TV reception

vbluemke

Wow can you tell I am on my maiden voyage...lol
We are at a state park that is prairie. No trees to block reception, yet we are unable to get any channels except a very weak local one. Signal booster behind tv is on. ?????

danemayer

Hi vbluemke,

Considering your other post about interference from the LED, it seems like you may have a weak signal between antenna and TV. Youll want to inspect all the coax connectors, from the antenna, at the signal booster, and at the TV.

Sometimes the coax connectors are not screwed in tightly. You should also check that the connector is not loose on the wire and there are no stray ground wires from the shield in contact with the center conductor.

When you pull the signal booster down to check, be careful not to short the power connections to the cable connectors or you'll blow a fuse.

There could also be a barrel connector located above the antenna pointer.

If you have a 25' coax line, before tearing into the interior connections, you might try running it directly from the antenna rooftop connector to the TV connector. If the signal improves, you'll know you have a poor connection inside.

sengli

When our bedroom LED lighting is on, we cant get any signal to our TV's as well. Turn off those bedroom lights and we are good to go with either of the TV's. Ours if definitely an RFI issue with the lighting in our bedroom only. I have gone thru our coach and tightened the coax connections. I think there is a flaky ground somewhere.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When our bedroom LED lighting is on, we cant get any signal to our TV's as well. Turn off those bedroom lights and we are good to go with either of the TV's. Ours if definitely an RFI issue with the lighting in our bedroom only. I have gone thru our coach and tightened the coax connections. I think there is a flaky ground somewhere.
We were getting TV antenna reception, but no cable TV.

Danemayer helped us out at the Colorado Fall HOC Rally a couple of months back and we got the cable to work, but it still wasn't right.

I ended up removing every factory installed splitter , which was a tremendous help, but still was not getting a good cable signal to the living room TV.

I pulled the Fussion stereo/CD/DVD player out of the entertainment center and discovered one more splitter behind it.

This splitter went to the radio and back to the wall plate coax connection.

The instant I unplugged the radio coax from the splitter . . . immediate perfect cable to the living room TV.

I played around with this and determined that either the radio or the coax antenna connect to the radio is bad . . . so now have no radio in the trailer.

I was only pulling in one or two radio stations on it in my yard when I should have been pulling in at least 20 stations.

It is at the dealership getting warranty repairs done and hopefully they will get this hooked up the way it should be!

ProwlerEntCenter-P1000301.jpg

Bigger TV coming soon . . . this was the big TV in our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner.

By the way, our awning LED lights don't seem to affect our TV reception.

wdk450

I don't think it is a flaky ground - it is the buck boost electronic circuit for the LEDS producing Radio Frequency Interference - Which is technically illegal, and devices that do this should not be sold in the United States, but you can guess how overwhelmed the FCC is with every digital device potentially producing RFI.

I suggest you look at the following webpage: http://digitalrv.rvtravel.com/2013/12/does-led-lighting-put-your-rv-tv-on.html

I would complain to Heartland about this. I don't think that checking how the TV reception is with the LED lighting on was a check they did when they produced the prototype trailers with this new lighting. You can "sniff" for RFI sources with a transistor radio on AM tuned between stations at the lower end of the dial.