Urbanna, VA Rally Discussion Thread

jbeletti

For all registered attendees, the email just went out (around 8:30 pm CST, Tuesday, March 4), advising attendees of the Self Site Selection plan and a Step-by-Step guide on how to do it. I also added this to the rally portal (LINK).

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Re: Urbanna Rally Update for 3-March

Got the email and picked the site. Thanks Jim

Retyred

For all registered attendees, the email just went out (around 8:30 pm CST, Tuesday, March 4), advising attendees of the Self Site Selection plan and a Step-by-Step guide on how to do it. I also added this to the rally portal (LINK).

I have not received this email.

Martin

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have too made my site selection - on Holly 12. And for anyone who is interested ( or has a sat dish ) the first few roads starting at Sycamore seem to have more trees than the sites on the other end based on what Google Maps shows at least.
bethpage.jpg

Attachments

• bethpage.jpg
    bethpage.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 69

jbeletti

I have too made my site selection - on Holly 12. And for anyone who is interested ( or has a sat dish ) the first few roads starting at Sycamore seem to have more trees than the sites on the other end based on what Google Maps shows at least.

Satellite access is going to be really dicey. Bethpage does have cable though.

szewczyk_john

The satellite access made me ask a question. I usually boondocks so I have the satellite setup. But for those that go to these type resorts most of the time. Do you go through the process of hooking up the satellite or just plug into the cable box? I went with Juniper 3 corner lot, maybe a little extra room for the dogs.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
But for those that go to these type resorts most of the time. Do you go through the process of hooking up the satellite or just plug into the cable box?
Unless we are just overnighting I always set up the dish. But first use a couple of smart phone apps to determine if I will be able to see the satellites.
It only takes a little work and little time to set up, so why not.
But as a disclaimer, it has taken me several days to get the dish set up. Some times there are interruptions, which have priorities. Like talkers, beer, dinner invites, all taking precedence over the set up. :)

Peace
Dave

Vtxkid

We have DVR's that are use to recording certain programs at different times so I try to set it up if we're at any location over a day or two...

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Recumbent - that shot from google earth looks like the 2007 picture. The latest shot was make in June 2011 and those trees on the west end have grown. We have a roof mount dish but are planning on bringing the tri-pod dish as well. We are not fans of cable tv because most campgrounds haven't upgraded their cable setup to accommodate HD tvs, therefore the picture is fuzzy/snowy. Being that close to Richmond/Norfork area, hopefully the air channels will come in pretty good.

Lou_and_Bette

Picked out site, Holly 16, I know we will have good neighbors. Jim the process was very easy with no problems. Thanks for all you do to prepare for this rally. Bette

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Recumbent - that shot from google earth looks like the 2007 picture. The latest shot was make in June 2011 and those trees on the west end have grown. We have a roof mount dish but are planning on bringing the tri-pod dish as well. We are not fans of cable tv because most campgrounds haven't upgraded their cable setup to accommodate HD tvs, therefore the picture is fuzzy/snowy. Being that close to Richmond/Norfork area, hopefully the air channels will come in pretty good.

Those are Pine trees and they have grown considerably. Satellite shots will be hit and miss depending on the site you are on. Some folks will be able to get it, some won't, and some will have to move their dish several times to get it. I'll probably try to get my Tailgater to work, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it. The cable there has always been pretty good in the past (not HD though).

jbeletti

...Jim the process was very easy with no problems. Thanks for all you do to prepare for this rally. Bette

Bette - thank you so much for the comments. Julie and I both work very hard to produce an event that is memorable and as easy as we can make it to register for. Looking forward to seeing you and Lou (and Milo too) again.

jbeletti

Those are Pine trees and they have grown considerably. Satellite shots will be hit and miss depending on the site you are on. Some folks will be able to get it, some won't, and some will have to move their dish several times to get it. I'll probably try to get my Tailgater to work, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it. The cable there has always been pretty good in the past (not HD though).

You're right on the "hit and miss" Gus. Pretty dense canopy. I'd say the end sites bordering Cypress or Virginia will have the best luck at a satellite shot - especially with a portable dish and some length of cable.

So everyone knows, we plan to keep the Site Selection window open for quite a while. So feel free to move yourself to another site if you wish, using the same process used to select your initial site. Never know, maybe later, someone will move out of the site you want and that site then becomes available :)

I cannot begin to tell everyone how much of a load (and teeth gnashing :)), self site selection takes off the club staff (Julie and I). For those attendees that attend the Goshen rally on the odd-numbered years, think of this method as sort of a trial run as we NEED to do something different as our heads (Julie, Kevin and I) nearly exploded in 2013 trying to accommodate specific siting requests.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Jim I can not imagine the hours of time you guys spend on all the fine details but it definitely has paid off well and has shown through the easy process to registrar for the rally and being able to pick your site. I love this idea I wish we could do it for all rallies. Thank you to you, Julie and your staff for all the hard work that goes into putting on an event of this size. We are so excited to be attending this rally as it is our first National that we are able to attend and hopefully next year rally will also work into our schedule.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Picked out site, Holly 16, I know we will have good neighbors. Jim the process was very easy with no problems. Thanks for all you do to prepare for this rally. Bette
Yes. Bette the west will be just a couple of sites down and also another couple from Florida and Jim I would also like to thank you and Julie, the process has
been really easy. Linda

dalspot

Just did this up quickly.... There are two folks that are not in the rally group sites.

I will keep updated as best I can. If you see an error, or if you change your site, please send me a PM

This is a link to an off-site file, the image will change as I update.

Karen

sites-names.jpg

jbeletti

Cool graphic Karen - thanks! With attendees able to change sites, it may me a chore to update your map. But maybe update your map on the the 15th of March, April and May? We currently plan to lock it down on May 15 and deliver a final site list to Bethpage.

I placed a link of your map on the rally portal too.