there could be a situation where the generator is running but doesn't have enough power output to trigger the transfer switch. Could also be a poor connection between genny and switch. Or a loose wire at the switch. Or other things.

scottyb

I agree with Dan. Intermittent power sounds like loose connection(s). When I finally discovered my loose connections in the J-box, the wires were scorched from arcing. I never had the problem again after that.