USB/120v plug-in

dlw930

While shopping for a replacement TV at Sam's Club, I spotted these plug in's that don't require any wiring....just plug in and you're ready to charge your smartphone or tablet!

3cc3faa8195305160b72fc3fba91cf2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Seems like a wasted 110v outlet.

Why not get something like this...you get 6 plugs AND 2 USB.
View attachment 40031

I had a similar one only it had four outlets and two usb ports, but after my bad neutral problem, that fried my microwave/convection oven, I replaced it with a heavy duty surge protector with two usb ports. Now all my 110 electronics are protected. We found a single outlet surge protector at Lowe's for the new microwave/convection oven. BTW the loose neutral problem occurred at the 110 circuit breaker panel so was not detected by the EMS as the panel is after the EMS.

Greengas

I've used those as well but a word of warning. One of those usb outlets is rated at 1 amp and the other is 2.4 amps. That means that if you have a tablet and a newer smart phone you will be able to charge one item at the fastest rate while the other item will charge slowly since it will only get 1 amp. Still works and still great just know that it has limitations.

CarterKraft

I've used those as well but a word of warning. One of those usb outlets is rated at 1 amp and the other is 2.4 amps. That means that if you have a tablet and a newer smart phone you will be able to charge one item at the fastest rate while the other item will charge slowly since it will only get 1 amp. Still works and still great just know that it has limitations.

This is the biggest problem I have found with all these devices, they are all amp-limited.
All my devices are 2 amp capable so having anything less is painfully slow.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not to hyjack the thread, but it is a very good idea to have electronics plugged into surge surpressors inside the coach as well. When we had our power cord fry, the TV was unfortunately only plugged into a multi-plug strip, not a surge protected strip. It let out the factory smoke. Our other electronic devices, including my laptop and other work-related devices, were all plugged into surge protected outlets. Some of the surge protectors fried as well, but no damage to the components.

For my "office" I have a very nice battery backup and line conditioning surge protector/UPS. It appeared to work correctly when the power went off, switching over to battery. Well, a number of days later when we were confident the rig was OK to use again, I tried plugging everything in as before to the UPS. The UPS started smelling "funny," like burned toast. I guess it was actually TOAST. I replaced it.

ksucats

That UPS did its job and gave it all for your devices safety.

To all -- even though you don't actually have one fry it is a good idea to replace your surge protectors every so often anyway. The MOVs within them (I'll call them capacitors for lack of a better word as I'm not an electrical engineer) take the surges and then let the voltage go back into the power stream slowly. They get very hot and will melt / burn if they get hot enough. Each hit takes a bit of their life.