TV's and winter weather

We just bought a 2013 Wilderness 3175RE which came with a 32 inch TV which is mounted in the rear cabinet and it goes up and down with a power switch. It is mounted onto a rack assembly which retracts when traveling. My question is since it's winter time, should the TV be removed from the rack assembly or is it OK to leave it in the trailer over winter.

danemayer

Hi Paul,

This must be a seasonal question as it also came up around this same time last year. My recollection is that most LCD TVs are spec'd to be ok down to around zero degrees F. I recall that Jensen claims a more rugged cold storage spec.

Best thing to do is look at the owners manual and see what it says about Temperature Range for Storage.

olcoon

I'm no expert by any means, barely know how to switch from watching the TV to watching a DVD. But what comes to my mind is that from the time they leave the factory to the store where you by the TV it's exposed to a lot of temp changes from high heat to extreme cold while being transported. There may be a low & high temp to avoid, I did a quick google search, & found a several answers, but all I looked at were from people like us...not necessarily experts.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I recall, the TV's are OK being left in the cold so long as they're allowed to warm to over 32 deg. or so before plugging them in and turning them on. Bigger hazard is some schmuck breaking into your rig and stealing them over the winter.

evolvingpowercat

The following applies to both LED and LCD screen TV types, it should be generally true for all brands: The television can be placed in storage with environmental temperatures between -4 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit (F) and 20-90% Relative Humidity (RH). The recommended temperature for proper operation is between 41°F to 96°F.

Kbvols

Paul we have a cabin which we do not keep heated. I have kept an LCD TV in the cabin for 5 years no issues. It has been below freezing many times for days/weeks at a time and often goes from very cold to very warm after the wood stove gets cranked up. I try not to turn it on when below 40deg you should be ok with leaving it in your RV.

Thank you. That is about as official as it can get. It nearly never gets to -4 F in chilly Philly, but just as I say that it probably will next week, but I appreciate the advice.

caissiel

My LCD radio in the truck will not light up when cold. And I spend a winter up north with it still in the truck at temperatures of -40f. But hardly could heat the cab enough for it to come on. 6 years old and still trouble free.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It was 10deg F yesterday morning when I left for my 24 hr. FD shift. Remote start worked just fine and all systems were go. Truck was toasty when I got in it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have both a 19" and a 26" Vizio LED TV's mounted in our 2013 Trail Runner, and I'm pretty sure that leaving them in the camper over the winter shouldn't hurt them.

Although I hate the thought of those two nice TV's just sitting in the camper all the time and only being used three or four times a year.

I might just bring them in the house and use them when not camping and retire some of our old regular TV's.

Campout2012-PC260022.jpg