Trucked Wrecked

gratton

My spring camping has been put on hold. Around 2:00 AM Monday morning someone ran right into the front of my truck parked in front of my house. He hit it with such force that the right front tire was pushed up over the curb, and this is a 3500. Then he drove off, I don't know how he did it but he did. Turns out he only lives a block and a half from me. The police were able to find him because he horn was still going off and the followed the sound. When they pulled up he was trying to get it shut off and in his garage as to not get caught. He spent the rest of his night in jail. And I only have 3 more payments left on it. We are just thankful that we were not in it at the time. 100_2375.JPG000_0023.jpg000_0024.jpg

jimtoo

Hi Ken,

Man,, that's ashame, sorry it happened. But they did catch the guy,,, so his insurance should pay off without much problem. A good body shop should have you out in a week or so. Does not look like to much damage.,, What the heck was he driving to get under it like that??

Keep us informed.

Jim M

jbeletti

Wow Ken - that's terrible. I see it's a 2005. Did the insurance company total it? May be time to shop for a 2011 truck to mate with that 2011 RV :)

Sorry for the loss and best of luck on the next steps.

Jim

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a bummer!!! Glad they got him. It's one thing when it gets wrecked while you are driving but it's a whole different thing when it's just sitting still in front of your house. Let us know what the insurance is going to do.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry about your truck Ken. JB, unless it has bad frame damage it takes alot of $$$$ to total his truck. Ken your truck doesn't look too bad...but you will not know until they have the bumper off and check the frame rails. The 2011 Chevy's are a great truck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's a heck of a way to ruin the day!! It's really sad there are people around that try to pull that $#!+ off. I hope he at least had insurance. The fact that he tried to get away leads me to wonder if he does. Good luck with repairs and all. I'd almost hate to shop for a new truck right about now.

rustyshakelford

That's a heck of a way to ruin the day!! It's really sad there are people around that try to pull that $#!+ off. I hope he at least had insurance. The fact that he tried to get away leads me to wonder if he does. Good luck with repairs and all. I'd almost hate to shop for a new truck right about now.

It happened around 2 so I would imagine he was heading home from the bar. Probably didn't want to get hit with a DUI. Luckily it was a parked car instead of one full of passengers.

Sorry about your truck. That stinks. I hope you come out alright considering it's almost paid for.

Brett

gratton

Received an estimate from the adjuster of the insurance company for the guy who hit me, came in about $6200. Going to get it towed to the repair shop on Monday and will see how much it is really going to cost. In the police report the guy said that the reason he drove off was because he did not want to wake anyone up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might want to get it estimated by your insurance adjuster, as well. That way when the bum's insurance balks at your estimate from the repair shop, you'll have some extra ammo.

It's been many years, but I've had two cars bumped off the street and onto the neighbor's lawn by drunks. First was in daylight, ripped the crap out of his front end and his car died in the middle of the street about 100 yards down. The second was late at night and just after I had parked and gone inside the house. Heard the boom, saw my car near the neighbor's porch with the rear end a mess, and called the cops. We followed the tracks in the fresh snow to another house a few doors down and found the car behind the garage with the drunk still in it.

I never parked in the street again.

Crumgater

Wow. I didn't think it looked that bad either - thought the front deer catcher caught most of it - 'til I noticed the tire was pushed all the way off the wheel and the hood was crumpled a bit. Yikes. That was a LOT of force. I'm amazed the other guy could drive away in once piece... Glad no one was hurt!

cgunn

Well I'm glad nobody was hurt....
I hope your insurance treats you as well as ours did (Farmers).
This last December my wife and I were coming back from
Telluride,CO over Dallas Divide from our daughters house.
We were in convoy of about 10 cars & trucks.
Thank the Lord we were NOT pulling the Bighorn.
Anyway we slid off road into ditch and turned up onto passenger side.
They totaled the truck...2005 F-350 6.0 SRW.
Luck and The Good Lord was with us and we weren't hurt,just shook up.
Well bottom line is after insurance settlement we bought a 2 year newer
truck with 50,000 less miles than old truck....and it's a dually!!!!!
And had a few bucks left over....Holey-Moley!!!
We had Angels riding with us that day.....for SURE!!!

Attachments

• Red Truck.jpg
    Red Truck.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 66
  • Red Truck 011.JPG
    Red Truck 011.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 83

gratton

Talked to the body shop on Friday and we are getting pretty close to getting the truck back. They were sending it to a dealer for the front end alignment. Since it's a 1 ton they can not put it on their machine. Said it was all painted and looks good, so they say. I hope to get it back mid week. Big delay has been the body shop having to fight with the insurance company of the guy that hit me to get the proper amount of payment for the required work.

gratton

Well I'm glad nobody was hurt....
I hope your insurance treats you as well as ours did (Farmers).
This last December my wife and I were coming back from
Telluride,CO over Dallas Divide from our daughters house.
We were in convoy of about 10 cars & trucks.
Thank the Lord we were NOT pulling the Bighorn.
Anyway we slid off road into ditch and turned up onto passenger side.
They totaled the truck...2005 F-350 6.0 SRW.
Luck and The Good Lord was with us and we weren't hurt,just shook up.
Well bottom line is after insurance settlement we bought a 2 year newer
truck with 50,000 less miles than old truck....and it's a dually!!!!!
And had a few bucks left over....Holey-Moley!!!
We had Angels riding with us that day.....for SURE!!!

Very glad to hear that you were all ok. I have been over Dallas Divide a few times. We vacation every year in Ouray. Have been going there for about 15 years now. We stay down at the 4J campground in town.

Ray LeTourneau

Talked to the body shop on Friday and we are getting pretty close to getting the truck back. They were sending it to a dealer for the front end alignment. Since it's a 1 ton they can not put it on their machine. Said it was all painted and looks good, so they say. I hope to get it back mid week. Big delay has been the body shop having to fight with the insurance company of the guy that hit me to get the proper amount of payment for the required work.
I bet it will look as good as new. Shouldn't you're insurance company be doing the battle for you and you're body shop against the other guys insurance? Unless the repairs were more than the original quote it should be a done deal.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Ken and Kim,
Don't want you guys to feel all alone out there. Earlier this week while relocating my brake controller in my own driveway I inadvertenly knock my 2002 F250 SD out of gear and she beagn to role. And she roled ever so smoothly and quietly until my open drivers door struck the side of my barn and bent it all the way around to meet the front fender. Boy did I feel like an "A" "SS". While lying across the floor from the passenger side I ever so slight moved the transfer case shifter and off to the races she went. Total Insurance est. was $3,500. New BH due in any day and no tow vehicle. Vehicle at body shop but this is a holiday week so I don't expect to see it until around the 28th. Lets hope it only gets better.

jnbhobe

I bet it will look as good as new. Shouldn't you're insurance company be doing the battle for you and you're body shop against the other guys insurance? Unless the repairs were more than the original quote it should be a done deal.

Ray; I'm not sure about all states but here in Pa. if my vehicle is not at fault I don't involve my insurance compamy. Mostly because the more the company knows the higher your rates go, and I don;t think you should be punished by higher rates for accidents that are not your fault. It is nice to have someone elce to fight with their insurance co. I also have to deal with the fact of commerical insurance and personal insurance. See ya in Goshen, Jon

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The times I've been hit by someone else, I let my insurance company know. They took the other guy's insurance info and told me if they hassle, call back. No rate hikes.

Ray LeTourneau

The times I've been hit by someone else, I let my insurance company know. They took the other guy's insurance info and told me if they hassle, call back. No rate hikes.
Ditto, what John says. Although I have never had an accident claim. Progressive (trailer) and 21st Century (truck) are my carriers and both have a no fault deal promising no rate increase. They also say they will do battle for me with the "other guy".

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Murry, don't you have to step on the brake pedal to get your TV out of "park"?? I though that all vehicles, by law, had to be equiped that way.