Underbelly Covering

BarneyFife

Not exactly what its called. I'm talking about the covering that runs down the entire rig underneath.

Ours has already begun sagging quite a bit in the center near the axle area. So I ask, would it hurt anything to remove some or all of it eventually? If it sags much more, it would seem like more of a drag than anything. This is the first camper we've had with this and I'm just assuming its to help prevent freezing during winter trips. We're in NC and when the freezing weather comes, its usually winterized and underneath the shelter until spring.

An added feature. If that covering is gone, I can better inspect the underneath for any damage or things coming loose over time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever looked up there? I think you will be surprised at the amount of wires, hoses and heat ducts there.
I would not remove it.
One thing you could do is put some 2x4's across the frame resting on the flange of the I-beam, then screw the Coroplast to the 2x4's. That should prevent sagging.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Coroplast = corrugated plastic. As Dave said, removing it completely might not be the best idea since it tends to hold up and protect the wiring and duct work, amongs other things. Leave it wide open and rodents will know they've found the highway to heaven. Probably get some birds nesting in there, as well.

BarneyFife

How well do these typically protect underneath? The reason I ask is our camper was delivered during the winter time. There was a lot of salt grime on it when it arrived. The visible underside was cleaned very well before we took delivery, including the wheel assemblies. But if they don't do very well with road grime protection, there's no telling what lies behind that "coroplast".

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Take it down and have a look. Its a good way to get to know your coach.

Yes! But be prepared, it can take a lot of time and muscle to get it back up!!

I agree, your coach is not designed to be without this covering. Wires, pipes, insulation, etc run around in there.

The Coroplast is not a water-tight seal to the frame, so it is possible to get road spray in there. If you think the bulging is water trapped inside, I would take down a few screws and investigate, to see if you have a leak somewhere.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
A small mirror or a digital camera can be of help with looking around when you have a small portion opened up.

Birds will nest in there with it attached anyway. I have Starlings that use the hole for the slide-out hydraulic piston rods to get in and nest. I'm going to have to take it down to get the nest out before I pull it to Colorado this weekend. ;( Anyone know of a way to seal up those holes without causing damage to the piston rods?

Mike

branson4020

Icantre Member
Birds will nest in there with it attached anyway. I have Starlings that use the hole for the slide-out hydraulic piston rods to get in and nest. I'm going to have to take it down to get the nest out before I pull it to Colorado this weekend. ;( Anyone know of a way to seal up those holes without causing damage to the piston rods?

Mike

I used 16GA aluminum flashing material - about a 5" square with a hole in the middle. A half slit lets you slip it right over the rod. Secure with a couple of sheet metal screws or double sided foam tape.

porthole

Retired
If the Coraplast did nothing else it, would at least help with keeping the dirt - dust - road grime from accumulating on everything underneath. BTH, the "heated underbelly" works by having a hole cut into the HVAC under the floor, with the heated air just dumping into the void between the underbelly plastic and the floor.

Sandpirate69

I need a little information on how to repair the Coroplast. I just picked up my rig from the dealer. I had a water leak in my fresh water tanks, it turned out to be the water hose that connects one tank to the other. The dealer cut the coroplast in the middle and used sometype of black 5 or 6 in. wide black duct tape. They did a crappy job, so I was going to remove the coroplast and redo the sealing/taping up of the coroplast. Also look in to see what they really did up in there. Can anyone who's taken theirs off advise where I can get the same tape? Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If they didn't do it, I would take a 1x3 board and lay it across the width of the trailer and lay it on the inside flange of the I-beam frame.
Then I would screw the coroplast to that board. Then tape the seam.
Oh, and don't forget to clean the coroplast with mineral spirits before you tape.
Two tapes that I am familliar with are Gorilla Tape and Nashua Flashing Tape.

Peace
Dave

CactusTwo

People, people!! STOP putting wood under there, the words "water spray" and ROTTING comes to mind. When I cut into mine I cut it out in 48" wide strips. There is NO insulating value to the corroplast especially with those saggy points between the self drilling screws, but it does keep the smaller critters and small children from getting under in there, that's all, I used red 3M Tuk tape like the home builders use to seal the Tyvec house wrap because I don't see it and it sticks like "poop to a blanket"

brianharrison

Can anyone who's taken theirs off advise where I can get the same tape? Thanks in advance.

There is a tape made for this called Scrim Shield Tape. Click for link.

Hope this helps.

People, people!! STOP putting wood under there, the words "water spray" and ROTTING comes to mind. When I cut into mine I cut it out in 48" wide strips.

CactusTwo - Do you have an alternate suggestion for holding up the cut Coroplast? How did you hold up your 48" sheets? I have put 1x4 wood up in my underbelly a while ago and there is no water marks or stains on the wood. I am quite comfortable putting the wood up there to reinforce the coroplast or assist with a seam area.

Brian

Sandpirate69

it sticks like "poop to a blanket"
I don't remember how sticky poop can be, but thanks for the mental picture :D . Brian, that's the tape I was looking for. If I have to fix what the dealer put in under the belly, I have some 4" aluminum flat stock that I can use. I will tell you that HL uses sometype of particle wood under the fresh water tanks. Mine were soaked & moldy. As i stated in my previous post, the connector hose got chaffed by one of the crossmember or the like causing the water to leak onto the wood tank support. I took them a 4 X 8 Marine grade 3/4" plywood to use. I hope they used it and didn't take it home. :confused: