UDC Shower Upgrading

teasac69

I've always thought the UDC shower was a great concept to provide some hot water outside for washing up grease or grime that Dawn and hot water would address. The last trip out, I tried to use that UDC shower and it was a pitiful trickle of water. The shower head has a trigger on it but doesn't work very well. Guess I was pretty disappointed in the functionality of the shower. So, guess others have had this problem and done some upgrading to the shower??? suggestions? use a replacement kitchen sink shower nozzle? how do you get more hose? seems it only has about 2.5 feet of hose and won't reach the ground or get much away from the coach side and UDC to avoid nasty splatters?? anyone been down this road?

you guys always have great tips and ideas, just coming back to the mountain :)

jimtoo

You may need to remove the shower hose and head and check for foreign material blocking the flow control screens. Even remove the screens is what I would do.

danemayer

Hi Tim and Becky,

If cleaning screens doesn't help, look behind the UDC to make sure none of the hoses are pinched.

GOTTOYS

Mine started leaking from a cracked plastic fitting (surprise!). I capped it off and now use a tee fitting by the water hose connection at the supply. Only cold water but much better pressure and volume. Of course if you're boon docking that won't work...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I keep planning to cap off the supply to it and remove the shower completely, since it's next to useless and makes a mess when winterizing it. From my homemade manifold, I have a spigot with a 25ft. length of that expanding hose/flexa-hose, or whatever it's called. It takes up little space at the bottom of the UDC cabinet but give plenty for pressure and reach for cleaning whatever. No need for hot water out there for me. If I'm doing "dirty work" outside, I wear work gloves or disposable gloves.

sdwelling

I haven't used my outdoor shower at the UDC for anything other than flushing the black tank. If I want an outdoor shower, I connect a diverter valve at the source (only when glamping) and run a garden hose.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
jon, Jon, JOn, JON. Oh well guess he is inside blow drying his hair now.:mad:

Last edited:
This is a good question. The Bighorn outdoor shower is a cheaper version of what other trailers have with a quick disconnect and about 15' of hose. It also looks to me like a mess waiting to happen. If anything freezes in the Bighorn, it will first be that shower. Moreover, the way the short hose routs back behind the compartment wall, you'll discover your leak when water finally flows (floods) out of the bottom of the trailer. I'm trying to decide if there is a way to replace the original shower with a more standard disconnect version. Looks like if you replace the shower, you'll need to add pex tubing, which will require expensive equipment or hiring a tech. Probably the best solution would to use a Y on your water connection and a garden hose. Too bad Heartland uses such a cheap shower on such a nice, expensive trailer. They use quick disconnects on many of their less expensive trailers. Guess they're just trying to save a few bucks?